Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Question If Disneyland closed 1 day a week...

Years ago, Disneyland was not open 7 days a week. On those 'closed' days, touch up paint would be applied, lightbulbs replaced, etc. and so on.

Frankly, I could see this being a good idea today. I see little things that need 'fixing' every time I go. That 'yellow' line they tell you to stand behind on the tram looks practically 'black' these days...I have to laugh every time I hear a CM tell people to stand behind the 'yellow line' - because it's really not 'there'. It was there once, but it's so faded these days.

I think Tuesdays would be a good day for these minimal refurbs. This would allow for 3 day weekends extending into Monday for park attendance.

Any ideas of what you would deem the best day for 'one day a week closure' for the cosmetics of Disneyland?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Re: If Disneyland closed 1 day a week...

Never, that's why they have 3rd shifts. And they would lose out on a lot of potential money (even if it's a slow day) so I don't see Disney doing this.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• I am number 4 of 999

I think they should close down for a day or two during the off season to take care of the park.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hollywood1939 View Post
    Never, that's why they have 3rd shifts. And they would lose out on a lot of potential money (even if it's a slow day) so I don't see Disney doing this.
    But don't you think it would be a good idea? Cosmetically speaking???

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Every week? No. Maybe once every 6 months? Maybe but still it's not cost efficient to do that considering even on slow days they have a chance on making money.
    -Jack

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Every week? No. Maybe once every 6 months? Maybe but still it's not cost efficient to do that considering even on slow days they have a chance on making money.
    But this is what they USED to do. As much as I love Disneyland, it used to be a nicer place cosmetically/esthetically speaking - because of this. And really, if you found out that "Disneyland was closed on Tuesday" wouldn't you come on Wednesday instead (hypothetically speaking, of course).

Maybe this would be a 'no no' during the summer and winter months, but I can see it feasibly happening again in the 'off season'.

• Solar Flare Foamer

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States

Absolutely. It would be different if Disney had the old upkeep standards they used to have, but with all the work that needs to be done, a temporary maintenance day a week would be just what the doctor ordered. It wouldn't have to be permanent. Just enough to bring the park up to the standards we're used to, and then go back to business as usual. ("Business as usual", hopefully, being the old quality upkeep standards.)

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

I still don't see why every week now. They have 3rd shift for that. Perhaps you can describe for me what you mean by what they need to do cosmetically speaking?

And they closed those days because they weren't making profit those days. There simply weren't enough guests, it wasn't for cosmetics. Disney would be doing this today if they weren't making some sort of profit.
    -Jack

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

I still don't see why every week now. They have 3rd shift for that. Perhaps you can describe for me what you mean by what they need to do cosmetically speaking?

And they closed those days because they weren't making profit those days. There simply weren't enough guests, it wasn't for cosmetics. Disney would be doing this today if they weren't making some sort of profit.
    Chipped paint, window missing in a second floor above the Coca Cola Corner piano player....Tomorrowland....fading paint, burnt out lightbulbs, overgrown hedges....etc. If this is what the third shift is supposed to be doing, they aren't doing it very well.

And from what I recall in the 1970's, maybe Disneyland did close on days they weren't making 'profit' (although that's not what I remember) - but on those days they were closed, they had crews in there cleaning up the park.

• We wants the Redhead

I think a day a week or even a day a month would be a good idea. Teusdays sound like the perfect day for the "honey do list".
    Janet
    John 3:16

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
    Chipped paint, window missing in a second floor above the Coca Cola Corner piano player....Tomorrowland....fading paint, burnt out lightbulbs, overgrown hedges....etc. If this is what the third shift is supposed to be doing, they aren't doing it very well.

And from what I recall in the 1970's, maybe Disneyland did close on days they weren't making 'profit' (although that's not what I remember) - but on those days they were closed, they had crews in there cleaning up the park.
    Oh they did have maitenance then when those days were closed. But again it was also because there was no real profit. Disneyland is way to popular now for them to close because even now I estimate that 20,000 people go to DLR on 'slow' offseason days. That's more than what was supposed to be there on opening day.
    -Jack

• the rum is always gone

I think it would be a great idea, but ultimately I do not see it happening due to the fact that even though the park is having a "slow day" they are probably making money (or at least breaking even). Ultimately on the side of business, it makes more sense to keep the park open for a profit then it does to close it and spend money on the upkeep.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

1 day!

They use to close two days a week durring the off season....and the off season was over 6 months of the year too.

Of course, Disneyland use to be a special place that locals only visited once or twice a year and out of towners once or twice a life.

Now we have a sizeable portion of guests who spend half their waking hours at the park.....where would they go if the park were closed two days a week
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Senior Minion

But this is what they USED to do. As much as I love Disneyland, it used to be a nicer place cosmetically/esthetically speaking - because of this. And really, if you found out that "Disneyland was closed on Tuesday" wouldn't you come on Wednesday instead (hypothetically speaking, of course).

Maybe this would be a 'no no' during the summer and winter months, but I can see it feasibly happening again in the 'off season'.
    Chipped paint, window missing in a second floor above the Coca Cola Corner piano player....Tomorrowland....fading paint, burnt out lightbulbs, overgrown hedges....etc. If this is what the third shift is supposed to be doing, they aren't doing it very well
    Exactly, They used to close by 5:30pm or 6 in the off season in the "good Ol' days". I totally agree with shorter hours in the off season. A Tuesday or Wednesday weekly, would be good in the off season.

A whole day is kind of stretch though in today's climate of business and with all the projects constantly going now to update the parks.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Estimates put losses from closing on May 5, 2005 at around $1 million for park entrances and perhaps another million for food and souvenier revenue.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast