Davy Crockett Canoes

I apologize if this has been discussed recently, but I didn't see any threads on it. My sister and I had a "heated" discusssion last night about what makes the canoes go. She said that there has to be a track of some kind and the canoes have to have some kind of help to get all the way around the river because the guests don't have the strength or experience needed. She also said the river isn't all that deep because it would be too dangerous. I say that there is no way that there is a track and the canoes are most definitely powered by all of us guests that are rowing (with pretty sore arms near the end!) Who's right?

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Re: Davy Crockett Canoes

Im pretty sure its just the guests rowing that make the canoes go.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• Closed Account

Who's right? You are! At least concerning the canoes.

They are NOT on a track, and yes, guest power supplies the propulsion.

Just look next time--there are no motors in the canoes...Each canoe can end up in a different part of the river depending on how they're steered...And if needed, the two CMs are enough power to move the canoes, even if everyone stopped paddling!

Guests don't have enough "experience?" Excuse me? They're paddles, not the controls of an airplane! Here's how you operate one: Place in water. Pull. Repeat.

But sis wins (sort of) regarding depth. Yes, the river is very shallow--but not because it would be "too dangerous" (one can drown in just a few inches of water), but because depth just isn't necessary for anything on the river, and anything deeper than absolutely necessary would be a waste.
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 02-14-2007 at 10:05 AM.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    And yes, the river is very shallow.
    You are correct except on this one, unless your definition of shallow is 10 - 15 feet deep, which is what I remember when I saw the ROA drained. But this is going off of memory from when before Fantasmic! was put in. I do recall it being fairly deep, however, or at least more deep than one would expect.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    You are correct except on this one, unless your definition of shallow is 10 - 15 feet deep, which is what I remember when I saw the ROA drained. But this is going off of memory from when before Fantasmic! was put in. I do recall it being fairly deep, however, or at least more deep than one would expect.
    Another Disneyland Urban Myth ripe for destruction:

Photo from MousePlanet

See those stairs from the bottom of the ROA to the dock? I count 10 steps. At 8" rise per step, that's 6.6 feet--to the top of the dock! Subtract about a foot (since the water doesn't go to the top of the dock), and your looking at a depth of about 5 1/2 feet. That's pretty consistent all the way 'round.

I say that there is no way that there is a track and the canoes are most definitely powered by all of us guests that are rowing.
    Correct and sometimes correct. Back when I was a CM, that was my attraction. And you're correct that there is no track for the canoes. And you're also correct, for the most part, that it's the guests that provide the propulsion; however, from my experience, most of the rowing power comes from the two cast members on each canoe, one in front and one in back, because the guests tend to not put much muscle into it.
    I'll give you two extremes:
    1.) I had a canoe filled with a large group of visitors from Japan. They were very enthusiastic about the ride, or I should say the scenery surrounding the ride, but my partner and I never had to row so hard to get that oh-so-heavy canoe around the river.
    2.) A large group of U.S. Marine Corps visitors got on my canoe one day, and with the combined rowing force of these men, the canoe literally surged forward with such speed that it practically lifted it out of the water. They decided they wanted to "race" around the river. I have never been as scared in my life as we approached from behind the Mark Twain's paddle wheel to pass narrowly on the right. The oar of the CM riding in the back acts as the rudder, and you don't want to be going either too slow or too fast. We made it back in less than half the time it usually takes!
    I have several other Canoe stories I could share, but there you have it. So next time you ride on the Canoes, don't forget about the hard work the CM's have. They really do "take the laboring oar." hehe
    Last edited by MagicKingdomBoy; 02-14-2007 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicKingdomBoy View Post
    Correct and sometimes correct. Back when I was a CM, that was my attraction. And you're correct that there is no track for the canoes. And you're also correct, for the most part, that it's the guests that provide the propulsion; however, from my experience, most of the rowing power comes from the two cast members on each canoe, one in front and one in back, because the guests tend to not put much muscle into it.
    I'll give you two extremes:
    1.) I had a canoe filled with a large group of visitors from Japan. They were very enthusiastic about the ride, or I should say the scenery surrounding the ride, but my partner and I never had to row so hard to get that oh-so-heavy canoe around the river.
    2.) A large group of U.S. Marine Corps visitors got on my canoe one day, and with the combined rowing force of these men, the canoe literally surged forward with such speed that it practically lifted it out of the water. They decided they wanted to "race" around the river. I have never been as scared in my life as we approached from behind the Mark Twain's paddle wheel to pass narrowly on the right. The oar of the CM riding in the back acts as the rudder, and you don't want to be going either too slow or too fast. We made it back in less than half the time it usually takes!
    I have several other Canoe stories I could share, but there you have it. So next time you ride on the Canoes, don't forget about the hard work the CM's have. They really do "take the laboring oar." hehe
    YAYYY canoe boys!

I was just about to post, "no, most of the power does not come from the guests... it comes from the CMs leading the boat" but you beat me to it!

More canoe stories! I love canoes. =D
    Disneyland Photos:
    01.02.2006 (facebook album)
    02.25.2006 - Totally random trip
    Spring break 2006 - WALT DISNEY WORLD (also has some random spring break pics in)
    08.01.2006 -Club 33 trip!
    My first MC trip report!
    More to come, of course! =D

Deluxe Annual Pass purchased - 12.09.2006

Photo from MousePlanet
    I also see a track for the Mark Twain/Columbia, but no tracks for Canoes. The Rafts are also not on tracks.

I've honestly never been able to figure out how people can be so stupid as to think that the Canoes and Rafts are on tracks. (And yes, I just called a bunch of people stupid. But only because that's what they are if they think everything in the river is on a track. Those types of people, quite simply, are not smart.)

Honestly, how do these stupid people suppose Mr. Disney could have built a system of dozens of different tracks for the dozens of different routes a canoe can take, plus another set of tracks criss-crossing those tracks for the Rafts? Oh yeah, add in a couple dozen additional sets of tracks left over from the two Keelboats that also had dozens of different routes when they operated at Disneyland from 1956 to 1997.

The canoes are simply..... canoes. And the rafts are simply..... rafts. No tracks. No fuss. No muss.

• Feed the Ducks!

The best way to prove that they are not on tracks is with our canoe races. Not only would it be lame to race canoes on tracks, but during races, the canoes travel counterclockwise around the river.

a depth of about 5 1/2 feet. That's pretty consistent all the way 'round.
    And I believe the reason they add the blue-green dye to the water? If they didn't, you'd easily be able to see the bottom of RoA and all the installed hardware.

John

• DLR...

Eheh, thats what I was wondering when I went on canoes for the first time. I was sort of scared of falling off of it

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by TP2000 View Post
    The canoes are simply..... canoes. And the rafts are simply..... rafts. No tracks. No fuss. No muss.
    Until you happen to be on a raft with a trainee who rammed us into the pylon next to the docked Columbia in fowler's harbor. That was a nice 15 minute raft ride!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Hey Hey Hey now.

Canoe boys.
    I think their arms show all the experience that's needed
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today