Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Summer 2005, bring your own food

Enough is enough! Who ever is in charge of food services needs to go. Apparently, things have not improved in the food service department and problems still persist. Here's a link to a MousePlanet article which mentions that food lines are still a problem:

http://www.mouseplanet.com/parkupdat.../dlr050601.htm

It's Matt's park now and he needs to have authority over every aspect of it. This includes making drastic changes to the food services. Otherwise, all that work that he put in to fix things will be squadered by the people who can't get their act together.

• Minion

I agree. It is disgraceful that restaurants and food carts are so understaffed. Something needs to be done immediately or DL should allow people to bring their own food inside the park. Good post, Superdisneydad.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

While in the park a couple of weeks ago, our attempts to feed ourselves proved quite frustrating. We did manage to get a chili dog at the Coca Cola Corner without too much strain, though of the three cashiers working, only one was moving her line. She was cranking. The other two seemed confused. Then it was off to get a Dole Whip for dessert. At the Dole stand, the lone cast member eventually interrupted her phone call just long enough to tell us the machine was broken and there were no Dole Whips today. Later, we decided to try Rancho Zocalo for dinner before finding a spot to watch the fireworks. The park was open until 9pm that evening. It was about 7pm and Rancho Zocalo was closed. Vic held a spot in the street while I went foraging for grub. Stage Door Deli had huge lines. Back again to Coca Cola Corner. Just a couple more dogs would have to do. There were about 5 people in line ahead of me. Now... the hot dogs are pre-cooked and held in warming bins.... unless you want chili. Then it seemed like it took about 5-10 minutes per dog to ladle some chili onto the pre-cooked dogs. Well, of course the 5 people ahead of me wanted chili dogs so I waited in line over 45 minutes! It became almost funny. The guy ahead of me wanted two pretzels and two chili dogs. The CM wandered over to the window where the pretzels were hanging. Stood there and looked at them for awhile, found a pretzel bag, seemed to have a very difficult time sliding a pretzel off the hanger with his tongs, eventually got the pretzel into the bag, wandered back to the customer, handing him the pretzel and said, "That's one." Then went back and repeated the above steps. After handing the guy the second pretzel, the CM went over to the kitchen window to wait another couple of minutes for the chili dogs to come out, then brought them to the customer and gave him a paper sack to bag his own food. Two chili dogs, two pretzels... 10 minutes. Finally I got to place my order: Two plain dogs and a coke. He got my order wrong. I didn't care. I paid for what he gave me and escaped.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Food Apocolypse

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney
    While in the park a couple of weeks ago, our attempts to feed ourselves proved quite frustrating. We did manage to get a chili dog at the Coca Cola Corner without too much strain, though of the three cashiers working, only one was moving her line. She was cranking. The other two seemed confused. Then it was off to get a Dole Whip for dessert. At the Dole stand, the lone cast member eventually interrupted her phone call just long enough to tell us the machine was broken and there were no Dole Whips today. Later, we decided to try Rancho Zocalo for dinner before finding a spot to watch the fireworks. The park was open until 9pm that evening. It was about 7pm and Rancho Zocalo was closed. Vic held a spot in the street while I went foraging for grub. Stage Door Deli had huge lines. Back again to Coca Cola Corner. Just a couple more dogs would have to do. There were about 5 people in line ahead of me. Now... the hot dogs are pre-cooked and held in warming bins.... unless you want chili. Then it seemed like it took about 5-10 minutes per dog to ladle some chili onto the pre-cooked dogs. Well, of course the 5 people ahead of me wanted chili dogs so I waited in line over 45 minutes! It became almost funny. The guy ahead of me wanted two pretzels and two chili dogs. The CM wandered over to the window where the pretzels were hanging. Stood there and looked at them for awhile, found a pretzel bag, seemed to have a very difficult time sliding a pretzel off the hanger with his tongs, eventually got the pretzel into the bag, wandered back to the customer, handing him the pretzel and said, "That's one." Then went back and repeated the above steps. After handing the guy the second pretzel, the CM went over to the kitchen window to wait another couple of minutes for the chili dogs to come out, then brought them to the customer and gave him a paper sack to bag his own food. Two chili dogs, two pretzels... 10 minutes. Finally I got to place my order: Two plain dogs and a coke. He got my order wrong. I didn't care. I paid for what he gave me and escaped.
    The horror, the horror!

• șoș Tom șoș

Hey guys this is why APs can go grub up at DCA! Poor folks who are stuck in one park or another for the day! Also I recommend sit down restraunts for dinner, food and service are worth the cost!

• Minion

Yeah, the food is better at DCA anyway.

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Food Hell!!

I was at DL the weekend of April15-17th. Lunch at the Hungry Bear was absolutely EXCRUCITING!! The lines were moving at a snails pace. I stood in line for lunch for 25 minutes. There were 2 lines of people being served by one cash register. The cashier was nice enough, but she was really overwhelmed. Just thinking back about it makes me want to SCREAM, "What the Hell is goin' on here!!"
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• e komo mai

What Downtown Disney needs is an In-n-Out. That would solve my 'where to eat' problems...

• My cuties!

OMG! That was painful to read, Tom!

I was VERY disappointed that the Mint Julep Bar was never open when we were there.

• Lovin' Life!

It seems the food issue is bigger than I thought! Do any of the powers-that-be even eat in the park? Not only do the lines go on forever, but the food quality has gone down hill...

Let's take the Golden Horseshoe for example ~ they used to have great burgers...now it's chicken strips right out of the freezer and into the microwave garbage! The French Market used to have great fried chicken...what happened? Now there's hardly any meat but lots of crunchy 'stuff' (I don't EVEN want to know what it is....)...

And, the help behind the counter? Some of them are great ~ complete with smiles...but where are THEY when it is time to eat (I'm referring to Noon and six-ish)? I challenge the execs to experience what we have to put up with. If they really had to stand in a 45 minute line to get a meal that was either pre-cooked or microwaved...or worse...maybe they would get the picture? hmmm....I wonder...
    ....it all began with a Mouse...

• CM for 4 years!

I ate at Plaza Inn last week, and it was really good. There was lots of chicken on the bone, and the skin was delicious!! I just had to wait a half hour to get it, then another 10 minutes to pay. We planned a lot of time to eat, though, so it turned out ok.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• Rock Star Minion

So, we want it faster, cheaper, and better?

CM Matt only knows what he's informed of. I don't think he trolls around the various Disney fan sites looking for problems to solve.
    Complaints to City Hall are always seriously considered.

The more cynical side of me could make a rational argument that increasing food wait times should lower attraction wait times.

I usually eat at most one meal at DLr per visit, for all the reasons mentioned here: too expensive, takes too long, and it's not that good.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    ...I usually eat at most one meal at DLr per visit, for all the reasons mentioned here: too expensive, takes too long, and it's not that good.
    So, here we have The Happiest Place On Earth... the Gold Standard of theme parks... a place noted for 50 years for having the friendliest and most competent CMs... a park jam-packed with high tech amusements... and they haven't figured out how to do what McDonalds does everyday... serve a decent meal quickly and at a fair price?

If Hometown Buffet and can do it... you'd think The Disney Company could manage it too.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Playtester

Oh they do manage it....over at DCA. They have to find some way to get you over there!
    It's Just me, Jenn.
    "Crowded classrooms and half-day sessions are a tragic waste of our greatest national resource - the minds of our children." ~Walt Disney

• My cuties!

If Hometown Buffet and can do it... you'd think The Disney Company could manage it too.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast