Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Vandal Throws Quarter at Monorail and gets caught!

I just wanted to share this cause I'd like to know what ya'll would have done.

Friday afternoon I was with some family members at the park, we were waiting in line for the Matterhorn on the monorail side of the mountain. While in line, Monorail purple was pulling into the station, as it was coming by, a teenager threw a quarter at the monorail, the quarter bounced off the monorail and made such a noise, I thought something had happened mechanically to the monorail. My relative saw the entire incident, I did not. They told me what happened and I left the line to see about informing a cast member of what happened.

I found a CM and informed them that a guest had thrown something at the monorail as it was pulling into the station and they were in line for the matterhorn. Two CM's accompanied me back to the line where my relatives were. They pointed out the individual to the CM who called security. Some time passed as we waited for a security guard to come to the call. The relatives spoke with the security guard, told him what they saw and who it was, the gaurd asked them to write down their contact info. They did and the gaurd pulled the kid out of line. He asked the kid if he did it and why and the kid admitted to doing it only because my family wasn't the only one that saw him do it cause several people spoke up after the guard got there and pointed him out as well.

As my family handed the gaurd back his notebook, the last thing they heard him say to the kid was "you are coming with me back to the security office."

Now I don't know what park policy is, personally if I were in charge I'd have thrown him out and revoked his AP if he had one.

The group of friends that he was with didn't seem too pleased that I notified park security that their friend did what he did. I'm of the mind that the park is finally having alot of good things happen to it, we don't need people trying to destroy it.

So, after reading all that, would you have done the same thing? Have you had a similar experience?

• Rainicorn.

Good on you. I mean, it was a quarter and it made a huge thwacking noise! If he's throwing stuff at the Monorail, who knows what kind of other stuff he was doing in the park?

I don't know if they would revoked his AP, but they probably would have give him a stern talking to... perhaps ask him to leave the park if they thought it was that serious.

I would have told an AP, too, truth be told. People don't take responsiblity for their actions.
    Well, light travels from the sun. Then, bounces off of our planet, and back into our eyes so we can perceive color. My body can intercept that light and dance around on it!

-- robotarmada.net --

• Pathetically Obsessed

Nice job! You and your relatives did exactly the right thing. I would like to think that I would have had the same presence of mind to have done the same thing you folks did ~ find a CM and have them call Security. The quarter bouncing off the monorail could have bounced off and struck another guest. This is hoodlum-type behavior and should not be tolerated anywhere, let alone in Disneyland.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Good things rarely result from anything that happens after someone says, "Hey, watch this!"

Good job. I hope I would have the same fortitude.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• "Retired" DL Tour Guide

excellent job Dexter. I'm sure they spoke with him back at the office and released him. Its possible that if he was an AP, they could have revoked his AP, but its unlikely given the brevity of the situation. Most likely, the just wanted to scare him into NOT doing that again...and I'm sure they succeeded. Did a regular security cm or lead respond? Or was it a business-casual dressed security manager?
    -"We can see a new horizon...built on all that we have done..and our dreams begin another thousand circles 'round the sun!"
    -- Epcot: Illuminations "Reflections of Earth"

-"...Each dream that you chase, each wish you embrace can lead to a fabulous faraway place...!"
    --DCA: World Of Color

I initially spoke with the lead for tomorrowland, he was as upset as I was that someone threw something at the monorail. He called someone on the radio and a security CM in costume came up and handled the incident.

• insufferable know-it-all

I say good show! When we let teenagers loose on the world, we do so knowing that they're going to have to learn by making mistakes. This teen made a mistake, and BOY did he learn! It's important that we hold them accountable for their actions so that they CAN learn.

If we don't, they grow up into people like this.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Rainicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    When we let teenagers loose on the world, we do so knowing that they're going to have to learn by making mistakes.
    Being a teenager, I'm really ashamed of what some of my peers do. I'm not perfect at all, but I learned respect and responsibility from people around me. Sigh.
    Well, light travels from the sun. Then, bounces off of our planet, and back into our eyes so we can perceive color. My body can intercept that light and dance around on it!

-- robotarmada.net --

• Puppy Cuddles

I'm guessing he'll be way too scared to ever do something so disrespectful again. Good job Dex!
    The King is back and he's ready to kick some tail. Do not mess with a mouse in black.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

I would hope that if this was an AP that in the very least it was revoked. AP or no I think a 1 year ban for this kid would be enough to show him the error of his ways.

Today it may be quarters thrown at trains tomorrow it could be bricks dropped from freeway overpasses.....best to nip this sort of behavior in the bud.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• insufferable know-it-all

It really comes down to not thinking through the consequences of their actions. To him, hey look how funny it is to throw a quarter at the train, and wouldn't it be cool if he could get it in the window. To the person hit in the eye by the ricocheting quarter, it's a lifelong disability... Kids don't see more than 1 or 2 stages past their behavior, until someone forces them to think about it.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Minion

I would have done the same thing because its a safety issue. Like someone else said, it could have bounced off the Monorail and hit someone on the head. Incidents like this are not taken lightly with Security or Attractions and I'm sure he got more than a stern talking to. In my opinion and from my experience (never to me but as witness to other incidents), his pass was probably suspended and depending on his age, they called his parents to pick him up.

• Brandys MOM

I'd expect nothing less from you everyone needs to be pro active in a situation like that.
    "Sometimes Miracles Hide"

• e komo mai

I think that was a good call. Stuff like this happens all the time. There are consequences to actions, good and bad. He totally learned that that day.

Once I was at the park with innerSpaceman and we saw a guest walking around the hub with a canoe paddle. We weren't sure how she got from the Rivers of America to the hub with a paddle, but she did. iSm informed a security cast member in costume and the CM took it away with a warning to the girl. She seemed to have expected someone eventually taking it away from her...

• Videographer

Quote Originally Posted by DextersLab

The group of friends that he was with didn't seem too pleased that I notified park security that their friend did what he did. I'm of the mind that the park is finally having alot of good things happen to it, we don't need people trying to destroy it.

So, after reading all that, would you have done the same thing? Have you had a similar experience?

You did what too many people fail to do, stand up for what is right or wrong. The fact nothing happened in this incident is just luck. Someone could have got hurt in the car, on the ground, or even cause a mechanical problem.

You did not act on your own, you get the right people involved who looks like took the right steps. Doesn't sound like anyone got out of control, all progressed well.

I don't think an incident like this should result in expulsion from the Park unless the kid has 'a record' with Disneyland already. A first time incident, scare then straight and let them go. At least that is my opinion.

RU

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast