Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Older Than Dirt

Re: Grizzly River Run

I think that GRR is a great ride as well. Since I live locally, I avoid going to the DLR during the summer. I normally go in early December for Christmas and maybe during the spring time. I've been on GRR a couple of times and loved everything about it except for getting drenched. I love Splash Mountain as well and normally just get a little wet on that one too. But last time I went on it, I was in the front seat and got sopping wet. It took my jeans hours to start to dry out, not to mention all the water in my shoes. Not fun when it's only about 65 degrees out during the afternoon. Both rides are great, but I would prefer if they had some way to set them to a dry mode on those days that are colder.

My problem is the lack of imagination by Disney. I'm not taken away and thrown into a story. Even Bigfoot Rapids has you on a quest to find Bigfoot, which you do at the end. I'm glad they are adding AAs, but I thought it would have been interesting to combine the ride with the idea for Western Epedition.

You ride up hearing the song in the back ground. Hooty greets you halfway and begins telling us about the west. Once we reach the top we are back in the old west and the music is prominent. A few singing prospectors and their dogs in the cave, a cowboy and horse on the little ledge past the cave, etc. All the way to the big drop where you are caught in a crossfire between bandits and the calvalry, the bottom scene is replaced with a boom town with various show scenes going on and mayhem causing water to explode or splash up.

It would add another ride in the classic style (Pirates, HM, Splash), combining classic Disney storytelling, a theme which fits the land, and a great ride. Might give more people a reason to ride in the colder months.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by HeyBaloo View Post
    If the sun is out, even in the winter you dry pretty fast. But soggy feet is a problem, I always wear my running shoes, which dry fast. You can perch your feet on the center part up out of the water. Last time I was on I noticed a metal bar up under the set that you can also put your feet on, to keep them out of the water on the floor. I met a woman last summer who brings extra dry socks. Definately in my top ten, and way better than Kali at AK.
    I don't want to walk around drenched/wet in DCA or DL, either. And
    the tip about keeping your feet up, only works once in a while. Shoes
    can get drenched just about anywhere aboard. I've questioned the
    addition of this kind of attraction from before it was completed, just
    because you ALWAYS have people who are, at random, going to come
    out wetter than they would out of shower. A little splash or spray
    is ok, but never a drenching.

As for Splash Mt., ever since they change out the logs to the ones
    with the two seater in the back, you are apt to get more wet, and
    as in the case on Dec 31, our log got DRENCHED. YECH! It was so
    much more fun when it used to be the exception that you got very
    wet. And I certainly avoid it now, when ever the temp is less than
    60. If people really want to get wet, they go to the beach.

Hopefully they will modify BOTH attractions, to cut down on the wet.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

I generally only get on Grizzly River Run in the warmer months - and I dress appropriately - I usually wear boardshorts, a tank top and flip flops - but then, that's me - and I know what I am going up against, so I can prepare for it - same for Splash Mountain.

Board shorts and tanks and flip flops dry pretty quickly. Now, keep in mind, the only reason I know that I need to dress this way for these attractions is because I have been in jeans and sweaters and shoes before and have quite soggy in the past.

I love GRR, and I've only been able to ride it in winter. I ride earlier in the day, and I bring cheap flip-flops in a back pack and change into them just before I ride. Getting my feet wet is not an issue that way because I can put my dry shoes and socks on afterwards. Disney even provides free lockers to store my bag with my shoes. My pants may get wet, but even when my rear has been soaked, I always dry out in an hour or so in the sun, even in winter. I just remember not to wear jeans but rather thinner, quick drying pants. To me, getting wet is not a hinderance to riding at all if you are prepared.

• Older Than Dirt

Truthfully, I have a great time whenever I go to Disneyland, wet or not. If it's hot out, I look forward to getting wet on those rides. I'm not complaining, I know what the consequences are of going on water rides. So even when it's colder weather, I will probably at least go on Splash Mountain. As far as cloths go, I don't bring backpacks or anything extra with me. I like to travel light. I'm not really a flip flop and shorts person. I'm a Levis and tee shirt wearing fool, that's just what I'm most comfortable in. I've walked around Disneyland soaking wet in the past and I will again when I can't keep myself away from the lure of Splash Mountain!

Quote Originally Posted by Professortango View Post
    I'm glad they are adding AAs, but I thought it would have been interesting to combine the ride with the idea for Western Epedition.
    I keep seeing this pop up. Anyone have a link that says they are adding AA? Only thing I'm aware that they might do is lower the height to 40" (possibly).
    "I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I've ever known."
    -Walt Disney

• Minion

It seems Disney has not expanded on the concept of the ride like Splash Mountain did for log flumes, or what Tower of Terror did for drop rides. Both Kali River Rapids and Grizzly River Run are similar to the run-of-the-mill river rapids attractions, except better themed. I agree that too much time is wasted on the long lift hill and not enough on the actual rapids. Personally, I think Universal did a better job with the Bilge Rat Barges at Islands of Adventure, but that's just me; the actual ride is much more fun in my opinion, but both Grizzly River Run and Kali River Rapids are still better themed.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

I just never seem to be there when it's hot enough. I get cold really easy... Maybe I'm just a wuss!

Well.... I guess when it is hot enough I just hate waiting in that line.

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    It seems Disney has not expanded on the concept of the ride like Splash Mountain did for log flumes, or what Tower of Terror did for drop rides. Both Kali River Rapids and Grizzly River Run are similar to the run-of-the-mill river rapids attractions, except better themed. I agree that too much time is wasted on the long lift hill and not enough on the actual rapids. Personally, I think Universal did a better job with the Bilge Rat Barges at Islands of Adventure, but that's just me; the actual ride is much more fun in my opinion, but both Grizzly River Run and Kali River Rapids are still better themed.
    Agreed. Anyone who's been on Popeye at IOA knows both KRR / GRR are lame in comparison. Universal simply makes better attractions nowadays. Why? Cuz they invest more money into them.
    "I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I've ever known."
    -Walt Disney

• Dreams do come true

I like it a lot just hate wet clothes afterwards, but at least it's not like Kali River rapids in DAK that ride stunk. You know the best rapid ride I've been on was the popeye ride in Islands of adventure. You get way soaked!! Basically you are wet head to toe also so is everybody else, it's not like GRR where sometimes you don't get wet.

• Atomic Audioanimatronic

I went on it once, and was nonplussed (I used to *love* Big Foot Rapids when I was younger)... I am definitely looking forward to more immersive theming, though, and I'm sure that will get me on it much more than now. I think dinosaurs with lazers and a huge, epic heavy metal soundtrack will work nicely. Plus fog machines.

• Gumball Rally Godfather

It just seems like such a waste of an E-Ticket attraction when people won't ride it in the winter months because they don't want to get wet. Funny, huh? Seems like a no-brainer that most people don't want to get wet in the wintertime.

Too bad, really.

One more thing that causes people say that DCA sucks.

Originally Posted by HotelNeptune
    I think dinosaurs with lazers and a huge, epic heavy metal soundtrack will work nicely. Plus fog machines.
    And a loop!
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Banned User

The AA's also add more landscaping and themeing.

• Future Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by Tink1969 View Post
    One thing I've noticed is that when I'm looking at trip reports there never seems to be any mention of Grizzly River Run. Am I the only one that thinks this is one of the best rides at DLR? In fact, the last time I was there my daughters and I went 11 times in 3 days.

Wow, it's amazing! Some awesome theming too! I don't understand how they pump SO much water down that mountain!
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast