Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Child Star Has Been

Re: Surprising Ride Count: Disneyland vs. Disney World

In my opinion, the World Showcase (sans the rides) is a whole Theme Park alone. To discount this seems silly. True, they are not rides or shows but they are wonderful experiences. I could spend a few days just exploring the countries.
    ~Heather~

You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious.

I am everyone's friend.

Of course, the more attractions the better. That is why DCA with its 26 attractions is much better than Epcot and its "17" attractions.

So, by your definition, we should tear down Epcot and replace it with DCA. Right?

Stop trying to quantify a qualitative experience. Seriously, this argument is pitiful. You are trying to suggest that you can do a numerical analysis of two completely different places and decide that one experience is better than the other.

Disneyland isn't better than Walt Disney World. Walt Disney World isn't better than Disneyland. They are different. Enjoy them both.

Oh, and on a side note, if you want to compare all of the attractions at WDW, you do need to include the water parks and such. Even if you thought it didn't add to the vacation, you are doing a numerical analysis, not an opinion based one.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by 5hr drive View Post
    Great thread! I get the impression from a few posts that the "spaciousness" of the WDW parks is generally seen as a positive (grander scale, less crowded walkways, etc.) I on the other hand much prefer the coziness and intimacy of Disneyland, and to a lesser extent DCA. It's so nice to be able to get from one side of Disneyland to the other in about 5 minutes (usually) as opposed to the Magic Kingdom. And Epcot, while admittedly my second favorite park after Disneyland, is exhausting. Man, once you hit 40, you appreciate less distance between attractions!
    Agreed totally! I love WDW for what it is, but when I was there, it was a weird feeling in some places. It's a bit hard to describe, but I almost felt I was insignificant to what was around me. Disneyland is much more compact and I feel more connected to the varied lands and surroundings as I pass through them.

It is also nice knowing that you can get from point A to point B relatively quickly, so you can actually enjoy more than you would expect in any given amount of time.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by davewasbaloo View Post
    Plus add in California weather, easy reach of Mountains, Desert and beaches, DL is awesome.
    Thank you! When friends and family come for a visit I always encourage them to do all these things -- especially the beach -- in addition to their Disney visit.

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Quote Originally Posted by 5hr drive View Post
    And Epcot, while admittedly my second favorite park after Disneyland, is exhausting. Man, once you hit 40, you appreciate less distance between attractions!
    LOL, but I heard this last year that EPCOT stands for "Every Person Comes Out Tired". It is almost a mile across!

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Quote Originally Posted by SanctumSolitude View Post
    Of course, the more attractions the better. That is why DCA with its 26 attractions is much better than Epcot and its "17" attractions.

So, by your definition, we should tear down Epcot and replace it with DCA. Right?

Stop trying to quantify a qualitative experience. Seriously, this argument is pitiful. You are trying to suggest that you can do a numerical analysis of two completely different places and decide that one experience is better than the other.

Disneyland isn't better than Walt Disney World. Walt Disney World isn't better than Disneyland. They are different. Enjoy them both.

Oh, and on a side note, if you want to compare all of the attractions at WDW, you do need to include the water parks and such. Even if you thought it didn't add to the vacation, you are doing a numerical analysis, not an opinion based one.
    I did not get a sense that anyone was trying to say one resort was better than the other. The title of the thread was "ride count". This is subjective. And some things are hard to put into a category like World Showcase.

It is fair to say, like some of you have, that looking at just the rides gives a skewed perspective. But I also think it is reasonable to point out the "ride density" at WDW is lower than DLR. With four parks to DLR's two, I would have expected twice as many rides. What DLR vets do not always understand is that WDW is not as much about rides, strictly speaking, as is DLR.

Finally, the ride count and headliner count should be instructive for DLR vets. I see posts here about the need for new headliners at DL and DCA. And maybe that is so. But I think DLR vets are spoiled in this area.

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Agreed totally! I love WDW for what it is, but when I was there, it was a weird feeling in some places. It's a bit hard to describe, but I almost felt I was insignificant to what was around me. Disneyland is much more compact and I feel more connected to the varied lands and surroundings as I pass through them.

It is also nice knowing that you can get from point A to point B relatively quickly, so you can actually enjoy more than you would expect in any given amount of time.
    It really depends on what people are accustomed to. And each does have advantages.

With WDW vets, they are accustomed to a spread out resort with lots of things going outside the parks. DLR often seems cramped, with not enough to do outside the parks. When visiting DLR they keep asking about things like buses and shuttles, when (IMO) they should be asking about the hotels within easy walking distance.

To DLR vets accustomed to easy park access, easy parkhopping, and overall better weather, WDW seems so spread out and hard to reach. Park hopping is time consuming. Buses and boats waste time. And it rains too much and is humid. When visiting WDW they should be asking more about the dining opportunities and activities which take place outside the parks.

For thinking purposes I do think it is useful to make comparisons, but often one is biased towards how one is accustomed to experiencing their home resort.

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Magic Kingdom: 5
    -Space Mountain
    -Big Thunder Mountain
    -Splash Mountain
    -Pirates of the Caribbean
    -Haunted Mansion

EPCOT: 4
    -Soarin'
    -Test Track
    -Mission: Space
    -Body Wars (?)

Disney-MGM Studios: 3
    -Tower of Terror
    -Rock'n'rollercoaster
    -Star Tours

Animal Kingdom: 4
    -Kilamanjaro Safari
    -Dinosaur
    -Kali River Rapids
    -Expedition Everest

total: 16
    When I was at WDW last year, Body Wars wasgone. So that would bring the WDW count down by one.

And as we all realize, this type of list is debatable. I think there are other attractions as worthy of being headliners as Star Tours. But that is just me being subjective.
    Last edited by HydroGuy; 02-18-2007 at 12:16 PM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    You can't lump Flick's Fun Fair rides together unless you count Dumbo, the Teacups and the Carousel as one attraction. Just because they're skipable if you're over 5 does not mean they don't have fans out there. They're just under 38 inches tall.

Each of those attractions at DL are larger attractions, than any one
    of the "rides" at Flick Fair (the Fun hasn't been in the signage for
    almost a year ~ which is self explanatory ) The attractions at DL
    are more impressive, because they are larger, which also means they
    accomodate more people. The DL attractions do not have such ridiculous
    height restrictions. And if comparring Casey Jr to Heimlich's Chew Chew,
    Heimlich certainly short changes you, If it was twice as long, then it would be on track with a FL attraction. Tuck and Roll is cute with the
    bug's talking, but is completely useless because the cars move at an
    excrutiatingly S-----L-----O-----W pace! Francis Ladybug Boogie is
    only has is it 8 bugs? Why in the world such a low number, it needs to
    be twice the the size to get it up to Mad Tea Party comparrison. Flik's
    Flyers, again, just too small comparred to any FL attraction. Then they
    add to separate water play areas in this area??? Ugggg. There should
    have only been half the space designed for water play, as they built.
    and give up the rest of the space to increase the capacity of Francis and
    Heimlich. They were on the right track with the heavily themed attractions, but then they blew it by SLOWING them down, cutting down
    the ride length and capacity. In the end, each of these Flik's Fair attractions is less than 1 of anything in FL.

Similar to Paradise Pier's off the shelf rides, they don't deserve to
    to be counted as a REAL Disney attraction.

Even before DCA opened, it was very apparent that DL had twice the
    number of attraction that the Magic Kingdom at WDW. And that was
    frustrating in that you had huge walkways with lots of room, but most
    everyone is standing in line for the headliner attractions. So the walkways are very much overbuilt. Main Street certainly doesn't have
    the small town feel at WDW, and a walk through Adventureland certainly
    doesn't have the same Jungle feel that Disneyland's Adventureland
    has. In that regard WDW fails in the experience.

It's really sad to see the Magic Kingdom at WDW has so much more
    space, but doesn't use it's space well at all. There is plenty of room
    there, and no reason why the subs should have ever closed. And
    the Skyway was so much more of a necessity at WDW, that should have
    stayed open, too. There was no reason for Mr. Toad to close at WDW.
    there was plenty of room for a building a seperate Pooh building. And
    WHY and HOW did they manage to build such a miniscule Small World with
    such a horrible front for it's attractions comparred to the Fantastic front
    of the DL version. WDW has more room, why is small world SO MUCH LESS?

Mickey's Toontown Fair still all has a cheap feel to it. Certainly this
    whole area should have been upgraded, and a couple of attractions
    should have been added, when they knew it was going to become a
    "permanent land" in WDW's Magic Kingdom.

Now one other thing to mention is DL's Tomorrowland, there should be
    at least 3 more attractions on the list, (peoplemover, skyway,
    replacement for Mission to the Moon/Mars, not to mention updates
    for older attractions which wouldnt add to the total count, but would
    drastically increase the quality and desire to go on those attractions)
    to move the number up to what Tomorrowland should have. So that
    would move DL's numbers closer to WDW's.

Again, as I mentioned previously, EPCOT's countries should each be
    counted as a separate attraction, whether there is a ride in that country
    or not. The kind of quality placed in each of these countries makes the
    country an attraction by itself. The details in each of the countries is
    amazing, and so much of what is lacking in most of DCA (primarily the
    hideous paradise pier). On the other hand, it is really sad that most of
    the attractions in the countries is just a movie. The countries really
    could be enhanced by having a E Ticket for just half the countries. Imagine
    the extra life that would give to EPCOT. It's really sad that with after
    25 years of EPCOT, no E-Ticket attraction has been added ANYWHERE in the World Showcase. There is the grand AA show in the American Pavillion, but no other countries have something a littler more fun.

Things are definitely debatable on this topic, and I had a hard time myself trying to figure out what I considered an "attraction". I was using recent guidemaps from the Florida parks as a tool, and things I left off of the list but that are clearly listed as "attractions" in the Florida parks were stuff like;
    Advanced Training Lab - The HP post-show at Mission: SPACE with a bunch of computer games and such.
    Journey Into Narnia - The small walk-through set of the wintry scene from the movie
    Ariel's Grotto - Meet n' Greet for the mermaid
    Affection Section - A petting corral out at Conservation Station. I just let it be included as part of Conservation Station as an "attraction".

As a rare Disneyland example, I failed to count Donald's Boat as an attraction. The lawyers neutered that thing long ago, and I just couldn't bring myself to call that an attraction anymore.

Then there were things that are questionable, or minor, but that showed up in both the Disneyland maps and the Florida maps as being attractions. When that happened at both properties, I basically counted them as attractions for both locations. Examples of that are Turtle Talk With Crush, Innoventions and Meet Mickey's House.

Those are just some examples of how if I were to use the guidemap definitions of "attractions" I would come up with a higher count. But I just couldn't consider post-show corporate displays or individual animal cages in a larger exhibit as separate "attractions", even though the Disney World guidemaps were trying to do just that. It was interesting to see how with each different guidemap the definition of "attraction" would be stretched a bit if that specific park didn't have a lot of stuff. Animal Kingdom's guidemap calls out 22 separate attractions, for example, with the train to Conservation Station supposedly being four separate attractions according to the guidemap. I counted the train to Conservation Station as two attractions for Animal Kingdom.

As for each country in World Showcase being an attraction, I couldn't quite decide on how to call that. They are all very pretty buildings, but for half of those countries they really just consist of a couple of restaurants and some gift shops. Italy, Germany, Japan, Morroco, United Kingdom are all countries that have no designated "attraction" there. Fun to wander past or peek into the shop on your way to Maelstrom, but I just didn't know how to say that the Italian Alfredo restaurant and the adjacent purse store was an "attraction".

Clearly, this is a subject that will illicit different responses from different people. But I was just surprised at how few "rides" and major shows Disney World had compared to Disneyland. You would think since the Florida property is so much bigger! than Disneyland that it would have had at least double the number of rides. But it doesn't, and the margin between the two is quite slim with the Anaheim property seemingly on a more aggresive campaign to add even more rides, shows and attractions in the next three or four years.

It's quite surprising actually. I always knew Disneyland's Fantasyland had a lot more going on, but I figured overall Disney World would have had a great many more rides and attractions to offer over Disneyland and DCA combined.
    Last edited by TP2000; 02-18-2007 at 12:31 PM.

• Progressive Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    I think by totally ignoring things like each pavilion in WS you completely are missing the Disney Experience and this thread is like 'which park has more roller coasters, Cedar Point or MM?'

You also skipped every other portion of the WDW resort outside the theme parks - a fatal flaw.
    Amen to that.

Once you start factoring in the 2 water parks, the HUGE Downtown Disney area that squashes the one in DL, the better and nicer hotels (that are experiences within themselves), and the other recreational things & activities available in DW, DW comes out the CLEAR winner when comparing the two resorts.

The DW experience can't be measured in a pure attraction count. That's the only way DL can size up against it -- and it still falls short.

This is fun! Let's come up with a count of how many parades, night spectaculars or major stage productions are held daily at each property. To try and put it on a level playing field, we'll use this summer's Saturday entertainment schedule for each park.

Disneyland:
    Fantasmic! at 9:00pm and 10:30pm
    Walt Disney's Parade of Dreams at 3:00pm and 7:30pm
    Remember Dreams Come True Fireworks at 9:25pm

DCA:
    Block Party Bash Parade at 5:15pm
    Aladdin - A Musical Spectacular at 12:30, 2:00, 4:15, and 6:00pm
    High School Musical Pep Rally 11:30, 11:45, 1:00, 1:15, 3:15 and 3:30pm
    Disney's Electrical Parade at 8:45pm

Magic Kingdom:
    Disney Dreams Come True Parade at 3:00pm
    SpectroMagic Parade at 9:00pm
    Wishes Fireworks at 9:30pm

Epcot:
    IllumiNations at 9:00pm

MGM Studios:
    Disney Stars and Motor Cars Parade at 3:00pm
    Fantasmic! at 9:00pm
    High School Musical Pep Rally (can't find a schedule, I'm guessing six performances a day like DCA)

Animal Kingdom:
    Mickey's Jammin' Jungle Parade at 4:00pm

So, add that all up, and on an average summer day you've got the following at each property:

Anaheim:
    Three Different Parades at Four Separate Times
    One Street Show at Six Different Times
    One Night Spectacular at Two Different Times
    One Major Theater Production at Four Different Times
    One Fireworks Spectacular

Orlando:
    Four Different Parades at Four Separate Times
    Two Different Night Spectaculars at Two Different Times

Geez, that's just as surprising to me as the ride count numbers were. Even setting aside the issue of the artistic merits of offerings like MGM's Fantasmic! or the Stars And Motor Cars Parade, the raw numbers are surprising.

When DCA gets the new lagoon show in '08, the numbers are basically a dead match.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by KISSman View Post
    Amen to that.

Once you start factoring in the 2 water parks, the HUGE Downtown Disney area that squashes the one in DL, the better and nicer hotels (that are experiences within themselves), and the other recreational things & activities available in DW, DW comes out the CLEAR winner when comparing the two resorts.

The DW experience can't be measured in a pure attraction count. That's the only way DL can size up against it -- and it still falls short.
    If you were to factor quality into the comparison, the Disneyland Resort would come out the winner. Yes, there is more to do at Walt Disney World but I have a better experience at other Disney resorts with the exception of Paris since the Walt Disney Studios doesn't do anything for me.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Quote Originally Posted by TP2000 View Post
    This is fun! Let's come up with a count of how many parades, night spectaculars or major stage productions are held daily at each property. To try and put it on a level playing field, we'll use this summer's Saturday entertainment schedule for each park.

Disneyland:
    Fantasmic! at 9:00pm and 10:30pm
    Walt Disney's Parade of Dreams at 3:00pm and 7:30pm
    Remember Dreams Come True Fireworks at 9:25pm

DCA:
    Block Party Bash Parade at 5:15pm
    Aladdin - A Musical Spectacular at 12:30, 2:00, 4:15, and 6:00pm
    High School Musical Pep Rally 11:30, 11:45, 1:00, 1:15, 3:15 and 3:30pm
    Disney's Electrical Parade at 8:45pm

Magic Kingdom:
    Disney Dreams Come True Parade at 3:00pm
    SpectroMagic Parade at 9:00pm
    Wishes Fireworks at 9:30pm

Epcot:
    IllumiNations at 9:00pm

MGM Studios:
    Disney Stars and Motor Cars Parade at 3:00pm
    Fantasmic! at 9:00pm
    High School Musical Pep Rally (can't find a schedule, I'm guessing six performances a day like DCA)

Animal Kingdom:
    Mickey's Jammin' Jungle Parade at 4:00pm

So, add that all up, and on an average summer day you've got the following at each property:

Anaheim:
    Three Different Parades at Four Separate Times
    One Night Spectacular at Two Different Times
    One Major Theater Production at Four Different Times

Orlando:
    Four Different Parades at Four Separate Times
    Two Different Night Spectaculars at Two Different Times

Geez, that's just as surprising to me as the ride count numbers were. Even setting aside the issue of the artistic merits of offerings like MGM's Fantasmic! or the Stars And Motor Cars Parade, the raw numbers are surprising.

When DCA gets the new lagoon show in '08, the numbers are basically a dead match.
    This is not a fair comparison, as summer at WDW is not peak season the way it is at DLR. But even in summer Fantasmic is usually shown more than once a night. Heck, they show it three times a night during some times of the year.

Also, at MGM you left out:

o Beauty and Beast show (not as good as Aladdin, and the stage is not as nice, but still it is roughly comparable)

o Lights, Motor, Action Stunt show

o Indiana Jones Stunt show

At AK you left out:

o Festival of the Lion King show (pretty good show)

o Flights of Wonder (best bird show I have ever seen bar none)

o Finding Nemo show (new show since last summer and is getting great reviews)

We found the shows at WDW to be in much higher abundance than DLR, and overall of good quality. But DLR now has a better fireworks show, better Fantasmic, better parade (POD) and better drama/musical (Aladdin) than any of those at the WDW parks.

On the other hand, there are shows outside the parks at WDW. There are two dinner shows - Hoop-Dee-Due Revue (which we saw) and Polynesion Luau (which we didn't). Plus there is the Cirque de Soleil.

WDW beats DLR in the show area in terms of quantity, frequency and variety. At the moment DLR has a few of the better shows.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HydroGuy View Post
    This is not a fair comparison, as summer at WDW is not peak season the way it is at DLR. But even in summer Fantasmic is usually shown more than once a night. Heck, they show it three times a night during some times of the year.

Also, at MGM you left out:

o Beauty and Beast show (not as good as Aladdin, and the stage is not as nice, but still it is roughly comparable)

o Lights, Motor, Action Stunt show

o Indiana Jones Stunt show

At AK you left out:

o Festival of the Lion King show (pretty good show)

o Flights of Wonder (best bird show I have ever seen bar none)

o Finding Nemo show (new show since last summer and is getting great reviews)

We found the shows at WDW to be in much higher abundance than DLR, and overall of good quality. But DLR now has a better fireworks show, better Fantasmic, better parade (POD) and better drama/musical (Aladdin) than any of those at the WDW parks.

On the other hand, there are shows outside the parks at WDW. There are two dinner shows - Hoop-Dee-Due Revue (which we saw) and Polynesion Luau (which we didn't). Plus there is the Cirque de Soleil.

WDW beats DLR in the show area in terms of quantity, frequency and variety. At the moment DLR has a few of the better shows.
    Fantasmic is also shown three times a day during some times in Disneyland. And he left out those shows because he classified them as attractions.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast