Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My first visit to Disneyland. Does anyone have any must-sees?

I'm going to Disneyland for my first time this week and I only have one day to explore the parks. Since my time there is so brief, I wondered what should I definitely not miss? I'm looking for secrets that most people might not know to check out or might miss on their first visit.

For instance, I've heard that I should definitely check out the Disney Gallery.

Also, are there any interesting mementos that you can get for free or cheap? (I've heard that sometimes the jungle cruise skippers have special maps).

Any help you can offer is GREATLY appreciated!!!

• Bring Your Own Redemption

Re: My first visit to Disneyland. Does anyone have any must-sees?

You don't want to miss Fantasmic! or the Remember... Dreams Come True firework spectacular. That's for sure...

• Popular Princess

you're right, don't miss the disney gallery. also, watch fantasmic and the fireworks.
    I'd rather be at Disneyland

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

You should go on Haunted Mansion, Pirates, and I would recommend you see the Remember fireworks show as well. I am not a fireworks show type person at all, but when I went last August, the chatters suggested that I see this show and I LOVED IT! I think it's perhaps the best disneyland fireworks show I have seen .

The Disney Gallery is also a nice stop.

Remember that the Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion rides take in MANY riders per hour. So if there is a chance that their lines look long, still get in them because the lines move fast. Matterhorn has one of the slowest moving lines simply because it does not take all that many riders per hour.

• rockin butter sponge!

You must go check out New Orleans Square and all it has to offer. Definately set up a plan to watch the fireworks, you need to be in front of the Castle at the end of Main St. to get the best view/experience.

Enjoy the park!

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
    Matterhorn has one of the slowest moving lines simply because it does not take all that many riders per hour.

Go on Matterhorn, since it's the only Matterhorn in any park! The line moves pretty fast, actually -- even if it is wrapped completely around the mountain it's only 1/2 hour. (No fastpasses, so the line goes ten times faster than, say, Space Mountain standby).

Definitely do: Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Matterhorn, Space Mtn, Indiana Jones, Jungle Cruise, Remember Fireworks, Fantasmic (if it's going). I don't think Splash Mtn is up right now...

If you are doing DCA in all of that, the only thing really worth visiting DCA for is Soarin' (and possibly Tower of Terror). Bugs life is cute too, but don't spend much time in DCA.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• We wants the Redhead

Defenitly have to go on Pirates and Haunted Mansion... Have a wonderful magical first visit....
    Janet
    John 3:16

• Minion

Don't forget to go to City Hall and tell them it is your first time! You will get a button.
    Do you know what day you will be going?
    Also, try and go on a ride or 2 in Fantasyland (alice, peter pan, etc) I think those bring out the magic and fun of Disney and bring you back to being a kid! (note that peter pan is prob not the best idea line wise, but if the line is short, go on it!)

Wow, thanks so much for all the advice. Please keep it coming. I'm a former WDW cast member as well as former DCL crew member and have never been to the ORIGINAL park so I'm pretty excited. I'll be there on Valentines day!

• decorating

For me, the bronze spike in Fantasy line (disputed center of Disneyland when opened) and Snow White's Grotto
    Gotta see some old school.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by jayjayNY View Post
    Wow, thanks so much for all the advice. Please keep it coming. I'm a former WDW cast member as well as former DCL crew member and have never been to the ORIGINAL park so I'm pretty excited. I'll be there on Valentines day!
    Oh ok, that helps to know that you have been to a Disney Park b4! I have to agree with others that Matterhorn is a well worth thing! Have fun!

• Koubu Pilot

See Pirates of the Caribbean. It's about twice the size of WDW's and got a major refurb when the movie stuff was added.

Go on Haunted Mansion. You'd be suprised how the stretching rooms are essential here. Also, the attraction has received upgrades over the last few years (like the floating Leota and Constance the Black Widow Bride).

When you do go to this area of the park, make sure to check out the rest of New Orleans Square. It has beautiful architecture and theming. If you feel like shelling out cash for lunch at a sit down restaraunt, make reservations for Blue Bayou (the restaraunt you'll see when you ride Pirates) or check out Cafe Orleans (it was converted back to a table service restaraunt last year). If you prefer burgers or pizza, head to Hungry Bear (past the Mansion in Critter Country), Tomorrowland Terrace, Village Hause (in Fantasyland), or Red Rocket's (pizza place in TL). If you want a character meal inside Disneyland, the beautiful Victorian themed Plaza Inn is the place to go.

When you're in Adventureland, go on Jungle Cruise (received upgrades in '05) and Indiana Jones.

Fantasyland has many attractions not found in WDW. You'll still find it's a small world, Peter Pan, Snow White, Carousel, Tea Cups, and Dumbo. The attractions that will be new to you are Pinnochio, Alice in Wonderland, Casey Jr, Storybookland, and Matterhorn. Disneyland still has its Mr Toad (nothing like memory lane). If you can only choose 3 attractions, go with Peter Pan (if its line doesn't look bad), Alice, and Matterhorn. If both Matterhorn tracks are operating, the side that loads by Tomorrowland is a little more wild. If you really want to see what's inside Storybookland, there are two ways to see it. Storybookland Canal Boats is slower and everything is seen from the waterways. Casey Jr travels on top of the hills and moves much faster. If you go on a weekday and see the lines for other Fantasyland rides are short, why not take a ride? Snow White and Pinnochio are usually walk on anyway and you can see the bulk of Toad's queue since it's outside. If you're a fan of small world, take a picture in front of it. It's facade is quite large and the clock goes off every 15 min. Should you be in the neighborhood, then go into Toontown and go on Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin. If time is a constraint and you maybe walk 20 ft past the door before you reach the end of Roger Rabbit's line, skip it! The indoor queue is pretty long (and detailed) and would slow you down if you only want to see the landmark attractions.

In Tomorrowland, go on Space Mountain. If the lines for Buzz and Star Tours are short, go on them (especially Star Tours). Buzz has a very short indoor queue, so if you see the stand by line barely makes it outside, expect a short wait. Buzz and Star Tours face each other, so you can easily hop from one to the other.

If you at least want to get a little glimpse of California Adventure, check if the Monorail is operating (the station is actually in Tomorrowland!). It goes through the parking lot turned theme park as well as the Grand Californian Hotel. The Monorail is one way service right now because of Submarine construction, so you have to get off, then reboard the Monorail at the Downtown Disney station.

• Love Dole Whips

You must a dole whip at the Tiki room.
    mmmm...

• DL Fanatic

Sequoia National Park, CA (trying to get to Orange County)

The very first ride you MUST go on HAS to be the railroad. Take that and stay on for the entire loop. This way you can see the whole park and when you get back to Main street, have a plan as to where you want to go to next.
    Best interview answer: My biggest weakness is my honesty...I can never remember my lies!

Wow, you guys are amazing! I wish I could spend a week but unfortunately we only have one day so your advice is GREATLY appreciated. It'll help us get a good game plan to see as much as possible.

I've read that if you ask a cast member in the Disney Gallery about a behind the scenes tour, they'll give one to you. Has anyone done this?

Also, are there any cool free mementos? For instance, when riding as an honorary monorail conductor you sometimes get a free conductor's liscense. Anything else like that?

Just looking to making the trip as special as possible for us in the short time we have there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast