Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Railroad path

• Sgt Pepper's Cardiologist

Smile Railroad path

I love the railroad. Love it!

First thing we do is take a grand circle tour.

I wonder if it would ever be possible to create a second track that has stops in California Adevnture that went over the middle walkway and plaza.

After all, they are both paid zones. In Canada they really only sell Park Hopper tickets so I assume thats what everyone has... but I could be wrong.

But would that be cool. Every second or third train goes straight after the Grand Canyon and goes to it's next stop beside the Tower of Terror? It would circle around making one or two more DCA stops before returning to DL.

Disney Road

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Re: Railroad path

It would be a lot cheaper to connect the parks via a Skyway
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• :)

via skyway?

no no no my friend...

via submarine

• Closed Account

While the concept of some type of steam railraod has been seriously considered (a proposal for a steam-operated logging line that could showcase California's imapact in the timber industry was presented to John Lasseter, who apparently loved he idea), the concept as you've suggested is probably unworkable for a number of logistical reasons.

But one can always hope!

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Sorry, it's a great idea but it wouldn't work on several levels.

For openers, they didn't set aside any right-of-way path to expand the train tracks into the DCA perimeter - they would have had to plan this first for it to work, and they have too many other buildings in the way now.

If they had the track switch at the exit of the Primeval World diorama, it would go straight through the Costuming Building and have to be on a huge trestle over the East Esplanade where all the shuttle buses load. And at the other end to get back to the DLRR tracks they'd have to go right through where the Grand Californian Hotel and the Indiana Jones show building is, or make a huge loop-around and go through the Soarin' show building and another huge trestle with a looping curve over the Disneyland turnstiles.

There is quite an altitude drop between the DLRR and DCA - that's why the train is up high on the berm at the main entrance, and at ground level behind Small World where the Roundhouse is.

The train would have to be up on trestles or a real high berm for the whole distance around DCA, and that is very expensive. Trains can only climb a 1% to 2% grade without special engineering, so the track has to be raised or lowered (in a trench or tunnel) to keep the grade reasonable.

Second, they do sell quite a few single-park tickets, so you'd have to have manned admission turnstiles at each train station.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Banned User

I'd be happy if they made a monorail sation in DCA.

I love the idea of a logging train!
    The Mur

• Lost in Wonderland

Quote Originally Posted by mulishaCM View Post
    via skyway?

no no no my friend...

via submarine
    Heck I'd be happy if the Monorail had more stops in the park! Instead of just Tomorrowland and Downtown Disney.

I love the Railroad! If I am exhausted I just ride it and take in the sights until I am ready to move again.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Steve, can you please give us more details, I promise to refrain from sarcasm.

He's right, it probably wouldn't work (although anything's possible, look at the placement of Indiana Jones and all the show bldgs beyond the RR berm). But I still think the creator of the thread had a nice blue-sky idea, thanks for sharing your idea. Until now none of us has probably ever have heard of this logging railroad idea either, so please if Steve has any more info on this, like is it going to go all the way round DCA like the DL RR does? please share.

BTW I actually love the trains (the engines) themselves despite what I think of the open air passenger cars and the view along the way.

• Tom Chaney R.I. P.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    It would be a lot cheaper to connect the parks via a Skyway
    Jeff they already have the parks connected, it called
    walking

People have been doing this for years, I have been told it works very well, but I try to do as little as possiable.
    THIS SPACE FOR SALE OR LEASE

PRESIDENT OF THE DISNEYLAND LOOP LOVERS ASSOCIATION

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by tahoebob54 View Post
    Jeff they already have the parks connected, it called
    walking

People have been doing this for years, I have been told it works very well, but I try to do as little as possiable.
    Who sponsors that ride ?

Sony ?

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Steve, can you please give us more details, I promise to refrain from sarcasm.

He's right, it probably wouldn't work (although anything's possible, look at the placement of Indiana Jones and all the show bldgs beyond the RR berm). But I still think the creator of the thread had a nice blue-sky idea, thanks for sharing your idea. Until now none of us has probably ever have heard of this logging railroad idea either, so please if Steve has any more info on this, like is it going to go all the way round DCA like the DL RR does? please share.
    Bruce has probably nailed all the logistical issues.

As for the proposed Shay logging line, I don't have all the specifics. I believe it was to go around the Grizzly Peak. There was a detailed proposal by the Imagineer who designed the line (Ray Spencer--art director on the Ward Kimball and a railfan). Lasseter, also a train guy, apparently loved the idea, since the idea that DCA seemed to need a rail attraction has been floating about at various levels for some time now. Then the proposal was presented to Jay Rasulo.

From what I hear, Mr. Rasulo did not find much to be interested in about the proposal. Shocking, I know. So now, it's DOA.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by barfownz View Post
    I'd be happy if they made a monorail station in DCA.
    Frankly, I'm amazed that they didn't put a Monorail station inside the Grand Californian - that would have been truly an added benefit of staying in the most expensive hotel in the area. They left a space that can be converted into one, though.

And a station for DCA would be easy. In front of "Monsters Inc." they have an 'Emergency Evacuation Only" platform and stairs now.

The only problem with the extra stops would be the dispatch timing, and they'd have to check everyone's tickets when re-entering at both parks, rather than only when entering at the DTD Monorail Station.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYardDog View Post
    Walking? Who sponsors that ride? Sony?
    Too many to list: Nike, Adidas, Keds, Vans, RedWing, Crocs, Bruno Magli, Hush Puppies, Court Classics...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Bruce has probably nailed all the logistical issues.
    Hey, I try to translate Bafflegab into English wherever possible. It helps to know WHY an idea won't work - sometimes you can find a way around the problems.

And before I trimmed that line for length, it went "You cant climb more than a 1% or 2% grade without special equipment like a Shay logging engine with a gear cog rack running down the center of the track..." Scary...
    As for the proposed Shay logging line, I don't have all the specifics. I believe it was to go around the Grizzly Peak. There was a detailed proposal by the Imagineer who designed the line (Ray Spencer--art director on the Ward Kimball and a railfan). Lasseter, also a train guy, apparently loved the idea, since the idea that DCA seemed to need a rail attraction has been floating about at various levels for some time now. Then the proposal was presented to Jay Rasulo.

From what I hear, Mr. Rasulo did not find much to be interested in about the proposal. Shocking, I know. So now, it's DOA.
    All it takes is one bean counter in a position of power to derail a perfectly good idea. And now that they didn't leave a place to put it (without spending a ton more to move things) it probably is DOA.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I'm sure it's just on the back burner until we are all introduced to the new toy train in Toy Story 3.

Personally, I've never been a fan of the "connect both gates" idea.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Personally, I've never been a fan of the "connect both gates" idea.
    Neither have I. The Disneyland Railroad and the Main Street Vehicles do a reasonably good job of transporting guests to the entrance of D.C.A., already. But, I wouldn't mind if Tomorrowland Station of the monorail service is closed so that a new station in the Main Entry Plaza and between the two parks can be built.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast