Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Walt Disney - Adopted?

I recently did a group project for my English class on the romantic poets and we had to find a modern-day romantic and my group did Walt Disney and we had to include biographical info, etc...
    The day after I presented the mother of a handicapped student who goes to school with her daughter who is in my class brought an article in The San Ramon Valley Times on a one-page spread feature called "Hispanic Heritage" it looks somewhat like a weird advertisement for something, but I don't know. At thr bottom of the page it has a "Newspapers in Education" logo and a Contra Costa Times (contracostatimes.com) logo.

The article stated Walt Disney was ADOPTED by Elias and Flora Disney and was actually originally named Juan Luis Guirao and was borin in Mojacar, Span and his mom was unwed and his father was a Spanish doctor (the alleged parents names were not given).

The article says, "Walt Disney did not know about his past until he sought his birth certificate from the Cook County (Chicago) clerk's office when he wanted to enlist in the army. Given the morals of the time concerning the circumstances of his birth, and the prejudice againt hispanics, it is no surprise that Walt kept his story to himself."
    It goes on to say that Walt was awarded the "Hispanic in the Closet Award" by Hispanic Magazine in 1993, (even though Walt wasn't alive?).

Anyway... My point is that this is the only time I have EVER heard this. Even in biographies that I've read/seen of Walt that were not released by Disney do not say anything about him being adopted.

Does anybody have any info on this or have any of you ever heard this before??

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

This has been a controversial subject for some time. It's way too convoluted and complicated to properly relate here. Find a copy of "Walt Disney - Hollywood's Dark Prince" by Marc Eliot for a comprehensive look at this issue. (You'll also read a biography of Walt Disney the man behind the image. It's fascinating reading.)
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Sock Puppet

I've heard this other places too, I believe it's another Walt urban Legend. But you never know, it could be true as well. But I just don't buy it for some reason. Amazing all of the urban legends that can be started about just ONE man.

• CM for 4 years!

I have heard of this before, specifically from http://www.snopes.com (which ou should check out), but it was proven to be mostly impossible. But who knows. I don't think we'll ever know for sure.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Strange, yeah... I just checked out Snopes.com, which denies the rumor... So I don't know. It sounds a bit far-fetched to me... But you never know.

| | |

• Disneyland Addicts Anon.

Just as a side note, I recommend "Walt Disney: An American Original" as well.

• Minion

Well they sure adopted someone with the family looks.
    he appeared to me to closely resemble his parents, and his brother.
    interesting.

• Minion

The Marc Eliot book is widely regarded as tripe by most Disney historians.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones
    The Marc Eliot book is widely regarded as tripe by most Disney historians.
    I respect your opinion so please tell me... is the book, then, a fascinating fiction? What book would you recommend as the best look at Walt Disney, the man?

That said... if I've inadvertantly recommended a book that is sub-par, my apologies.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Walt's birth cirtificate is on exhibit in the lobby of the Walt Disney Archives on the Studio lot in Burbank. He was born in Chicago, IL to Elias and Flora Disney. If you look closely you can see where the britdate was changed from 1901 to 1900 so he could join the Ambulance Core during WWI. Walt was only 16 and needed to be 17 to join. He was that much of a patriot.

If you are able to get on to the lot, you can walk right into the archives lobby in the Frank G. Wells building. The door is always open (9:00 Am - 5:00 PM).

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries
    I try not to believe all the rumors. Travelmom makes a great point in that All the Disneys are very close in Appearance.

I have also had long conversations with a friend of mine who is absolutly convinced Walt Disney was a Closet Homosexual, and was being blackmailed by J.Edgar Hoover. He had a Gay Publication with all the details and "Proof."

Hmmm... A Gay Spaniard......I think Not.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• Me and Tommy Kirk

I don't believe that Walt was adopted. That family resemblance is too strong. (Have you seen pictures of his other brothers? They all looked like that)

However, he and Lillian did adopt their daughter Sharon. Maybe that's where some of this confusion is coming from?

• Me and Tommy Kirk

[QUOTE=Tom Chaney]I respect your opinion so please tell me... is the book, then, a fascinating fiction? What book would you recommend as the best look at Walt Disney, the man?

Have you read the Bob Thomas biography of Walt? I believed the Disney family was involved in the writing of that book.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Eggz
    Walt's birth cirtificate is on exhibit in the lobby of the Walt Disney Archives on the Studio lot in Burbank. He was born in Chicago, IL to Elias and Flora Disney. If you look closely you can see where the britdate was changed from 1901 to 1900 so he could join the Ambulance Core during WWI. Walt was only 16 and needed to be 17 to join. He was that much of a patriot.

If you are able to get on to the lot, you can walk right into the archives lobby in the Frank G. Wells building. The door is always open (9:00 Am - 5:00 PM).
    This is 100 percent true. I dont know what idiot came up with the idea that Walt Disney was adopted but that is just outrageous. What even makes it more humorous is that it says he was born in spain and he was spanish lol. The guy who wrote that story must have been blind because Walt is all white lol.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfreak
    This is 100 percent true. I dont know what idiot came up with the idea that Walt Disney was adopted but that is just outrageous. What even makes it more humorous is that it says he was born in spain and he was spanish lol. The guy who wrote that story must have been blind because Walt is all white lol.
    Well, to be fair, natives from Spain often have very light complextions, however, I still don't think there is any truth in it.

| | |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast