Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Disneyland vs. the World

I go to DL quite a bit and have never been to Disney world in Orlando. My first trip will be on my honeymoon . my question is have any of you DL regulars been disapointed when you got to DW? i have heard that the rides are not as good ( shorter, not as much detail , lack of maintanence ) am i going to be disapointed?

• Former Cast Member

Re: Disneyland vs. the World

I have been several times and I have enjoyed it. There are differences between the 2 parks of course. We have attractions that they do not have and vice versa. I think their Peter Pan and Snow White attractions are way better than ours. They have the Hall of Presidents, which we do not have. Overall I really like and don't forget they have Epcot, MGM and Animal Kingdom as well. So there is a lot to see and diversity.

I'm glad you raised this question. I'm going to Orlando for a conference in March and just got permission from the family to spend an extra day for a little "sight seeing".
    I would like to hear what DL regulars would recommend for my one day in WDW.
    Thank you!

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

I found the Magic Kingdom very disappointing compared to DL with the exception of the Hall of Presidents, Carousel of Progress, and the chance to experience the Country Bears and Peoplemover again.

However, both Epcot and Animal Kingdom are awesome, without a doubt. And MGM has some charms. But Epcot is a must see for anyone (so those with only 1 day, that would be my recommendation). And Animal Kingdom, whileat times feels like San Diego Zoo, is just pure awesomeness, especially now with Everest and Nemo.

The hotels at WDW are pretty amazing too - Animal Kingdom Lodge and Wilderness Lodge in particular, but I also like the Boardwalk, Polynesian, Grand Floridian, and the Contemporary has great dining. Enjoy.
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

• Jambo!

Well if you're going to compare Magic Kingdom to Disneyland (which has been done many times on many threads...), then yes they are very similar and Disneyland does tend to edge things out. But you should think of Magic Kingdom as Disneyland's little brother who grew up to be a lot taller then it's big brother. Lots of similar things, though of course some noticable differences and it also seems the little brother is a little spoiled and doesn't get enough attention that it thinks it deserves.

But its never fair to compare the entire WDW Resort to Disneyland. The other three parks are what make the difference. Epcot has Test Track, Mission: Space, and the World Showcase. Animal Kingdom hasExpedition Everest, Dinosaur, Festival of the Lion King, and Kilimanjaro Safaris. Disney-MGM has Tower of Terror, Rock n' Rollercoaster, and the great movie ride. Most of these attractions cant be found anywhere else and if they can... like Tower of Terror at DCA, aren't as advanced as WDW.

So once again, please dont try to compare the resorts... it's just not fair.

I would advise anyone interested to search for the numerous other threads that "compare" the resorts.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

15 hours of walking around with a big smile on your face is 15 hours of walking around with a big smile on your face

Location shouldn't matter
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Dreaming of Disney World

I have never been to DL but what I cant tell you about the parks is that WDW is alot bigger. Our MK is about 40 acres bigger than DL. Then there is Epcot which is bigger than MK and Animal Kingdom is just a monster park. But like the person above me said, don't compare the two, they really are different.

• Directly directed

You won't be disappointed. True MK isn't as good as DL but it's still good. And you have 3 other parks that are really good too. You're going to have a great time!

• Former Epcot CM

The Magic Kingdom suffers considerably from comparisons to Disneyland, which are true but it can block some peoples visions of how good the MK is based on its own merits, not based on what it doesn't have which DL does.

If we forget Disneyland, completely forget it ever existed, the Magic Kingdom is a superior theme park. It has the basics and more, and of course a great big hunk of fantastic architecture at the center - and not to mention around the park. I would kill for a park like the Magic Kingdom within 100 miles of my home in the UK. But yes, Disneyland kicks the MK's ***.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

If you have plenty of time you'll have a blast. If you only have one day it creates a terrible conundrum. Do I go to Magic Kindom and realize it's no where near the original. Or do I see some truly unique places like Animal Kingdom and Epcot but not see the Magic Kingdom so I can enjoy the differences.

Again if you have mulitple days there's pletny to do with no need to rush. If you only have one day, "choose wisely".

Chad

• The one, the only...

I have always had fun at both locations. I think you will be so immersed in having fun that the differences will not be so glaring. It is only when you have been to WDW several times that the shortcomings of the MK pop out at you. At first, it is absolutely wonderful with the magnificent castle and unique elements. But then on subsequent visits, one misses NOS and the Columbia and the "feel" that Disneyland gives you.

But WDW is SO much more that MK. That is what is wonderful about WDW. I would advise to only schedule ONE day at the Magic Kingdom. If you are a Disneyland fanatic, you have seen almost everything there. I would spend two days at Epcot, and maybe a day each at DMGMS and AK. Don't forget to see Downtown Disney and do some of the other recreation selections like boating or bike riding.

One of the true pleasures at WDW is the food. Make sure that you dine in a few of the wonderfully themed restaurants there. The food is much better than Disneyland and there are so many restaurants to choose from.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Pirate Girl

We went to WDW for the very first time last Nov. What amazes me is the easterners always saw "Ours is so much bigger" as that means is is better? You know what? Bigger is NOT always better!

The bus transportation between parks was very convenient. But eveything is so far apart, you can't see anything from anywhere! It is SO flat there. I guess I am used to the LA area with hills and mountains and civilization! From the airport to our hotel(we took the Magical Express) we saw some backyards and a gas station. That was it. I didn't even see Orlando!

All the shops had all the same stuff in them. That was weird. Their parks are FULL of tourists. You know how DLR has so many Annual passholders? Totally different in FLA.

Epcot and Animal Kingdom were fabulous! There is a lot of fun stuff at Epcot and the food was delicious! I loved the little ride in Norway :-) My favorite part at AK was Primeval Whirl! It looks like a kiddy ride. But it is so colorful and a lot of fun. Dinosaur was so dark I couldn't really see what was scary!

Magic Kingdom was okay but felt wrong. They have so much space wouldn't you think they would take advantage and make It's A Small World big like ours? Not that I am a big IASW fan. But I do like the outside of ours. Theirs is like our Pinnocchio or Snow White. They did have Mickey's PhilharMagic, which was fabulous! Their Haunted Mansion looked like it hadn't been touched since opening. Very sad. But they did have a cool Master Gracey portrrait at the beginning which was cool. Their Pirates was all wrong, no talking pirate head at all, no captain's quarters, no treasure scene. They did still have the Country Bear Jamboree which I miss at DL. Their Big Thunder is on the water which was nice and different. Their Tomorrowland was actually better than ours. I got to ride Carousel Of Progress for the first time. It is a little cheesy but it went away here before my time. They have The Tomorrowland Transit Authority which is like our People Mover. That was great!

MGM Studios was kind of a waste. Rockin' Rollercoaster was great but very fast. For those who like Tower Of Terror, it's there. I am not one of those.

Their Downtown Disney is far away. Whatever.

I don't need to go back for about 10 years. I miss DL when I skip a week.

Aprille :-)

• Banned User

I love the original! I've been going there since I was a small girl in the 60's.

Went to WDW 2 times and really loved it, but, I always miss DL when I am there. The differences make it feel foreign to me, but, I realize that is because I am so used to DL. I can walk around there with my eyes closed and know exactly where I'm located.

You will have a wonderful time though, just ask a lot of questions and choose wisely as another poster said.

• Banned User

WDW MK has some issues that need addressing (some very serious issues), as it's been the victim of bad descision making by WDW executives. However, it has a superior layout and hub, and a better castle (IMO) (and let's not forget it's gorgeous setting, on the shores of the Seven Seas Logoon - for years, DL sat on an......asphalt parking lot). Disneyland in California is small and cramped. I like both, but if the money and effort were put into the MK to update and fix the problems and mistakes that have befallen in over the years , it IMO would kick DL's ***.

I am not comparing the entire resorts, just the MK to DL.

• Minion

It's interesting to see the contrasts at WDW, but the Magic Kingdom is in no way comparable to Disneyland in terms of charm and detail. There are some variations worth seeing... Hall of Presidents, the castle mosaics... sadly the Nautilus subs went away... and one can revisit the Swiss Family Robinson, Carousel of Progress, or the Country Bears (bring 'em back!). But other than that there are a lot of disappointments at MK (they have a truly ugly Tomorrowland - - and their Tiki-fiasco will give you heartburn). Size is definitely not everything.

As for Epcot and Disney/MGM - - they are great first-time experiences, not so much on repeat for me (I haven't seen Animal Kingdom - - went to Islands of Adventure instead - - do check out IOA if you can - - it's a Disney-worthy park). Both are a mix of cool and ick impressions.

The best things at WDW, for me, are the Polynesian Hotel complex and the lagoon/Monorail entrance - - I wish we had both out here.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast