Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Collision speed....FULL!

Re: Chicken Of The Sea Pirate Ship Restaurant Model

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Sam View Post
    It's also on the official for only $1 more. No offense to monstersinmotion.com, but I'd rather buy it from the official store, especially if registration is required.
    I bought from Monsters in Motion because their place is really close so I could pick it up easily.

Here's the box...

Not very Disney like. The original box from the 60's showed the ship how I modeled it with the red, yellow, and striped sails. But that was in the 60's...

• Head Salesman

Shoot. I was hoping they'd reproduce the box as well. Oh well.

I also just found the model on Amazon.com for $9.95.
    Ask about my popular 2-for-1 sale!

Visit my site, the Disney Experience, for awesome Disney downloads. All are welcome!

• Mousketeer

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    I had heard that when they attempted to move the ship,
    it just crumbled from decay. I'm sure someone else has
    details, or perhaps even pics.
    It didn't crumble, it was dropped, by accident. It was my understanding that they were going to move the ship (and skull rock) around to where the wonderbra theatre is. But they ran out of money, so they were still going to move the ship and just store it when it dropped.

They also make another version that glows in the dark

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Sam View Post
    I also notice that the Revell site doesn't mention Disney or Disneyland in any way.
    These model companies that have been around forever, are rather well known for re-using old molds for differently named products. I guess back in the old days...Disney's licensing agreements weren't what they are probably up to now.

Not just Disney either. Many other movie and television studios model kits from the past, have since been re-packaged as some new more generic item. But in actuality...it's basically the same mold.

I recall seeing 2001: A Space Odyssey model kits just renamed different things. Same with the old TV show "UFO." And many others.

One of the big model kit makers had inexpensive model kits of about 3 scenes from "Disneyland's Pirates of the Caribbean" back in the 60's and 70's. The were pretty well detailed and actually had "action" elements to them (usually supplied by springing a rubber band "trap"). When painted properly...they presented some very interesting dioramas.

All 3 were skeleton scenes, however. Somewhere in the Opus Archives I have one finished one (a raft with stuff thrown about and when you open a cargo chest, a skeleton pirate springs out and slams a dagger into the "X" of a treasure map sitting atop of another chest)...and also all 3 still sealed in their boxes.

• Mousketeer

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    One of the big model kit makers had inexpensive model kits of about 3 scenes from "Disneyland's Pirates of the Caribbean" back in the 60's and 70's. The were pretty well detailed and actually had "action" elements to them (usually supplied by springing a rubber band "trap"). When painted properly...they presented some very interesting dioramas.

All 3 were skeleton scenes, however. Somewhere in the Opus Archives I have one finished one (a raft with stuff thrown about and when you open a cargo chest, a skeleton pirate springs out and slams a dagger into the "X" of a treasure map sitting atop of another chest)...and also all 3 still sealed in their boxes.
    I had those also, but my models didn't turn out so well, so I think they were thrown away. I'll be looking for them soon though.

• Santa Barbara, CA

We never saw the stern with the mermaid..
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville View Post
    We never saw the stern with the mermaid..
    That "Chicken Of The Sea" mermaid and carved company crest as it were...

...remained as you can see, even after Chicken of the Sea ended their sponsorship of the restaurant and attraction, all the way until the ship was destroyed.

There was also a mermaid figurehead at the prow of the ship while it was Chicken of the Sea and for some time afterword. Don't know exactly when this very Peter Pan/Disneyesque mermaid was removed, but it did disappear at some point.

Here's the best shot of that one I could find (look upper right):

And here's a close-up of just her from that photo:

What a collectible that would have made! Wonder if it ended up at Tony Baxter's house?

Nautilus...you may have to get busy carving a very miniature mermaid for the prow of your model.

"Ask Any Mermaid You Happen To See...What's The Best Tuna? Chicken Of The Sea!"

Nautilus,

Thank you for sharing the result of your meticulous work! This is a sight to behold. As someone who never experienced this attraction, I'm very grateful to you for posting the pics. I wish it was still there...
    "There's a Great, Big Beautiful Tomorrow ... Waiting at the End of Every Day." -- Disneyland's Carousel of Progress

• Eeyore smiling

What a great thread.
    The model turned out Fabulous, especially when compared to the box!

Seeing the old pics of pre-83 fantasyland are just so precious. I remember so well my amazement when they closed down Fantasyland, I just could not believe that DL would think to close an entire land. We would take the skyway over it and take peaks at the construction going on...which is why all the sneak pictures of current construction fascinate me so! For some reason I vividly recall the fantastic roofs that they put on the old rides, making them look like a midevial village from the sky, and then not too many years later they took out the skyway, which sorta defeated the whole point! I digress.
    In seeing the map and the pictures, it does seem so odd that Disney would have decided to take it out at all! It was such a magnent, someone said that many a kid had been introduced to Tuna on that boat, and you know what, I love tuna today, one has to wonder if I associate tuna with disneyland!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123