Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 94
  1. #76

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,433

    Re: Surprising Ride Count: Disneyland vs. Disney World

    Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    By my logic? By my logic I don't golf at WDW because it's not where my interests lie. If you're interested in going on a cruise line, DO it.
    That's not what you said at all. In fact you said "but everything else isn't as "disney" as a Disney theme park. Playing a round of golf there might be really cool... but is my experience going to be that much better than another high-end golf course somewhere else? In the end, probably not"

    You discounted these elements because they seemingly in your eyes are not as 'disney' and probably not much better then a non-Disney version. You said it verbatim!

    Rides = attractions. The castle in Disneyland USED to be an attraction walk-through as well. It's a shame that it no longer serves as an attraction and an icon.
    So why not call the castle in MK an attraction because it has it's mosaics? And rides != attractions. Is main street not an attraction in its own right? If not, why does it even exist. We can just throw all that stuff out and just keep the rides! Oh wait.. then you get Six Flags!

    And why are these attractions dead I wonder? Because there aren't enough other attractions for guests to visit... so they go and visit the same old ones over and over and get SICK of them.
    Most of them died because they SUCKED. It had nothing to do with being bored of them. Just because a ride opens, doesn't mean it will be successful or should be there forever. Most of those attractions were not even that old. They just sucked so bad they got yanked.

  2. #77

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,433

    Re: Surprising Ride Count: Disneyland vs. Disney World

    Quote Originally Posted by TP2000 View Post
    Rides, attractions, same thing. My original list in the very first post had several attractions that are not "rides" in that they don't use a vehicle transportation system to present their experience to the guest.

    I guess you could get very technical and break it into two categories; attractions that use ride vehicles as part of the experience, and attractions that don't use ride vehicles. But then is the moving floor in Honey I Shrunk The Audience a vehicle? Is Muppetvision not an attraction because it doesn't use a ride vehicle? I counted that attraction in my list for both properties, even though experiencing MuppetVision doesn't involve boarding a moving vehicle.
    I was trying to make the distinction because just because you don't have a ride, doesn't make something not an attraction in it's own right. Was Swiss Family Tree House a ride? No, but its an attraction. Are the animal areas of DAK a ride? No, but they are an attraction.. something you go to see and experience.

    My point was focusing on rides alone totally skips over the attraction portion of Disney theme parks. Things like the butterfly gardens in EPCOT aren't a ride, but they are something people should experience. Focusing on rides alone and then drawing conclusions about use of space is flawed because it completely ignores this other critical portion of Disney theme parks. I understand a ride count, but don't draw conclusions on space and why counts are XYZ without looking at the entire picture.

  3. #78

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,204

    Re: Surprising Ride Count: Disneyland vs. Disney World

    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    That's not what you said at all. In fact you said "but everything else isn't as "disney" as a Disney theme park. Playing a round of golf there might be really cool... but is my experience going to be that much better than another high-end golf course somewhere else? In the end, probably not"

    You discounted these elements because they seemingly in your eyes are not as 'disney' and probably not much better then a non-Disney version. You said it verbatim!
    OMG who cares??? I can golf anywhere in the world. But I can't go to EPCOT anywhere in the world. I can't go to Animal Kingdom anywhere in the world.

    (And yes, I'm stubborn enough to continue this nonsensical back and forth. But I will stop, I promise.)



    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    So why not call the castle in MK an attraction because it has it's mosaics? And rides != attractions. Is main street not an attraction in its own right? If not, why does it even exist. We can just throw all that stuff out and just keep the rides! Oh wait.. then you get Six Flags!
    If the MK castle is an attraction to you, then more power to ya. To me though, it's a fantastic visual piece of architecture that I expect from all Disneyland inspired theme parks. It's expected. It has to be there. If there was a ride within, or a restaurant within... well that's just bonus. It serves more than one purpose then.

    I told you several times... I don't go to Six Flags because it lacks any themeing whatsoever. Why you continue to bring this up and try to argue something boggles my mind.

    We go to these parks because the environments are so incredible. The details are supposed to be part of the overall experience. They add to the experience. They add to the attractions. They support the attractions. I'm not, however, going to count every detail and every bit of "extra mile" that the imagineers have done and count it as an attraction. That wouldn't be any fun at all... and frankly, this conversation is kinda like that. I have an opinion; and that is that Magic Kingdom needs more unique attractions to make it an equal and or better counterpart to its older and smaller sized sister.

    If you disagree and would rather play golf in your spare time, that's entirely your decision and I'd be completely happy as long as you are.


    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Most of them died because they SUCKED. It had nothing to do with being bored of them. Just because a ride opens, doesn't mean it will be successful or should be there forever. Most of those attractions were not even that old. They just sucked so bad they got yanked.
    Well yah, that is true. You've made my point then. MK needs some GOOD solid attractions so they don't have to waste any more money replacing them with something equally bad or worse.

    I want what's best for the MK. That's all. If you think I'm wrong and that a patch of empty grass is a good replacement over 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea... then well... we'll just have to agree to disagree.


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

  4. #79

    • Progressive Disneylander
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    1,240

    Re: Surprising Ride Count: Disneyland vs. Disney World

    I think we all need to agree that DW is the superior resort and end this thread already.

  5. #80

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Villa Park, CA
    Posts
    919

    Re: Surprising Ride Count: Disneyland vs. Disney World

    Quote Originally Posted by KISSman View Post
    I think we all need to agree that DW is the superior resort and end this thread already.
    I'm afraid I disagree with you. Tokyo Disney Resort is clearly the superior Disney resort. It's tough for me as a patriotic American to admit that, but it's true.

  6. #81

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,291

    Re: Surprising Ride Count: Disneyland vs. Disney World

    Quote Originally Posted by TP2000 View Post
    I'm afraid I disagree with you. Tokyo Disney Resort is clearly the superior Disney resort. It's tough for me as a patriotic American to admit that, but it's true.
    I full heartedly agree. Coming from someone who's been going to Disneyland and Walt Disney World their whole life, I can say, without hesitation, that Tokyo clearly trumps every other Disney resort in almost every category. They have the best service, best maintenance, best attractions, best restaurants, best second gate, best Disney hotel, plus a fully realized Magic Kingdom.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~


  7. #82

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Villa Park, CA
    Posts
    919

    Re: Surprising Ride Count: Disneyland vs. Disney World

    Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    I full heartedly agree. Coming from someone who's been going to Disneyland and Walt Disney World their whole life, I can say, without hesitation, that Tokyo clearly trumps every other Disney resort in almost every category. They have the best service, best maintenance, best attractions, best restaurants, best second gate, best Disney hotel, plus a fully realized Magic Kingdom.
    You forgot to mention Tokyo also has the best run, most efficient, and best maintained Resort Monorail System.

    I had more pleasant interactions with Tokyo CM's, even though their English was sometimes not great, than any other Disney property anywhere. They almost literally trip over themselves to make your experience in their specific work location as pleasant and worthwhile as possible. It's simply jaw-droppingly amazing to experience as a customer!

    And finally, Tokyo Disneyland also has the best Hilton Hotel near the Monorail station, with the most stylish bar off the lobby, with the best bartender that makes a mean Gimlet and who recognizes you and calls you by name the second night you go in there after hitting the parks. On our third and final night, that Hilton bartender was treating me like the King of England.

  8. #83

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Paris, France / Los Angeles
    Posts
    38,884
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Surprising Ride Count: Disneyland vs. Disney World

    AGGGHHHH once again another thread devolves into TOKYO is so much better than either DL or DW. Was that the topic's premise? Or were they comparing the two US properties with EACH OTHER.

    I like Disneyland Paris a lot, anybody else like Hong Kong the best ? ? ?

  9. #84

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    636

    Re: Surprising Ride Count: Disneyland vs. Disney World

    Quote Originally Posted by KISSman View Post
    I think we all need to agree that DW is the superior resort and end this thread already.
    I don't know if it's sarcasm or not but I have a better idea.

    Why don't we all decide which resort we like best, not keep arguing that ours is the best and end this thread already.

  10. #85

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Paris, France / Los Angeles
    Posts
    38,884
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Surprising Ride Count: Disneyland vs. Disney World

    I swear someone on MiceChat gets paid a quarter every time Tokyo DisneySea is mentioned in a thread.

  11. #86

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Villa Park, CA
    Posts
    919

    Re: Surprising Ride Count: Disneyland vs. Disney World

    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    AGGGHHHH once again another thread devolves into TOKYO is so much better than either DL or DW. Was that the topic's premise? Or were they comparing the two US properties with EACH OTHER.

    I like Disneyland Paris a lot, anybody else like Hong Kong the best ? ? ?
    I take it you've never been to Tokyo Disney Resort?

    I've only been once, about a year ago. I'll never again be able to accept the dramatically lowered standards of American Disney parks ever again. I'm going back to Tokyo in October, after cancelling a planned trip to WDW I was going to take in '06. After Tokyo, I could not in good conscience spend my hard earned vacation dollars for lowered standards, cheapened experiences, and sloppy CM's.

    I still visit Disneyland, because I live 20 minutes away and its a fun afternoon. But Tokyo has ruined me forever, and barely a visit to Disneyland goes by where I see some shleppy, punky kid CM doing something dumb or being obnoxious or obviously not caring and I think "You'd never see that in Tokyo! How many days until my next Japan trip?"

  12. #87

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Paris, France / Los Angeles
    Posts
    38,884
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Surprising Ride Count: Disneyland vs. Disney World

    No - but I don't even want to go anymore. I'm sick of hearing about it. I've been to all the other parks outside of Asia, but Japan and Hong Kong seem a little out of the way to go on a Disney vacation when the mother ship is 45 min from my house. Some day, when I have run out of other things I want to spend money on, I'll go.

  13. #88

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Paris, France / Los Angeles
    Posts
    38,884
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Surprising Ride Count: Disneyland vs. Disney World

    Cue that 80s song: "I think I'm turning Japanese..."

  14. #89

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Buckeyeville
    Posts
    15

    Re: Surprising Ride Count: Disneyland vs. Disney World

    Let me say this I was born and raised in Sandusky ,Ohio. So Cedar Point is in my blood and so are Roller Coasters. But I am also a Disney nut, and so is theming.
    Due to living on the east coat I have been to WDW 3 times all about 5 years apart, and each trip it has slipped more and more down my list. Last summer I went to DL for the first time and was blown away. First its not as small as people say it is, the walkways while small work and help the theme and feel, way more important at a "theme" park. Second almost all the headline rides are lightyears better than there Florida counterparts. The tainted treehouse does bothers me no end, but the matterhorn makes up for it. And considering the state of the CBJ in Florida these days I doubt I could stomach to watch it without spending the rest of the day trying to complain to someone about it.

    And just by looking at pics I can tell that Tokyo improves on all these things, and we are bitter and mention DisneySea alot because it was meant for us in the first place, then Eisner had to go and overbuild DLP, and then screw over WED neutring them forever on these shores (although JL looks to be changing that perhaps). Plus how many normal yanks know it even exist?

    and for all those who love theme and rides equally, and good food (thats cheap), and good service I highly suggest Bush Gardens Europe, my third favourite park.

    back to this thread, the number of attractions has always been the discussion, and if you where to ask even the most die hard park fanatics the number I am sure they would be way off. Second I look DL currently and look at its direction and smile. with Subs back and DCA being fixed, bring back the CBJ and Tommorland and fix the CM problem is about all you have to do. WDW on the other hand is slipping, and not in the right direction. The word is potential, DL potential is near maxed, and it shows. WDW potential is simply astounding if you think about it. But alas they keep slipping and lots of my family vow to spend less and less time there.
    Last edited by Sharpel007; 02-23-2007 at 10:13 PM.

  15. #90

    • Progressive Disneylander
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    1,240

    Re: Surprising Ride Count: Disneyland vs. Disney World

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathius View Post
    I don't know if it's sarcasm or not but I have a better idea.

    Why don't we all decide which resort we like best, not keep arguing that ours is the best and end this thread already.
    Well, I personally felt that way about DW (even though I like DL slightly better), but not that we should actually all agree that it's the best (even though it is ).

    Honestly, I just don't think anyone can ever prove their point because there is too much opinion and personal experience involved. Even the 'facts' involved can be skewed!

    For example, the attraction count and what counts for something is arguable depending on what side you are in support of. The facts are that all these things (rides, shows, parades, hotels, extra activities, etc.) all exist at the two resorts, but what actually gets counted for something (or not) is where it all gets hairy.

    Quality is also somewhat based on opinion.

    Anyhow, since no one can truly be proven 'right' or 'wrong' of which resort is better, well, then nothing can be unanimously agreed upon within this thread.

    When I see this topic rise from the ashes, I cringe because of strong, differing feelings that this subject can evoke.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Question] Ride Posters for Sale at World of Disney
    By Extravabonanza in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 10-05-2008, 10:40 PM
  2. Disney World to add new safety features after employee dies on ride.
    By OogieBoogie in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-06-2008, 05:12 PM
  3. This Just In.. Disney Has Announced A New Ride for Disney World!!!
    By OogieBoogie in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-01-2007, 10:21 AM
  4. Surprising things your non-Disney significant other says about Disney.
    By Olympicnut in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-22-2007, 10:45 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-13-2005, 06:24 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •