Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 95
  1. #1

    • .
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,923

    LA TIMES: City of Anaheim to vote on Disney-opposed housing plan.

    Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles Times
    Although some Anaheim City Council members see the project as a way to add needed housing to Orange County's second-largest city, Disney says it would disrupt the tourist environment and street scene it has worked hard to create outside the gates to Disneyland and California Adventure.

    Tonight, the council is expected to choose sides and vote whether to permit 225 apartments and 1,275 condominiums in the resort district. The area, directly across the street from where Disney may build a third amusement park, includes a site recently rezoned for upscale hotel-condominium projects, to which Disney has not objected.

    The debate has left council members in an awkward position: whether to please Anaheim's biggest employer and biggest tourist draw or create housing, including low-cost residences for the resort district's workforce.
    More at
    http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...home-headlines

  2. #2

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    San Bernardino Mountains
    Posts
    1,278

    Re: LA TIMES: City of Anaheim to vote on Disney-opposed housing plan.

    Well, I would have to agree with Disney on this and say that the low income housing is a bad idea for that area. Anaheim already has thousands of apartments that are geared toward low income families.

    Kinda ironic though that Disney is opposing low income housing when most of their cast members fall under that category.

  3. #3

    • Special Agent
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,599

    Re: LA TIMES: City of Anaheim to vote on Disney-opposed housing plan.

    Quote Originally Posted by ExJungleSkipper95 View Post
    Kinda ironic though that Disney is opposing low income housing when most of their cast members fall under that category.
    I think the bigger issue here is that the failure of the resort as a whole to attract the kind of high paying businesses that were expected to flock there, is an extension of the failure of DCA itself to expand DL's audience away from local visitors. Since DL's primary demographic is still locals, and they typically shy away from the trendy and expensive tourist businesses - the companies just didn't line up as were expected.

    And the city of Anaheim is faced with large parcels of underutilized land, that was left that way with the assumption that it would be snatched up quickly by developers that never came. Look at how long it has taken for Pointe Anaheim/Garden Walk to get their funding and get off the ground (and even now construction seems to be going at a snail's pace).

    I think the status of the "Anaheim Resort" is quite embarrassing for all parties involved. The city wants to move on and Disney isn't ready to yet.

    As for low income housing - we're talking about replacing a trailer park with an apartment complex. Seems like an improvement to me.

  4. #4

    • Vehicle rotating backward
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    4,623

    Re: LA TIMES: City of Anaheim to vote on Disney-opposed housing plan.

    The only concern to me is that it could bring a lot of criminals, namely sex offenders, close to the resort.

  5. #5

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    San Bernardino Mountains
    Posts
    1,278

    Re: LA TIMES: City of Anaheim to vote on Disney-opposed housing plan.

    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania View Post
    The only concern to me is that it could bring a lot of criminals, namely sex offenders, close to the resort.
    So youre assuming that low income citizens are sex offenders and criminals?

  6. #6

    • .
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,923

    Re: LA TIMES: City of Anaheim to vote on Disney-opposed housing plan.

    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania View Post
    The only concern to me is that it could bring a lot of criminals, namely sex offenders, close to the resort.
    Whaa??

  7. #7

    • Beach Expert
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after
    Posts
    10,730

    Re: LA TIMES: City of Anaheim to vote on Disney-opposed housing plan.

    I think the area in question is further down Katella, off of the 5 freeway. Even though this area is techincally a part of what Anaheim refers to the "Disney sphere of influence" this area is hardly close enough to the actual resort itself to really make a difference, IMHO.

    As far as sex offenders living there... The state placed sex offenders in motels literally across the street from Disneyland. Due to media exposure, I believe these people have been since relocated, but it wouldn't surprise me if there are still a few there. I wouldn't worry too much about this area in question in this thread though. It is too far from Disneyland to make a big difference, and tourists don't really walk in that area anyway. They may drive through it or stop and eat at Del Taco, but it really isn't a place where they are going to congregate.

  8. #8

    • It's all nonsense
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    You'll never guess
    Posts
    2,552

    Re: LA TIMES: City of Anaheim to vote on Disney-opposed housing plan.

    I don't think I'd want any sort of residental housing across from a new park, high class or low income doesn't matter to me.

  9. #9

    • Beach Expert
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after
    Posts
    10,730

    Re: LA TIMES: City of Anaheim to vote on Disney-opposed housing plan.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
    I don't think I'd want any sort of residental housing across from a new park, high class or low income doesn't matter to me.
    There already is housing directly across the street from Disneyland and California Adventure. One of my best friends lives in an apartment literally behind the Disneyland Hotel, and to be honest with you, it's not the best...

  10. #10

    • It's all nonsense
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    You'll never guess
    Posts
    2,552

    Re: LA TIMES: City of Anaheim to vote on Disney-opposed housing plan.

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    There already is housing directly across the street from Disneyland and California Adventure. One of my best friends lives in an apartment literally behind the Disneyland Hotel, and to be honest with you, it's not the best...
    I know there are houses and such over there, but they are not right next to the park.

  11. #11

    • Beach Expert
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after
    Posts
    10,730

    Re: LA TIMES: City of Anaheim to vote on Disney-opposed housing plan.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
    I know there are houses and such over there, but they are not right next to the park.
    Not right next to the park itself, but the DLH literally is across the street. All you have to do is cross the street, go through the DTD parking and into DTD, and you're there.

  12. #12

    • Rock Star Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    14,146

    Re: LA TIMES: City of Anaheim to vote on Disney-opposed housing plan.

    Why doesn't Disney simply buy up the land?
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

  13. #13

    • my two sunshines
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    1,434

    Re: LA TIMES: City of Anaheim to vote on Disney-opposed housing plan.

    Does WDW have this kind of problem? I thought Disney bought up all the land and made it into a mega resort, hotels and all - my thought is why Disney anaheim hasn't done that......and one of the answers could be the expense of the land now - so maybe thats why Disney Anaheim hasn't bought up the land

  14. #14

    • Special Agent
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,599

    Re: LA TIMES: City of Anaheim to vote on Disney-opposed housing plan.

    Quote Originally Posted by Trac View Post
    Does WDW have this kind of problem? I thought Disney bought up all the land and made it into a mega resort, hotels and all - my thought is why Disney anaheim hasn't done that......and one of the answers could be the expense of the land now - so maybe thats why Disney Anaheim hasn't bought up the land
    Disney didn't build their resort in Downtown Orlando. They bought up what was essentially unused swamp land for dirt cheap.

    Even if Disney were to buy up the land - it wouldn't preclude the city of Anaheim determining the best use of that land for the city. In this case the city needs to determine if they need more housing or more commercial projects.

    The city of Anaheim needs more affordable housing. That much is certain. And currently there is a lot of unused space around the resort awaiting nightclubs and restaurants and entertainment venues that will never come. Meanwhile the city needs the housing now.

  15. #15

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    12.5 minutes from Disneyland
    Posts
    14,009
    Blog Entries
    9

    Re: LA TIMES: City of Anaheim to vote on Disney-opposed housing plan.

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    As far as sex offenders living there... The state placed sex offenders in motels literally across the street from Disneyland. Due to media exposure, I believe these people have been since relocated, but it wouldn't surprise me if there are still a few there. I wouldn't worry too much about this area in question in this thread though. It is too far from Disneyland to make a big difference, and tourists don't really walk in that area anyway. They may drive through it or stop and eat at Del Taco, but it really isn't a place where they are going to congregate.
    I still want to meet the rocket scientist who thought it would be a great idea to put sex offenders across the street from hotels full of kids on school trips and vacations.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-06-2007, 04:03 PM
  2. Disney Anti-Housing Petition is Filed in Anaheim
    By cellarhound in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-22-2007, 07:58 AM
  3. How low-cost housing lost in Anaheim - LA Times, 2/15/07
    By disneytim in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-21-2007, 05:48 PM
  4. Anaheim weighs more housing or pleasing Disney
    By Loomis in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-06-2006, 08:02 PM
  5. Anaheim weighs more housing or pleasing Disney - LA Times, 11/5/06
    By Darkbeer in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-05-2006, 07:52 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •