Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Who's your DaddyB?

Golden Oldie Disneyland Home Movies (YouTube)

I happened on this on YouTube... another Disneyland golden oldie.
    I did a search and didn't find it linked here previously.

Someone's home movies of the park from the 60's and 70's... some pretty cool stuff including lots of footage of (and ON!) the subs, monorail, and the peoplemover... as well as the skyway. Tomorrowland is just FILLED with motion! And the park looks the most parklike as I'd ever seen it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_DoPAQ3gJE
    ---------------------------------------------

a walk around the park... Star Tours, Nemo, Fantasyland, Frontierland, DCA... and more!

• Senior Minion

Re: Golden Oldie Disneyland Home Movies (YouTube)

Now that video is soo well edited and so great to watch! I lovve it!!
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Lost in Wonderland

That was so awesome! Thanks for sharing.

• Banned User

That was SO fun to watch! My era of first going to DL. In the 60's. I was in Mikey's shoes then too!! Very cool. Thank you for sharing daddyb!

• Shubisha

Man. I know there used to be an outdoor stage there but is that stroller parking outside the tomorrowland stage/space? that's huge =P It might've been extra outdoor seating for the stage but sheesh

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

When it comes to Tomorrowland especially...NOW THAT's WHAT I'M TALKIN" ABOUT!!!

I caught a glimpse of "Flight To The Moon" - which became Mission to Mars when real flights to the moon became rather "old hat" for a time there in the early 70's.

Reminded me of my first "real" visit to Disneyland circa 1967...a great time with my grandparents. About Mikey's mom...a lot of women had the hair like that in the 60's...makes you wonder how they were able to stand up underneath it!

My goodness....America The Beautiful...the original subs...the Skyway...what can I say...like my sig line says...I'm old school Disneyland and I'm proud of it. Add Space Mountain a few years later and wow!

Great video! Thanks for sharing the link.

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post

Reminded me of my first "real" visit to Disneyland circa 1967...a great time with my grandparents.

-- Barry
    I think that is also my first visit to DL. Sigh. I sure wish some of Tomorrowland was still there.

Thanks for that link. It really was great.

I could be somewhere in that film!

That Tomorrowland footage is just so great. You can feel the excitement and energy that was around back then. And the old Tomorrowland Stage! Can't tell you how many great (and often famous) acts we saw there.

Also loved the Monorail footage. They were up front in the cone, and got some nice shots of the parking lot and coming into the old Disneyland Hotel Station. That was nice to see again.

Couple of nice mini-skirts there too.

• I love this place!

I didn't get to Disneyland until 1987 when I was 25. I wanta go like Mikey! I can only imagine what it must feel like to be scared by the Haunted Mansion.

What I'm most impressed about is that (except for Tomorrowland) the ole park still looks as great as it did back in the 60's. The Mansion and Small World were new in this video and they still look great today.

Thanks so much for sharing.

• Me and Tommy Kirk

I saw the crabs!

That brought back so many memories for me as well. This generation is really getting gypped when it comes to all the motion in Tomorrowland. I forget how many attractions there were from below the ground, (subs) right up to the skyway and the skyrockets. I miss the old open thoroughfare into Tomorrowland as well, without the clutter of those weird rock formations and the astro-orbiter. Even Rolly Crumps 1967 designs would be more futuristic than what they have now!

Very cool video. Thanks!

• Inhospitable about happy

We've been discussing that little movie at Doombuggies. Take a look at the big bronze Haunted Mansion plaques (around 5:00 or so in the video). Today they're green, but at the time of that movie they looked like brand new pennies.

Also, you can catch a glimpse of part of the old queue graveyard that used to be in the southern corner.
    Last edited by HBG2; 02-21-2007 at 07:44 AM.

• Who's your DaddyB?

Isn't that just the pet cemetary that's still there? That's what I assumed when I saw it, anyway.
    ---------------------------------------------

a walk around the park... Star Tours, Nemo, Fantasyland, Frontierland, DCA... and more!

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by daddyb View Post
    Isn't that just the pet cemetary that's still there? That's what I assumed when I saw it, anyway.
    Nope. The pet cemetery didn't go in until the 1980's. There used to be a small cemetery over in the southern corner, toward the berm, with eight headstones. Sometime in the mid to late 70's that whole corner was turned into nothing but bland, switchbacking queue lines (cattle chutes), and the headstones were reduced in number and moved up onto the berm itself. (I believe the crypt epitaphs on the walls were added at that time also.) Later still, the headstones were removed from the berm. Most of those eight were identical to several of the stones still in place at WDW. In the movie, you can just barely make out the one that said, "In Memory of our Patriarch, Dear Departed Grandpa Marc."

If you've got Christopher Finch's The Art of Walt Disney, there's a picture of the original graveyard on page 410.

That was a cool video.

• knell of a requiem bell

Ahhh, yes Tomorrowland as I remember it at when I was about the same age as Mikey! I sure miss the Astro Orbiters, People Mover, Skyway...now all we can hope for is TDA to get a bit nostalgic and try to bring back some of the same vitality of that golden age...heading over to Yesterland to reminisce!
    -GGG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast