Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Re: Surprising Ride Count: Disneyland vs. Disney World

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Not sure what schedule you are going by.. but you quote the DLR stuff happening at all its multiple times and the WDW stuff not. Many of those WDW parades and shows DO have multiple shows depending on the season.. same as DLR does.
    I just picked a Saturday in the middle of summer as the comparison day. All information for all parks was taken based on Saturday, July 14th, 2007. The disney.com website already has the schedules up through August '07.

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Quote Originally Posted by TP2000 View Post
    Summer isn't a peak season for WDW? Really? I used the official disney.com website for Walt Disney World and picked Saturday, July 14th as the "average" day. That day MGM is scheduled to be open from 9:00am to 10:00pm with one scheduled showing of Fantasmic! at 9:00pm.
    July is busy, but it is not peak the way Spring break is. If you look at WDW hotel rates, its seasonal rate is average. Feb-Apr is peak and Christmas is the highest rate of all. At DLR summer is definitely peak season. I was just saying that at WDW it is not considered peak season the same way as at DLR.

Also, I see how the attractions/shows can get confusing and understand better your method of counting. But these should still be counted as shows when doing an apples comparison. Some attractions/shows, like the two MGM stunt shows, are harder to decide.

Aren't the fireworks at DLR only seasonal and even then only certain times?
    They do them year round now, with many months of the year going to a seven night a week fireworks operation. That changed with the beginning of the 45th anniversary in February, 2000. Since then they now perform fireworks shows year round on weekends, and nightly during summer, April, and from early November through early January for the Christmas season.

• Pilot EdForceOne

They do them year round now, with many months of the year going to a seven night a week fireworks operation. That changed with the beginning of the 45th anniversary in February, 2000. Since then they now perform fireworks shows year round on weekends, and nightly during summer, April, and from early November through early January for the Christmas season.
    Compared to 2 major shows nightly 7 days a week at WDW with repeat performances during peak times.

Compared to 2 major shows nightly 7 days a week at WDW with repeat performances during peak times.
    They do the Wishes fireworks twice per night at the Magic Kingdom? Really? When does that happen? I can't find it listed on the disney.com website.

• Minion

They do the Wishes fireworks twice per night at the Magic Kingdom? Really? When does that happen? I can't find it listed on the disney.com website.
    I've never seen them do Wishes or IllumiNations twice in one day, and I visited during peak season. Based on my knowledge, Disney has never done a fireworks show more than once in one night.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Try doing things besides just RIDES and you'll find yourself begging for more time. You can't even do everything in WDW in a week, and that's not due to park hopping time! And that doesn't even scratch the surface of all the activities outside the theme parks. Water Sports, Wilderness Activities, the water parks (which are a day each), dining, wandering, etc.

Sorry, I love rides. I know WDW has a lot more to offer, but the truth still stands that WDW could offer much more than they do now.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Sorry, I love rides. I know WDW has a lot more to offer, but the truth still stands that WDW could offer much more than they do now.
    Only because you only focus on one element of the trip. If this is all you are going to focus on, I recommend a trip to Cedar Point, rather then Disney.

The resorts.. the dining.. the sights.. the tours.. the attractions.

If you goto WDW and in a week you think you've experienced it all.. you are sadly mistaken.

Try scuba diving.. or wandering through the animal exhibits.. or camping.. or lying on the beach.. or going down a water slide at 70mph.. or playing a few rounds of golf.. or experiencing a pool with a 'quicksand' bottom.. or strolling the boardwalk.. or seeing a comedy show.. or riding a monorail that actually goes some where.. or taking a ride a paddle boat not stuck on rails.. or go for a ride in a NASCAR car.. none of that is included in saw a flawed count as seen in this thread.

Why is WDW so big? Because its does more then what you fit into a theme park. Crap.. WDW probably has more GOLF course acrage then DLR has all together.

If none of this appeals to you, and you'd rather run queue to queue to get on the next ride, then yes, please stick to DLR and don't goto WDW. I suggest Universal and Cedar Point for your long distance trips.

• MiceChat Moderator

Only because you only focus on one element of the trip. If this is all you are going to focus on, I recommend a trip to Cedar Point, rather then Disney.

The resorts.. the dining.. the sights.. the tours.. the attractions.

If you goto WDW and in a week you think you've experienced it all.. you are sadly mistaken.

Try scuba diving.. or wandering through the animal exhibits.. or camping.. or lying on the beach.. or going down a water slide at 70mph.. or playing a few rounds of golf.. or experiencing a pool with a 'quicksand' bottom.. or strolling the boardwalk.. or seeing a comedy show.. or riding a monorail that actually goes some where.. or taking a ride a paddle boat not stuck on rails.. or go for a ride in a NASCAR car.. none of that is included in saw a flawed count as seen in this thread.

Why is WDW so big? Because its does more then what you fit into a theme park. Crap.. WDW probably has more GOLF course acrage then DLR has all together.

If none of this appeals to you, and you'd rather run queue to queue to get on the next ride, then yes, please stick to DLR and don't goto WDW. I suggest Universal and Cedar Point for your long distance trips.

Only because you focus on ONE thing that I say...

Thanks for the suggestion to Cedar Point, but do I need to clarify further? I love DISNEY rides. There. I said it. Six Flags Magic Mountain has a ton of new roller coasters that I haven't ridden on - but I don't care because the theming is nonexistent.

If you think you know me, guess again. I don't go on ride after ride just to add it to my list. I don't run through the park trying to break a record. I take pictures, I stop and watch the shows and parades, I waited in line a full hour for Splash Mountain just so I can see the differences, I went through EVERY animal walk-through trail (and I emphasize WALK.. not run) and saw the shows at Animal Kingdom.. and the park closed at 5pm. I enjoy my time while at the Disney parks.

Is it a crime for me to wish that WDW had a TON more attractions than Disneyland though? I don't think it's unreasonable to ask that. So please... no need to beat it into my head that I have to do this and I have to do that. I know that they're there and I'll get to them when I have more time.

• Progressive Disneylander

But DL has extra showings of Fantasmic and a petting farm while everything in DW is broken down and neglected -- don't you see??

Just kidding. I totally agree with you Flynnibus. The DL fans have one arguement and it's all about attractions. And for their case, they have a great selection stuffed into just two parks. But there is a very good reason why so many less people/families do not take week-long vacations to DL -- because there'd be nothing new to do after 3 days!!

Personally, I like the DL resort just a split-hair bit better than DW for my own reasons, but some (not all) the defenses I have read in this thread to boost up DL and put down DW have bordered on kooky.

DW is a far superior resort in my mind. All of the extra stuff down there does count for something.

I love each of the resorts equally and differently, but my current fondness lies ever-so-slightly with DL. Still, that doesn't mean that I have to twist the facts, downgrade the significance of things, or flat-out ignore the existence of things in DW to feel as I do about DL.

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by KISSman View Post
    Still, that doesn't mean that I have to twist the facts, downgrade the significance of things, or flat-out ignore the existence of things in DW to feel as I do about DL.
    Who's twisting facts?

• Solar Flare Foamer

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States

World is much larger because it houses more then just the typical Disneyland attractions. It's more then that. It's why the atmosphere there is different from the atmosphere in Cali. There are far more tourist in Orlando and far fewer locals who are Disney aficionados. The nature of the two parks is different. Ride for ride, attraction for attraction, they would no doubt come close simply for the fact that each park has always either had a duplicate or compliment to an existing attraction. It's not that surprising their the neck and neck because that's been par for the course since the beginning.

What really makes World different is the aforementioned alternatives to standard attractions. For World, more space didn't just translate into more attractions, it translated into different kinds of vacationing experience. I don't think they ever planned on making Orlando's park Super Disneyland. I think it was always the intention to just be Land's bigger brother.

• Progressive Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Who's twisting facts?
    It wasn't indirectly directed at your last post if that's what you thought -- don't worry. After reading two threads about this today, there have certainly been things that have fit into all three categories.

On a side note, your icon is my favorite on MiceChat, Coheteboy.

• MiceChat Moderator

It wasn't indirectly directed at your last post if that's what you thought -- don't worry. After reading two threads about this today, there have certainly been things that have fit into all three categories.

On a side note, your icon is my favorite on MiceChat, Coheteboy.

Hehe, thanks for the comment on the icon! But I really was curious on the twisting of facts. I must have missed it when skimming through late last night after a day at disneyland.

The DL fans have one arguement and it's all about attractions.
    I don't think that is the only argument. The weather and climate comes up a lot. The customer and Cast Member demographics of the two places comes up regularly too. There's also been recent open debate about the quality of park entertainment and Disney face characters at Disney World compared to Disneyland.

But for this specific thread, the "one argument" is about the number of rides at each property. I should know, since I'm the original poster and started the whole thing.

Now, if you want to get into overall quality and experience and showmanship and pride in the product, there is a Disney property that is clearly the top dog. And that property is Tokyo Disney Resort. My first trip there in late '05 left me slack-jawed in amazement. I cancelled plans to visit Disney World again the next year. I just could no longer accept the lowered standards, sloppy Cast Members, and inferior operation of the Florida property after I experienced how they do things in Tokyo. Only people who have been there would understand.

Quite frankly, I'm not all that thrilled with Anaheim after my first visit to Tokyo either. But Disneyland is just 20 minutes from my house and it satisfies my Disney interest until my next trip to Tokyo. But buy a plane ticket to Orlando and shell out money to stay in a nice hotel for a week to have a Disney experience? It'll likely be a long time until I do that again. The one thing that would have had me return in '07 was a big 25th Anniversary Celebration at Epcot, but oddly that's not in the cards, so Orlando is off my To Do List for now.

Instead I'll return to Tokyo, where standards are still extremely high, showmanship is at a level unseen in North America, and front line Cast Members perform their duties with an immaculate presentation and a gracious service style you only see in expensive hotels and restaurants here in America.

As for the topic of this thread, the main subject matter still hasn't changed. Disneyland Resort has 69 attractions and Disney World has 79.
    Last edited by TP2000; 02-19-2007 at 01:46 AM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast