Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Old Pavement vs. New Pavement

Some of the pavement installed at Disneyland under Paul Pressler was an improvement, and some of it wasn't. In many cases, though, the objective of the initiative was to conceal trash on the streets so that Disney could staff the custodial department with fewer people.

In the past, one of the three most oft-cited reasons guests returned to Disney theme parks was the sense of cleanliness and orderliness that each place provided. So, something very subtle has potentially been lost by removing all the perfectly-painted and perfectly-smooth walkways in Disneyland that were all kept perfectly-clean.

It might be a good idea for Disney to reinstate, in a few strategic locations, some of these old-style walkways in order to impress guests with the degree to which Disneyland keeps itself neat, tidy, and pretty.

Looking at some old pictures and films, one is struck by how spotless all these simply-designed walkways look.

• Special Agent

Re: Old Pavement vs. New Pavement

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    Some of the pavement installed at Disneyland under Paul Pressler was an improvement, and some of it wasn't. In many cases, though, the objective of the initiative was to conceal trash on the streets so that Disney could staff the custodial department with fewer people.self tidy and orderly.

That can't possibly be true. They installed the pavers at great expense. I do know that part of the justification for that was the flexibility in repairing sections of pavement (whereas you could replace a broken brick more easily than repaving a whole area). But concealing trash? I just don't get it.

I like the themed walkways. They're nice.

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    I do know that part of the justification for that was the flexibility in repairing sections of pavement (whereas you could replace a broken brick more easily than repaving a whole area).
    It's also true that if you need to up-lift a section to install a pipe or cable under the path, it's easier and looks better afterwards to replace pavers, rather than patch a section (the resultant seams).

But in DL it must also look the part. If the pavement doesn't match the theme or if it isn't kept clean and gum free* it really brings the look down.

(* Spanks to all you buggers who spit your chewed gum on the sidewalk!)
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    That can't possibly be true. They installed the pavers at great expense. I do know that part of the justification for that was the flexibility in repairing sections of pavement (whereas you could replace a broken brick more easily than repaving a whole area). But concealing trash? I just don't get it.

I like the themed walkways. They're nice.
    The areas were repaved for a variety of reasons. For example, Tomorrowland's pavers make the area as much as ten degrees cooler in the Summertime and ten degrees warmer in the Winter, especially because there was a concern that the old Tomorrowland used to get too hot in the sunshine. But, concealing litter was, indeed, one of the main reasons for the entire repaving initiative.

I am interested to know if the reason people thought so highly of Disneyland's cleanliness is more because they appreciated the sense of well-being such orderliness provided. Disney was known for an institutional obsessive-compulsiveness in its operation, and this reputation was built on impressing guests with such things as broad expanses of immaculate walkways. The feeling of reassurance that guests experienced by this perfectionism is hard to fully understand, but I believe it is one of the reasons Disneyland was so successful for so long. And, I wonder if the previously restrictive policies regarding guest conduct also lent themselves to this overall sense of Utopian idealism, or freedom from problems.

In many ways, I think Walt Disney was attempting to have the areas outside the attractions embody the status quo of each story. These are the places where Disneyland is truly the happiest place on Earth, and, then, inside each attraction, conflict is introduced and eventually resolved so that, as guests exit, they experience a happy ending and are returned to the status quo.

• A Beautiful Tomorrow!

I love all the new pavement espically Frontierlands with the horseshoes and such.
    "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." Walt Disney

I really liked the old "smooth" walkways. Like Pragmatic Idealist has said, they offered a certain reassurance. Some of the new pavement treatments are nice, but overall, I miss the old style. They did look very clean, and provided a near zen-like serenity; they were like a "mat" to the subject framed within them. I find some of the current expanses of pavers almost too cluttered and busy.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

I've never heard of this conceal-the-litter repaveing initiative, although it's not entirely surprising or impossible to fathom.

As it stands, I like every land's pavement choices. They coincide perfectly with each land, and help to make the ground-to-sky immersion complete.

The only land I have an issue with is Tomorrowland. The drab, reddish brown hexagonal pavers are ugly and make very little sense to Tomorrowland. This is, however, the fault of the New Tomorrowland '98 fiasco, if I'm not mistaken, which also made very little sense to Tomorrowland.

The other lands seem to work well though. Fantasyland's cobblestones and pavers are intrumental in completing the land's bavarian village theme. Frontierland's mixed use of pavers/cobbles (outside the Golden Horseshoe) and colored cement stamped with horseshoes and rolled through with wagon wheels helps tell the wild-west story that is the Frontier. ...anyway, I won't go into the rest of the lands, but for me, it all seems to work. Except, of course, Tomorrowland.
    Last edited by MasterGracey; 02-21-2007 at 01:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Werner View Post
    I really liked the old "smooth" walkways. Like Pragmatic Idealist has said, they offered a certain reassurance. Some of the new pavement treatments are nice, but overall, I miss the old style. They did look very clean, and provided a near zen-like serenity; they were like a "mat" to the subject framed within them. I find some of the current expanses of pavers almost too cluttered and busy.
    Yes, some of the new pavement is a definite improvement, and some of it isn't.

For example, the bricks on Main Street, U.S.A. are just too brown, and their herringbone pattern does look too busy. Also, Central Plaza deserves a different style of paving from the rest of Main Street, U.S.A.

I'd like to see the old smooth paving only in certain places where it makes sense to have it.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Do any of you have photo comparisons? I'd like to SEE what it is you're all discussing here.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Daddyb just posted a link to this video, which has a few shots of the smooth pavement: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_DoPAQ3gJE.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="<A href="http://www.youtube.com/v/m_DoPAQ3gJE"></param><param">http://www.youtube.com/v/m_DoPAQ3gJE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/m_DoPAQ3gJE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 02-21-2007 at 03:38 PM.

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    I've never heard of this conceal-the-litter repaveing initiative, although it's not entirely surprising or impossible to fathom.
    You've clearly never been to the kind of bar where the carpet is designed to make vomit blend in seamlessly. It works very well until you walk on it, hear squishy noises and slip.

• I love this place!

Does anyone else dislike the pavers along the bottom-most walkway in front of New Orleans Square? I'm talking about the path from POTC to the Harbour Galley right along the waters edge. My wife always chooses to stay up closer by New Orleans Square and the Haunted Mansion. Says the unevenness of the pavers hurts her feet. I'm sure she's not the only one.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

The first I heard of the themed walkways, was when
    "EuroDisney" (as it was known at that time) was being
    built. I love that they were able to adapt this to the
    original DL! It's really noticable when it rains, you
    can easily see water in various crevices, especially
    in Frontierland and Adventureland.

And wasn't Frontierland originally opened with dirt
    streets?????? (someone who knows, please let us know)
    If so, this just brings the real look of Frontierland back,
    without all the muddy mess they had with real dirt streets.

• Basking in birthday love

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    The first I heard of the themed walkways, was when
    &quot;EuroDisney&quot; (as it was known at that time) was being
    built. I love that they were able to adapt this to the
    original DL! It's really noticable when it rains, you
    can easily see water in various crevices, especially
    in Frontierland and Adventureland.

And wasn't Frontierland originally opened with dirt
    streets?????? (someone who knows, please let us know)
    If so, this just brings the real look of Frontierland back,
    without all the muddy mess they had with real dirt streets.
    Yes, at opening, Frontierland had dirt walkways. I don't know when they were replaced, but the mud got pretty intense. Speaking of, the horseshoes in the pavement in Frontierland sort of bug me. They're well-themed, but how did they get there? Where are they heading? They probably shouldn't bother me, but they always do.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

• Dont make me unfriend you

I worked as Night Custodial when the pavement was changed in Adventureland. I hated it!

It was so much easier to hose and dry the ground when the pavement was smooth. (We hosed down and dried the streets every night when the park closes)

The new pavement made it much harder to hose and dry before the park opened each day. So, I hated it while I worked there.

But now that I don't work there (and cleaning the park each night isn't my problem) I love the new pavements.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast