Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Is Utilization of the Disneyland Railroad Being Underestimated?

Well, underutilization and underestimating utlization are two different issues.

Originally, the Disneyland Railroad knew exactly how many people were moving from one station to another because each leg of the trip had a separate ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
    When I hear the term underutilized I think of the DLRR being used to do something more than it's already doing. I don't know why but I imagine it pulling another car with nothing but churros in it to distribute them throughout the park.
    Other than maybe Tomorrowland, the stations always seem to stay busy. And you can't really compare the DLRR to other attractions as far as throughput because it has 4 loading/unloading areas and you technically can ride it all day without getting off.
    I personally love the DLRR. It's calm and relaxing...not rush on and rush off like other attractions.
    The underutilization to which I referred in the other thread specifically relates to the expanded capacity that the addition of Engine No. 5 now provides.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    Originally, the Disneyland Railroad knew exactly how many people were moving from one station to another because each leg of the trip had a separate ticket.
    Actually, that's not true.

Sure, the souvenir ticket had stubs for lands such as Tomorrowland and Fantasyland (even before those stops existed). But it also had a stub for Holidayland--and very clearly, there was never a stop at that destination. (Actually, I should mention that only the ticket available at Main Street Station had all these stubs; the ticket available at Frontierland lacked all of them).

Also, the tickets of, say, 300 passengers might need to be torn during the course of a 15 minute trip--obviously something that didn't happen with only two conductors who were required to stay at their safety positions when the train was in motion.

In fact, the original train tickets with their multiple station stubs were souvenirs only; the only stub torn off was the "conductor's check" at the end--which showed the ticket as having been used. All other stubs were kept intact. The ticket only showed that someone boarded a train.

The only time the railroad might have had some knowledge of how the train was being "utilized" was from 1955 - 1957, when you got on at either Main Street of Frontierland and were required to stay on for an entire round trip.
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 02-16-2007 at 08:25 AM.

• Disneyland is your land.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Actually, that's not true.

Sure, the souvenir ticket had stubs for lands such as Tomorrowland and Fantasyland (even before those stops existed). But it also had a stub for Holidayland--and very clearly, there was never a stop at that destination. (Actually, I should mention that only the ticket available at Main Street Station had all these stubs; the ticket available at Frontierland lacked all of them).

Also, the tickets of, say, 300 passengers might need to be torn during the course of a 15 minute trip--obviously something that didn't happen with only two conductors who were required to stay at their safety positions when the train was in motion.

In fact, the original train tickets with their multiple station stubs were souvenirs only; the only stub torn off was the "conductor's check" at the end--which showed the ticket as having been used. All other stubs were kept intact. The ticket only showed that someone boarded a train.

The only time the railroad might have had some knowledge of how the train was being "utilized" was from 1955 - 1957, when you got on at either Main Street of Frontierland and were required to stay on for an entire round trip.
    Thanks for all the info!!!! Its so cool to hear about how Disney did things circa 1955-1957. Man I would pay money to go back in time.....
    Class of 2005...

• It's all nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by ssmccullough View Post
    Man I would pay money to go back in time.....

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by ssmccullough View Post
    Man I would pay money to go back in time.....
    You may not be able to go back in time...but you can still get the tickets!

(Notice only the conductors check, which would have been at the end, has been removed).

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
    You're too much, Hatter, too much.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123