Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.

Gosh Darnit, another Peoplemover thread

I've been reading old threads here and on other disneyland websites, and I always see people wanting the Peoplemover back.

That's all well and good, but maybe we miss it so much that we're making it seem better than it really was.

Riding the Peoplemover was never exciting. I don't mean FAST. I mean, it wasn't exciting. There was almost nothing to see in some areas, and the only interesting tunnel was America Sings/Super Speed/Tron. The ride really was blah after that.

I didn't necessarily hate that ride, it's just, well, we might want it back more because it's gone--and we always want what we don't have.

The white peoplemover cars were, i'm sorry, boring. They blended in almost perfectly with the landscape and if I remember correctly, they had no lighting at night. The white cars against white buildings chugging along at 5mph wasn't really a sense of motion or atmosphere.

I would say they needed to bump the speed up to a breezy 10mph (it wouldnt stress the track THAT much, would it?) and make the vehicles colorful and tell a story--but NOT A PIXAR Ride.

Any thoughts?

• Videographer

I agree, the PeopleMover of our yesteryear would not work today. Please don't bring back the same ride.

However, the concept is awesome and it would be nice to see something with a 22nd Century influence (no that is not a typo.)

Sit the imagineers in a room, tell them to go crazy, feed them lots of caffeine and doritos, and let them come up with something that will knock the socks off people. Then you tell the finance guys to figure out a way to make it happen. Ops (imagineers) should run the finance guys; not the other way around.

If Walt was guided by finance instead of dreams we would not have a Disneyland.

Sorry - not sure why I got off on that tangent.

Anyway, PeopleMover gets a huge thumbs up from me if they can imagineer a ride worthy of our memories.

RU

• Banned User

I watched the VisionsFantastic Peoplemover video--and I am shocked with how truly DULL Tomorrowland looked. Not dull as in attractions--it had more, although by 1994 (the video date) Mission to Mars and America Sings were gone--but dull as in the colors. It was too much white!

I hate to say it, but 1998's Color Scheme was ALMOST an improvement because it was more color. But I digress.

About the Peoplemover, as long as it goes a wee bit faster and has more color, it'll be cool. I liked Rocket Rods because they weren't terrifying, but thet were fast. Shave 15mph off them and they're perfect. They added a lot of atmosphere with their noises.

• e komo mai

The Disneyland Railroad is slow and boring, but it's a great attraction to get on just to sit in the shade and relax. It's the same with the Peoplemover. Granted there were certain tunnels that were empty, but they could improve on that by updating it. The cars could come back with upgraded experiences throughout the ride. Tomorrowland should show us that the future is always moving and hopeful. An empty track shows us that even in the future, things are downsized and neglected.

• Banned User

I wouldn't mind an updated version, but the all-white cars against all-white buildings was just boring looking! And didn't add much atmosphere either!

I didnt like the speed too much, but Rocket Rods added a look more feeling.

• Best Buds

The PeopleMover was a wonderful ride. You were treated to a view of Tomorrowland that you simply can't get any other way. You also got the chance to sit down and enjoy an attraction without being crowded into a tight space. True, the ride was not overly stimulating (nothing too flashy or fast), but that was fine by me.

All that said, WHEN (not IF) the PeopleMover returns, I wouldn't mind a few revisions. As suggested above, I would be okay with a slight increase in speed, but not too much. I guess I'd label it "comfortable cruising speed." If the ride is too short, it will lose its charm. Second, expand upon the concepts such as "Tron" and "Super Speed Tunnel" during those times you are inside the buildings.
    ------------------
    DLR '84, 85, 96, 02, 05, 06x2, 07x2, 08x2, 09, 10, 11; WDW '92, 98, 00, 06, 08, 10; DLP '02; TDR '07

Hey, check out my podcast!
    http://www.comedy4cast.com

• debating what to put here

I don't recall any "all-white" cars. Each set of cars was a different color.

I also agree with GC in that all rides don't have to be thrillers. There is nothing wrong with a ride that simply lets you get off your feet for a while and experience a nice view and maybe a few cool things to look at. Sure, they need to update it a bit, maybe cars that are more futuristic and offer a better audio experience, and something interesting with the tunnels, but overall I think the concept of the original was a good one. They don't need to put in a loop or a 20 foot drop to make it a cool ride (not that you were suggesting that).

I also like the idea that someone here had of making more than one loading station so it could be a form of transportation. Hell, maybe it could transport you to DCA. The park sorely needs some DL to DCA transportation.
    "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"
    - Satchel Paige

• Reaver of Souls

This could be an ongong updated ride. Things on the route changing every 3 years or so, to keep it fresh, even if it's just visual. I do miss the Tron rooms. I'd love to see an updated version of those. And we definately need new cars. I'm all for the return of PM, but I agree, there has to be a point. A reason. A story. Give people a reason to ride it, other than because they want to sit down for a while and get blasted by fans in the LightBike room...
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

If recent reports are accurate, the PM will be returning... in one form or another. I appreciate the sentiment that they were a rather dull ride but I really don't have a problem with that. There are probably lots of guests who would like a more sedate ride to enjoy. Not everyone has a jones for coasters and speed. The Skyway is another former attraction that many seem to want back. It was not fast... in fact it was pretty much a PM in the sky. A leisurely transport offering a different view of Disneyland. To speed up the PM too much would be to defeat a lot of its purpose... to offer a view of the park and its attractions. (Like taking a Disneyland tour and having the guide tell you, "OK, we're going to do this at a run!") Remember, there are those for whom Dumbo and Star Tours are just a little too much. For them, POTC... a very calm ride in general, Storybook Land, Casey Jones Jr. and the People Mover allow them to enjoy the park at their own comfort level.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Banned User

Motorboat Cruiser, by the 1990's, the cars were almost totally all white except for a microscopic blue (or was it red?) stripe on them...this didnt look especially vibrant.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by Motorboat Cruiser
    They don't need to put in a loop or a 20 foot drop to make it a cool ride (not that you were suggesting that).
    A People Mover with a loop might be interesting! Just make sure your seatbelt is real secure. Those 5mph loops can be a bear!
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• debating what to put here

Quote Originally Posted by MotorBoatCruise2005
    Motorboat Cruiser, by the 1990's, the cars were almost totally all white except for a microscopic blue (or was it red?) stripe on them...this didnt look especially vibrant.
    I stand corrected then. I admit that I didn't spend much time at the park in the 90's though and I don't recall ever seeing a picture of them looking as you describe. In retrospect, I do see your point. All white cars on an all white background would not be too visually exciting.
    "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"
    - Satchel Paige

• insufferable know-it-all

I disagree with the speed thing. I don't think a slight increase in speed will improve the ride for people who like speed, and people who like Peoplemover for its leisurely pace will feel shorted if the ride doesn't take as long.

I wouldn't mind a slight "updating" though. I never really liked the Tron speed tunnel myself. I loved the last appearance, but agree that a more colorful version like the original scheme would me nice too.

Here's an idea: have Peoplemover run by a computer that allows you to select your own experience, sort of like changing the music on a car radio. Come up with, say, 4 soundtracks, complete with narration, and let people switch to their favorite. For some, it would be the one with a more classic rock sound, for others, it might be the classic Disney tunes, some might prefer a vintage soundtrack, etc. This also gives the attraction re-rideability.

Peoplemover is a great people-eater, which frees up walkways. It's also a great thing to do in the middle of a hot day when you want to take a rest, but (this is especially relevant to day guests) don't want to feel like you're "wasting time" not getting on attractions.

You know what would be great? Slightly larger cars. Oh, and a little more roof overhand (better shade coverage)

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• e komo mai

If I remember correctly, didn't the old Peoplemover "speed" up towards the end of the ride? I mean it went from 5 mph to 7 towards the end? I seem to remember that.

Yeah, having it go fast doesn't necessarily make it a good ride... I liked just sitting there getting off of my feet for awhile...

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Instead of Tron have the cars go thru a glass tube of sorts thru a nighttime scene of a city of tomorrow(((if you have ever been on the World of Motion ride at Epcot you know what I am talking about here)))
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast