Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Minion

Re: Improving the FastPass System

Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa3467 View Post
    Something else I forgot to mention: get rid of the networked vs. non-networked machines nonsense. Network 'em all. Do the die-hard visitors really need another loophole to abuse?

Tying FastPass return times to Stand By wait times sounds good in theory, but in practice, it wouldn't really work. If you were to maintain the FastPass to Stand By ratio, there would be points throughout the day where you'd have to stop issuing FastPasses.

One thing Disney could do as a step towards improving the system would be to collect more detailed data on FastPass usage, as in how far into the window people use them, what percentage of people return, etc. Data collection could be done with a laptop and a barcode scanner at Merge. FastPasses have a barcode with I believe your ticket number on them, and surely they can use that barcode to pull up what FastPass return time you were assigned.
    My guess is that Disney has studied the fastpass issues quiet carefully and come up with a system that makes a far from perfect system relatively effective and satisfactory to the vast majority who choose to use it without greatly offending the majority who don't.

Or they would have changed it.

And if you'd ever worked a merge point or even a very busy attraction you'd know how difficult that bar-code scanning idea would be for very little gain to the system.

And people don't come to the parks to be so regulated and monitored even if it's only a perception.

I suppose they could also time stamp them using a good ol' fashioned time clock, and enter the usage data later... It was just an idea I threw out as a possible means of data collection. As it is, you know what percentage of Guests with FastPasses return, but not when they return. Having that could be useful in determining how many people are abusing the system and returning late.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TomorrowlandTourist View Post
    If Disney were to make FastPass more of a privelege by attaching a fee to it or providing it for hotel guests, as other posters have mentioned, it would drive down the amount of people using it. Universal and Six Flags both maintain this approach, and they do not have a constant flow of guests using the service.

This seems like a home run to me, because it doesn't significantly alter the stand-by wait times, and only a small percentage of the guests are using it, eliminating the "crowded walkway theory."

Pragmatic's idea of eliminating stand-by queues on FastPass attractions is interesting. I think we can all agree that on retrofitted FastPass attractions, the line configurations are awkward, and can eliminate the mood created in some of the detailed lines like Indiana Jones and Roger Rabbit.
    Probably would work as would many price-based rationing systems in all kinds of economic endeavors.

However, it would divide the guest population into privileged and unprivileged classes based upon their economic resources.

If the premium cost were relatively low many people would purchase it and it would have not much effect. If the price were relatively high to minimize the fastpass-usage level than the class effect would be exacerbated.

I don't think Disney wants the class-oriented system on a per-visit basis. Guests should be relatively equal and treated the same, at least in terms of opportunity, once they are in the park though that obviously has severe limitations when it comes to buying things once in the park - both food and merchandise.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    I would like to see more strategically-placed ticket dispensers at, for example, Central Plaza and the entrances to the realms of Disneyland.
    Would work and definitely be a convenience especially for many who have movement/energy limitations.

But I think it would also lead to fastpass abuse. People would get more fastpasses that they wouldn't end up using which would hurt the times-spaced allocation algorithms behind it.

Make people spend to little for something - though in this case only time and effort, not money - and they don't value it as much and tend to abuse it.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I really dislike the idea of having a pay per view fast pass system. How would it work for AP? $500 for premium with unlimited fastpasses? It just has too many aspects to make it fair. Remember the idea behind Fastpass is to hold your place in line. While it's not perfect it works for a lot of people.

Without fastpass, I wouldn't ride SplashMountain in the summer. 90-120 minute waits just isn't worth it to me. I know without fastpasses the regular line wouldn't be as long, but it would still be a very long wait.

Fix the system if you think it's broke, I personally don't. But please don't copy lesser parks by creating a VIP ticket. How some people act at Disneyland, they already think they are VIPs without a card saying so.

Chad

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Quote Originally Posted by Professortango View Post
    I would do what the other parks do, make it a privledge, not a right. Universal and Magic Mountain charge extra for Fast Pass-like dealies. This would cut down on the number of people using it, get rid of the need for the machines and clocks, and would reserve the privledge for those who really need/want it, not casual users.
    I think this would be a mistake for Disney. It bothers me that they have this at Universal.

Quote Originally Posted by Professortango View Post
    I think some of the other parks also limit the number of uses, like 4 attractions per day to avoid people just re-riding the same attraction over and over with their fast pass.
    If they were given for free - as part of the ticket purchase - this might work.

While charging for the FastPass service is, in itself, not a good idea, as I've advocated in the past, making pay-per-play options for FastPass attractions available to guests would discourage overutilization of the most popular and lowest-capacity attractions. And, this phenomenon would indirectly limit the way FastPass taxes Disney's other facilities.

The FastPass infrastructure is already there, so Disney could offer such pay-per-play options fairly easily by allowing people to use their admission media to either deduct previously-purchased credits from an associated account or for said guests to charge their use of an attraction to a credit-card or a hotel-room account.

People paying less for admission to Disneyland would be charged a la carte for attractions that offer FastPass.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Why not just return to A - E tickets?

Attractions that tend to have super long lines...charge more for, thus eliminating some of the repeat riders which would shorten the lines a bit.

This is how Walt did it and many parks around the country still do it.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Minion

While charging for the FastPass service is, in itself, not a good idea, as I've advocated in the past, making pay-per-play options for FastPass attractions available to guests would discourage overutilization of the most popular and lowest-capacity attractions. And, this phenomenon would indirectly limit the way FastPass taxes Disney's other facilities.

The FastPass infrastructure is already there, so Disney could offer such pay-per-play options fairly easily by allowing people to use their admission media to either deduct previously-purchased credits from an associated account or for said guests to charge their use of an attraction to a credit-card or a hotel-room account.

People paying less for admission to Disneyland would be charged a la carte for attractions that offer FastPass.
    The fastpass machines are sometimes notoriously unreliable and finicky which is made worse by people not knowing about the spacing rules or trying to use the wrong passport (from a group).

Add a real-dollar cost to those glitches and you have the potential for some really annoyed and frustrated guests and a lot of time and work for cast members to make things right and/or mollify people.

In a more perfect world, perhaps, but not sure it's worth trying to perfect this one.

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Regarding the enforcement of FP windows...

The whole system would work better if FPs were distributed centrally. A person could then see all of the curent standby wait times (at least for the FP rides), and see all of the FP return windows, and then choose which one they wanted to get.

When a FP window is strictly enforced, and the FPs are distributed at the attraction locations, you have people wandering over to Space Mtn only to find out the FP window is 12PM-1PM which conflicts with their lunch. So they elect to not get a FP.

A little while later they wander over to Splash Mtn to find out the return window is 3PM-4PM, which conflicts with their plans to watch the Parade of Dreams.

When you have to actually go to the attraction to find out the window, this can eat up a lot of time and negate the benefits of saved time in line. A centrally located distribution area (or areas) coupled with an enforced FP window would be fair and actually save people time.

How about this? Place a line of Interactive Fast Pass touchsreens somewhere before you get to the hub. These machines would be able to access all rides. The guest inserts all the passports of his party. The screen directs the guests to select the rides and attractions they want, along with the ability to block out ride times for scheduled breaks, meals, whatever. Then the computer displays a suggested itinerary, along with the available Fast Pass times for each attraction. If the guest doesn't like an item, he can strike it right there or select something else.
    Once the guest, or group as the case may be, agree on that "itinerary," an ATM-like receipt is printed for those passports, and you go on your way and build your day around it.
    There would be no need to visit the ride location twice, once to get the FP and then again to ride the attraction; so you don't have to double your footwork. It would change the philosophy of only one FP at a time per passport, but so what?
    I would love the idea to know I can show up at the rides I want to hit that day, plan lunch or dinner or a show accordingly, and not have to scamper all over the park getting fast passes and then have to figure out what I'm going to do until I have to return to that very spot later.

Nothing is perfect. If a ride goes down, it will throw off your itinerary. But an accommodation could be made. The guest could be given a return FP ticket, etc. But overall I like the idea.
    Last edited by MagicKingdomBoy; 02-18-2007 at 12:51 PM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post

Attractions that tend to have super long lines...charge more for, thus eliminating some of the repeat riders which would shorten the lines a bit.

Probably works and has the desired effect but not unless the price is high enough to discourage (over) utilization of the most popular rides.

And it's not clear how that fits in with the AP system and its high levels of usage at the Disney Resort.

Are you sure that repeat rides constitute a significant portion of the riders on busy days ? I doubt it; even the biggest fans aren't going to spend so much of their day waiting in lines for a few minutes of excitement. Yeah, it's abusive but I doubt it's a very significant component of the usage levels.

That would require the hotel charge card to be something slightly more substantial than a piece of paper with the Guest's name and signature on it, which I would definitely be in favor of. They should've at least put a barcode on the bloody things so I can scan the charge card rather than key in the numbers manually.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYardDog View Post
    Are you sure that repeat rides constitute a significant portion of the riders on busy days ? I doubt it; even the biggest fans aren't going to spend so much of their day waiting in lines for a few minutes of excitement. Yeah, it's abusive but I doubt it's a very significant component of the usage levels.
    Not just repeat riders for a given attraction but repeat riders for the most popular attractions....ie: If you had to spend, say $4.00 per E ticket would you only ride E tickets all day or would you break up the E ticket frenzy with a few $2.00 C ticks?
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post

But that's not how Angus did it, and people prefer Angus' way over Walt's.

I still think, with such a massive local population, it would be best to limit the use of FastPass on Annual Passholders. It would be a trade off. I know some Annual Passholders aren't locals and use them for one longer vacation. So maybe only the SoCal passes. If FastPass is being over run by frequent visitors who know all the ins and outs, leaving non-frequent visitors to wait, it makes sense to cut them out. Please don't take this as an anti-Annual Pass idea.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast