Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Minion

Re: Improving the FastPass System

Quote Originally Posted by MagicKingdomBoy View Post
    How about this? Place a line of Interactive Fast Pass touchsreens somewhere before you get to the hub. These machines would be able to access all rides. The guest inserts all the fast passes of his party. The screen directs the guests to select the rides and attractions they want, along with the ability to block out ride times for scheduled breaks, meals, whatever. Then the computer displays a suggested itinerary, along with the available Fast Pass times for each attraction. If the guest doesn't like an item, he can strike it right there or select something else.
    Once the guest, or group as the case may be, agree on that "itinerary," an ATM-like receipt is printed for those passports, and you go on your way and build your day around it.
    There would be no need to visit the ride location twice, once to get the FP and then again to ride the attraction; so you don't have to double your footwork. It would change the philosophy of only one FP at a time per passport, but so what?
    I would love the idea to know I can show up at the rides I want to hit that day, plan lunch or dinner or a show accordingly, and not have to scamper all over the park getting fast passes and then have to figure out what I'm going to do until I have to return to that very spot later.

Nothing is perfect. If a ride goes down, it will throw off your itinerary. But an accommodation could be made. The guest could be given a return FP ticket, etc. But overall I like the idea.
    How about the fastpasses that would be required to get expedited access to the issuing/scheduling machines, how and where would one get them ??

And then there would be the annoyed guests waiting in lines while some clueless guests - especially those with few or no computer skills - spent forever trying to deal with these systems. This would lead to congestion.
    And then what about machine or system failures under heavy loads. How annoyed would people be who has stood there waiting to use it.

And the number of CM's necessary to deal with all this ? Oh well, I guess they could be more Guest Control fodder later when the machines usage declined.

The current machines are simple and the system less than perfect. But at least it doesn't have the potential for creating as many problems and issues as it is supposed to solve.

How about the fastpasses that would be required to get expedited access to the issuing/scheduling machines, how and where would one get them ??
    Woops. At the beginning I used "fast passes" and meant they should insert their "passports." (I now corrected it.)
    It's an undertaking, but I think they could make reliable machines that would be easy for most people to use. If you're new to the park, the details could be explained in a brochure. And there could be a couple CM's on hand to assist customers. I've seen these type of machines at movie theaters lately. You order all your items on these cool touchscreens, insert your card, and it gives you a receipt to hand to the counter person.
    I think it could really help with crowd control, and again, it would be nice to have my ride times laid out up front so I could maximize my time on non-ride stuff.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Not just repeat riders for a given attraction but repeat riders for the most popular attractions....ie: If you had to spend, say $4.00 per E ticket would you only ride E tickets all day or would you break up the E ticket frenzy with a few $2.00 C ticks?
    Don't know about that. Probably varies quite a bit from person to person.

But it's hard to see how the system would work for such per-ride charges especially during the off-season at those prices. The resort might decide to go back to some weekday closures during the off season.

Lot's of people would think twice about going on a ride at the incremental cost on light days when the rides are just sitting there with low utilization levels and in turn they would then think twice about even coming to the park which impacts the food and merchandise sales.

Which still leaves the issue open about how this all integrates with the AP system and how it would affect all-over resort attendance and revenue.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by me

Maybe just give everyone 1 fast pass for every $10.00 their ticket cost.

IE: You buy a $200.00(?) AP, you get 20 fps for the year.
    For a one day hopper.....5 tickets for the day.
    and so forth.
    The more I think about it the more I like this idea.

It would help discourage over use of the AP.

It would eliminate the need to go to the attractions ahead of time to obtain fps...in fact it would even limit the number of FPs to a degree which may make the standby lines a little shorter.

It would help people who wanted to plan things out in advance because they would know how many fps they would have in advance of even going.

It would help people who didn't want to plan in advance because they could just take things as they come and if they encounted an especially long line they could just use one of their fps that they got before even entering the park.

It would eliminate any unfair advantages some fp users have over others...while still preserving the main funtion of the fp.
    Last edited by sleepyjeff; 02-18-2007 at 01:20 PM.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYardDog View Post
    Which still leaves the issue open about how this all integrates with the AP system and how it would affect all-over resort attendance and revenue.
    Perhaps lower the cost of the AP(and even the day passes for that matter) to offset the addl. cost of tickets.

Maybe even include a certain number of tickets with the purchase of an AP.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    But that's not how Angus did it, and people prefer Angus' way over Walt's.

I still think, with such a massive local population, it would be best to limit the use of FastPass on Annual Passholders. It would be a trade off. I know some Annual Passholders aren't locals and use them for one longer vacation. So maybe only the SoCal passes. If FastPass is being over run by frequent visitors who know all the ins and outs, leaving non-frequent visitors to wait, it makes sense to cut them out. Please don't take this as an anti-Annual Pass idea.
    Probably workable.

But it does have the effect of dividing the guests into classes once in the park, whatever one thinks about that.

And the fact is that the Socal passes are not a significant problem because of the fact that they busiest days are blocked out for them so the solution doesn't really solve the problem.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

and so forth.
    Ooooo. I like. The downside would be multiday visitors. But that would probably fit very neatly inside current riding trends.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MagicKingdomBoy View Post
    Woops. At the beginning I used "fast passes" and meant they should insert their "passports." (I now corrected it.)
    It's an undertaking, but I think they could make reliable machines that would be easy for most people to use. If you're new to the park, the details could be explained in a brochure. And there could be a couple CM's on hand to assist customers. I've seen these type of machines at movie theaters lately. You order all your items on these cool touchscreens, insert your card, and it gives you a receipt to hand to the counter person.
    I think it could really help with crowd control, and again, it would be nice to have my ride times laid out up front so I could maximize my time on non-ride stuff.
    The problem wasn't with your words, it was the idea; I knew you meant passport. You're asking people to wait to get access to machines that would enable them to get access to the fastpass system. What happens when the 'wait times' to get access to them becomes a factor in guest satisfaction ? Aren't they going to want fastpass lines for them also ?

And I think you overestimate the reliability and usability of such machines when heavily used in an environment such as DL or DCA on busy days, exposure to the elements, a diverse (skillwise) population of potential users with people waiting inline behind them, and the Cast members required to manage and regulate all this.

Probably wouldn't be so 'cool' with the potential for lots of kinds of problems.

As an example, just look at how the lines at Taste Pilots' Grill flow. I can get through the ordering system pretty quickly, but I'm well versed in how POS systems work. Others who aren't as computer savvy and don't have much in the way of order entry experience are slower and more often require Cast Member assistance.

And I think you overestimate the reliability and usability of such machines when heavily used in an environment such as DL or DCA on busy days
    And also I suppose that one or two glitches with a ride or surge in wait time could totally throw off the schedule.
    The whole interactive idea was built on a thought that it would be convenient to not have to visit that exact ride's fast pass machine to get the FP, and I expanded on it.
    I still conceptually like the idea, but in practice, I suppose it could cause lots of problems and angry guests.

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Originally Posted by me

and so forth.

The more I think about it the more I like this idea.

It would help discourage over use of the AP.

It would eliminate the need to go to the attractions ahead of time to obtain fps...in fact it would even limit the number of FPs to a degree which may make the standby lines a little shorter.

It would help people who wanted to plan things out in advance because they would know how many fps they would have in advance of even going.

It would help people who didn't want to plan in advance because they could just take things as they come and if they encounted an especially long line they could just use one of their fps that they got before even entering the park.

It would eliminate any unfair advantages some fp users have over others...while still preserving the main funtion of the fp.
    And it would build another revenue stream for E-bay for unused FPs.

Seriously, this idea isn't bad.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HydroGuy View Post
    And it would build another revenue stream for E-bay for unused FPs.

Seriously, this idea isn't bad.
    Unfortunately, as presented, it's not especially good either.

Fastpasses are a per-ride and time crowd management tool. They are intended to stretch out the arrival times of the willing to the attraction queues by giving people expedited access.

Generic fastpasses that are not date and time and ride specific don't accomplish that. His proposal rations out fastpasses to people over a varying timescale (a year in the case of AP's) but I don't see how that addresses the immediate issue on a day-by-day and hour-by-hour basis.

You might argue that it avoids fastpass abuse and overuse by the knowledgeable but how big a problem is that really ?

The fundamental problem is ride capacity and demand and the fact that Disney has such distractions as parades and fireworks (and closing times) that keep things from being entirely smoothed out among the available hours in the day.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

I like the idea of fps based on admission price, not a bad idea. Here's another thought going along the lines of fixing the system as is. It has been stated here that shrinking the return window only causes people to micromanage their time. What if this:

1) You can only truly have one fp at a time. No 2 hour and you get another or if your window has opened up.

2) The new fps have a time you can return after, no window of time. However, you cannot get another one until you have used your first one. The CM could scan the barcode on the ticket to see if it is valid to use.

3) You can get a new fp if you are aleady holding one, but doing so voids the other one you already have.

So in short, you can truly only have 1 fp at a time. You can change your mind and get a new one, but the first one will not validate when the CM scans it. Then when you ride, the fp is scanned and voided when you go on the ride. It's not a perfect solution, but it seems the infrastructure is in place to do this and it will at least help with the abuse.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYardDog View Post
    Unfortunately, as presented, it's not especially good either.

Fastpasses are a per-ride and time crowd management tool. They are intended to stretch out the arrival times of the willing to the attraction queues by giving people expedited access.

Generic fastpasses that are not date and time and ride specific don't accomplish that. His proposal rations out fastpasses to people over a varying timescale (a year in the case of AP's) but I don't see how that addresses the immediate issue on a day-by-day and hour-by-hour basis.

You might argue that it avoids fastpass abuse and overuse by the knowledgeable but how big a problem is that really ?

The fundamental problem is ride capacity and demand and the fact that Disney has such distractions as parades and fireworks (and closing times) that keep things from being entirely smoothed out among the available hours in the day.
    You make some good points but assuming we must keep fastpass(which I am doing in this thread only...frankly I'd like to see the entire system dropped altogether) and assuming it needs to be improved wouldn't making it more simple(which I think my plan does) for guests to use and more fair be better than introducing an even more complicated system(kind of like this runon sentence of mine) that could be massaged even more by those who are fastpass savy?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DLandFansAZ View Post
    I like the idea of fps based on admission price, not a bad idea. Here's another thought going along the lines of fixing the system as is. It has been stated here that shrinking the return window only causes people to micromanage their time. What if this:

1) You can only truly have one fp at a time. No 2 hour and you get another or if your window has opened up.

2) The new fps have a time you can return after, no window of time. However, you cannot get another one until you have used your first one. The CM could scan the barcode on the ticket to see if it is valid to use.

3) You can get a new fp if you are aleady holding one, but doing so voids the other one you already have.

So in short, you can truly only have 1 fp at a time. You can change your mind and get a new one, but the first one will not validate when the CM scans it. Then when you ride, the fp is scanned and voided when you go on the ride. It's not a perfect solution, but it seems the infrastructure is in place to do this and it will at least help with the abuse.
    Like all the other ideas presented in this thread it's an interesting and creative idea that has at least one of two issues:

1. Does it really solve the fundamental problems or does it merely layer more regimentation on the guest processing without a clear and significant benefit. In particular, are there large numbers of guests with multiple fastpasses around causing a problem ? Is what you characterize as abuse really an abuse and in what way ?

2. It requires a significantly more complex and risky guest processing system with all the scanners that can fail and which also slow down processing them onto the rides. What's the cost-benefit tradeoff here ?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast