Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Re: Surprising Ride Count: Disneyland vs. Disney World

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    Fantasmic is also shown three times a day during some times in Disneyland.
    I was unaware of that. The most I have ever seen on the schedule is twice. When do this do this? At Christmas?

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    Fantasmic is also shown three times a day during some times in Disneyland. And he left out those shows because he classified them as attractions.
    I missed that too. But IMO most of these are better classified as shows. The MGM stunt shows are debatable (whether shows or "attractions"), but still shows IMO.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HydroGuy View Post
    I was unaware of that. The most I have ever seen on the schedule is twice. When do this do this? At Christmas?
    Surprisingly not at Christmas, but during Easter Week. There may also be some other times that I'm not aware of like Christmas Eve or July 17th.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Here's another thing to consider. You can ride MORE rides in 1 solid day at the Disneyland resort than you can EVER do at WDW. Disneyland vs any other park wins... but even if you were to park hop, DCA is right across the way. Park hopping at WDW takes up so much time.

I somehow end up park hopping daily when I'm at WDW though (except when at Ecpot, and Animal Kingdom closes early anyway so you can't help but park hop out of that park).

WDW needs more rides. Things like world showcase is fantastic and I love it there, but with a resort with so many parks and so much land, they certainly aren't giving you the most bang for your buck. A 5 day park hopper pass over there is like $400-500 right? A premium annual pass to Disneyland is $356!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Bring Your Own Redemption

Hmmm... I don't think counting a few attractions here and there matters much. To me, the margin between the number of major attractions and rides at the Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World Resort remains surprisingly slim.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    A 5 day park hopper pass over there is like $400-500 right? A premium annual pass to Disneyland is $356!
    Actually, it's not that high. A 10-Day ticket is actually only $216, and a 5-Day ticket is $206. I find it weird that they only add $10 for 5 extra days. An annual pass is about $460 I think, and gives you unlimited admission plus park-hopping priveleges to all 4 theme parks. There are no blockout dates. A premium annual pass is about $595 and gives you access to the water parks, as well as basically everything else on property.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Loves Fajita!

I was in DL the last weekend in September (start of Halloween time) and both Friday and Saturday they did 3 Fantasmics. They were not scheduled though - only two were scheduled but they announced that they added a third Fantasmic and were going to close an hour later in the late afternoon early evening.

Quote Originally Posted by HydroGuy View Post
    This is not a fair comparison, as summer at WDW is not peak season the way it is at DLR. But even in summer Fantasmic is usually shown more than once a night. Heck, they show it three times a night during some times of the year.

Also, at MGM you left out:

o Beauty and Beast show (not as good as Aladdin, and the stage is not as nice, but still it is roughly comparable)

o Lights, Motor, Action Stunt show

o Indiana Jones Stunt show

At AK you left out:

o Festival of the Lion King show (pretty good show)

o Flights of Wonder (best bird show I have ever seen bar none)

o Finding Nemo show (new show since last summer and is getting great reviews)
    I left out those shows at MGM and Animal Kingdom because I already included them in the attractions tally at the start of this thread. The Disney guidemaps for those two parks also list those shows as "attractions". MGM even lists Fantasmic! as an "attraction", number 18 on the guidemap to be exact.

Summer isn't a peak season for WDW? Really? I used the official disney.com website for Walt Disney World and picked Saturday, July 14th as the "average" day. That day MGM is scheduled to be open from 9:00am to 10:00pm with one scheduled showing of Fantasmic! at 9:00pm.

The schedules for all parks are up through August '07 on the Disney World site, and for what it's worth I did find two weeks during Easter Vacation when MGM will have two Fantasmic! shows per night, and two days on Memorial Day Weekend with two shows. But for the vast majority of the calendar from mid April through August it goes back to one show per night, even on weekends.

Again, I just picked a random Saturday in the middle of summer as the "base day", and landed on Saturday, July 14th.

Quote Originally Posted by »PW View Post
    To me, the margin between the number of major attractions and rides at the Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World Resort remains surprisingly slim.
    There we go, that is exactly my point. The margin is surprisingly slim.

If Walt Disney World is so much bigger! than Disneyland, how come they've only come up with 10 more rides? And if there are twice as many theme parks out there, and those parks are so much bigger! and with so much land and infrastructure to work with, why aren't there at least double the number of parades and night spectaculars at Disney World?

When I listed 'em all out and compared them side to side, it was just very surprising how the numbers panned out.

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Here's another thing to consider. You can ride MORE rides in 1 solid day at the Disneyland resort than you can EVER do at WDW. Disneyland vs any other park wins... but even if you were to park hop, DCA is right across the way. Park hopping at WDW takes up so much time.
    Yes, you are very right. We decided not to park hop at WDW for this reason. Also, if you are trying to collect FPs it really works against you to park hop.

At DLR we get the full benefit of DL's park hours when visiting DLR, because if we are at DCA in the evening we just hop to DL after DCA closes. So every day we get the full hours of DL to visit DLR. At WDW, MK usually stays open later, but the other parks close a few hours earlier. But once those parks close, and you take the time to hop to MK, you have almost no time left - plus no FPs.

When I went over our trip reports, I found that we spent 11-12 hours per day inside one of the DLR parks, but only 6-8 hours per day inside the WDW parks. Part of this was extra time for transportation. Part was also due to weather (we went early June and it was hot and humid as expected). And part was due to the shorter park hours. In fact, when counting up how many rides we went on, over ten days at WDW we went on about the same number of rides as we did in four days at DLR. But we saw twice as many shows.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Originally Posted by davewasbaloo
    Plus add in California weather, easy reach of Mountains, Desert and beaches, DL is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Thank you! When friends and family come for a visit I always encourage them to do all these things -- especially the beach -- in addition to their Disney visit.
    Nice selective application. In that same regard you should apply WDW's locality to beachs (both tropical warmth and ocean ones), camping in actual forrests, the everglades, water sports, and the mecca of other themed attractions that is the greater central florida area.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by TP2000 View Post
    Italy, Germany, Japan, Morroco, United Kingdom are all countries that have no designated "attraction" there. Fun to wander past or peek into the shop on your way to Maelstrom, but I just didn't know how to say that the Italian Alfredo restaurant and the adjacent purse store was an "attraction".
    Attraction != ride

That is your problem. If Disney resorts were just RIDES, why bother having anything else but just the rides in a big blacktop area?

What distinquishes Disney from regular theme parks? Its the ATTRACTIONS. Focusing just on just Ride-systems totally defeats what a Disney park is.

You would think since the Florida property is so much bigger! than Disneyland that it would have had at least double the number of rides. But it doesn't, and the margin between the two is quite slim with the Anaheim property seemingly on a more aggresive campaign to add even more rides, shows and attractions in the next three or four years.

Or you could look at it on the flip side and say 'Wow.. DL is cramped and crowded!'. You don't hear all the complaining about crowded walkways or impossible crowd control at the Florida resort like you do from DLR fans. Or in that same regard you could ask where is the space to have things that just add to the environment, without having to have a ride system in it? Where are the massive water fireworks shows in DLR? etc etc. If anything I think this type of 'counting' would elude to how cramped the DLR property is and begs to ask where's all the inbetween there?

• Pilot EdForceOne

Geez, that's just as surprising to me as the ride count numbers were. Even setting aside the issue of the artistic merits of offerings like MGM's Fantasmic! or the Stars And Motor Cars Parade, the raw numbers are surprising.

When DCA gets the new lagoon show in '08, the numbers are basically a dead match.
    Not sure what schedule you are going by.. but you quote the DLR stuff happening at all its multiple times and the WDW stuff not. Many of those WDW parades and shows DO have multiple shows depending on the season.. same as DLR does.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Here's another thing to consider. You can ride MORE rides in 1 solid day at the Disneyland resort than you can EVER do at WDW.
    Try doing things besides just RIDES and you'll find yourself begging for more time. You can't even do everything in WDW in a week, and that's not due to park hopping time! And that doesn't even scratch the surface of all the activities outside the theme parks. Water Sports, Wilderness Activities, the water parks (which are a day each), dining, wandering, etc.

• Pilot EdForceOne

why aren't there at least double the number of parades and night spectaculars at Disney World?
    Aren't the fireworks at DLR only seasonal and even then only certain times?

• Pilot EdForceOne

Summer isn't a peak season for WDW?
    Summer is busy, but not the busiest season due to weather. Easter, Christmas, and other portions of the school-off season are the busy times.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast