Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

• Minion

Re: Grizzly River Run

The only other river raft ride I've ever been on was the one at Magic Mountain - and that only once. I wasn't impressed at the time. All I really remember of that is the raft going *bump* down these "steps" in the flume. So by comparison to that, at least, GRR seems fantastic!

The drips from the pipes on the way up, the little signs and things, the whistling wind in the caves, the surprise geyser in the water, etc., really add to the theming, even though its not as extensive as Thunder or Splash Mountain. And I think Grizzly Peak itself is a great icon.

It's a little weird, though, that the only animals we see along Grizzly River Run are rats (and then, only their little glowing eyes).

I think the ride could use some "plussing" when the Placemaking finally comes through.

Once, I December, I rode in a raft all alone after dark (most of the other rafts were going out empty, too). That was a unique experience.

I like that it has Single Rider, but the last time I was there I got put in a raft in which every other rider was part of a single family. They were like, "are you sure you're supposed to be in our raft?" or something like that, and I tried to explain the concept of Single Rider. They were friendlier after that, but I think they still wished I wasn't in their raft.

To get dry after GRR, I usually go on Soarin' with those wind effects

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Led_Zep View Post
    Spiderman beats the crap out of any attraction, not just Disney, period. Nothing comes close to Spiderman. Theming / queue / soundtrack / immersion etc....as of right now, it sets the bar and Disney hasn't come close to topping it. Indiana Jones is their only compitition and it surely is not as good. The queue to Indy is more "epic", but Spiderman's queue is just as detailed. Anyone who I've even been on Spiderman with has always said "that's the best ride I've ever been on".
    That is debatable. I personally would prefer any of the Disney attractions listed over Spider-Man, but I do admit it has outstanding special effects. Universal's attractions just never seem to have that level of theming or immersion that Disney attractions have and feel fake to me for some reason. The actual "ride" portion of Spider-Man is very high-tech but having been on almost every single Disney and Universal attraction, I don't know if I would call it the best.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

I would agree that the Universal "parks" aren't as well themed and don't immerse you as much. Walking into Disneyland or the Magic Kingdom creates a feeling that cannot be duplicated by Universal. The "show" aspects of Disney are by far the best. As for a specific attraction, I would agree it's debatable. Each person is entitled to their opinion. For me, nothing comes close to Spiderman as an attraction.
    "I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I've ever known."
    -Walt Disney

• Minion

I would agree that the Universal "parks" aren't as well themed and don't immerse you as much. Walking into Disneyland or the Magic Kingdom creates a feeling that cannot be duplicated by Universal. The "show" aspects of Disney are by far the best. As for a specific attraction, I would agree it's debatable. Each person is entitled to their opinion. For me, nothing comes close to Spiderman as an attraction.
    Well, Spider-Man is definitely among the top 10 attractions I've ever ridden. I just prefer the listed attractions more because they're much better themed, both inside and out. Since they don't rely on video screens like Spider-Man, their sets are far more elaborate and immersive. I think if Spider-Man had the same level of detail, it might be higher on my list. As of now, the "ride" is the only thing that's "amazing" in my opinion. Take a look at Journey to the Center of the Earth at Tokyo DisneySea; by far the most elaborate attraction ever and is currently my favorite attraction.

• triple seven

I rode it one time when it was about 50-60, cloudy and rainy out. They just let me stay on since there was no one in line. Haha I was quite cold after, but it was worth it.

• Progressive Disneylander

Spiderman beats the crap out of any attraction, not just Disney, period. Nothing comes close to Spiderman. Theming / queue / soundtrack / immersion etc....as of right now, it sets the bar and Disney hasn't come close to topping it. Indiana Jones is their only compitition and it surely is not as good. The queue to Indy is more "epic", but Spiderman's queue is just as detailed. Anyone who I've even been on Spiderman with has always said "that's the best ride I've ever been on".
    I agree, Led_Zep. Spider-Man is the best ride I have ever been on -- period. IMO, nothing comes close to the experience of Spider-Man as things stand today. It has set the bar quite high.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by KISSman View Post
    I agree, Led_Zep. Spider-Man is the best ride I have ever been on -- period. IMO, nothing comes close to the experience of Spider-Man as things stand today. It has set the bar quite high.
    I agree 100%. Spider-Man has definitely proven that Universal is capable of creating attractions that surpass many of Disney's attractions in terms of special effects and technology. When I first rode Spider-Man, I was literally out of words; it was that good. It reminded me of when I first rode Tower of Terror at MGM-Studios, or Indiana Jones Adventure at Disneyland. Although it didn't become my favorite attraction (at that time, it was still Indiana Jones Adventure), I gave it 5 stars for being breathtakingly amazing and for being the most advanced attraction I had seen up until that point.

Last year, I rode two unique attractions that captivated me in the same way Spider-Man did many years ago; Pooh's Hunny Hunt at Tokyo Disneyland and Journey to the Center of the Earth at Tokyo DisneySea. Both are outstanding E-ticket attractions that, in my opinion, surpass the overall experience of Spider-Man. Pooh's Hunny Hunt is just as technologically advanced as Spider-Man, while maintaining the Disney magic and the ability to immerse guests through stunning and colorful sets.

Journey to the Center of the Earth is not as technologically advanced (it's an improved version of Test Track's technology) as Spider-Man or Pooh's Hunny Hunt, but its ability to transport you into the fictional world of Jules Verne's novel is unlike any other attraction that I've ever experienced. The only attraction that even comes close is Indiana Jones Adventure, but Journey to the Center of the Earth takes it a step further in execution. The design and set-up of everything from before you enter the queue to after you exit is phenomenal that it goes beyond the defintion of an attraction; it feels like a real journey to the subterranean world because of the incredible attention to detail everywhere. Videos and pictures do not do this attraction any justice at all; you simply must see it in person to believe it. I highly encourage everybody to read this detailed article/review of Journey to the Center of the Earth if you're interested.
    http://www.mouseplanet.com/tokyo/tds...sjourney01.htm

Now getting back on topic, I think Grizzly River Run was designed to be the star attraction of California Adventure since it is located in the park icon. Question is, of all the possible choices for a ride inside a mountain, why did they opt for a river rapids ride? They are a dime a dozen these days and basically every theme park in the country has one. It certainly doesn't make the park stand out in my opinion.

Looking at Kali River Rapids, Disney's first attempt at this kind of ride, I can see nothing advancing it beyond other similar attractions. There are virtually no special effects, the rapids are quite weak, and there really isn't any evidence of theming in the ride except for the beautifully designed queue. It really is just a bunch of exotic plants and a truck placed in one of the key scenes. It really was quite a disappointing ride, especially considering how short it was. And adding to the fact that nothing really attractions your attention like AA's or detailed show scenes, the period of time spent on the actual rapids seems kind of boring. Personally, I don't want to see any more of these rides unless Disney is doing something new to expand the concept.

• living to haunt

Quote Originally Posted by Circarama View Post
    Almost everyone is this thread is NOT riding because of the probability of getting wet. Even with a poncho you get wet. I don't know anybody that enjoys walking around in 40-65 degree weather with soggy shoes.

IT'S TIME TO ENCLOSE THE RAFTS IN WINTER!!

Even if the enclosure was only 1/2 way up, they could keep almost all of the water out and the ridership would go up. Besides, Disney is already paying for the electricity to run the attraction... I don't know why they don't make it more attractive to the guests by trying to keep them dry in the wintertime.
    OK I have never been on it due to the fact I see people coming off soaking wet. Now I thought it was just forced drownings but now I see from the posts that this is the usual?? that wet? Since our trip is in December maybe this year I will get those ponchos and have them ready for the ride! Having never gone on it is it ok for 5 and 6 years old grandkids? thanks

• aka the scorpion eater!

OMG! Its been a while since I posted on here.... but I had to give my 2 cents... GRR used to be one of my favorite rides at DCA, until Tower of Terror was built... To be honest I prefer it over California Screamin, although I am in the minority when I say that you dont get wet enough on it... I get so dissapointed when about every other raft ride has waterfalls that can be turned off for colder months, and left on so that everyone in the boat is equally soaked... the whole point of a raft ride is to get wet and the wetness factor on GRR is lacking, especially in the summer when there should be a large waterfall over the first dip, soaking the entire raft as it goes down... Or possibly a waterfall as you enter the cave after the first dip would be better than that, that way everyone gets soaked and comes off dripping wet... and its summer... people will dry off and when night time comes or the sun starts going down, those waterfalls can be switched off by a sensor that the boat triggers before it hits waterfall like all the other places do... not only is it better theming to appear as if you are goiung to get drenced in a waterfall, only to have it shut off as you go under, its also that sense of "OMG! Its nighttime and i dont wanna get soaked", then the sigh of relief as it shut off as you went under... and it could be turned off or on that switch for Winter months... Bigfoot rapids does this on their ride and they have waterfalls that almost half the boat gets soaked on during the sumer, yet at night and colder seasons they have them shut off right before the boat goes under.... most of the time the rapids and dips alone dont cut it on the wetness factor, and this is coming from someone who loves water rides...
    Oh, and I have taken my camera on GRR all the time.... I have plenty of awesome pics taken both on the dips and while on the ride... its an outdoor ride... nothing wrong with taking lots of pictures on it!

• white and nerdy

My family and I love it. Ride it two or three times every time we are down.... But then again, we are hearty Utah folk who don't mind getting splashed now and again. Not like the spoiled SoCal folk... I kid I kid.

We are just glad to be on a ride I guess.

But we do love it. The wetness is random. Sometimes I don't get a drop, other times I'm soaked. Don't take it personal.

heh.. actually my wife and I took our boss and her kids to DCA and convinced their youngest that she wouldn't get that wet. She'd get wet, but not soaked. It was a gamble, and we lost. She was drenched from head to foot. luckily she liked it.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    Now getting back on topic, I think Grizzly River Run was designed to be the star attraction of California Adventure since it is located in the park icon. Question is, of all the possible choices for a ride inside a mountain, why did they opt for a river rapids ride? They are a dime a dozen these days and basically every theme park in the country has one. It certainly doesn't make the park stand out in my opinion.

Looking at Kali River Rapids, Disney's first attempt at this kind of ride, I can see nothing advancing it beyond other similar attractions. There are virtually no special effects, the rapids are quite weak, and there really isn't any evidence of theming in the ride except for the beautifully designed queue. It really is just a bunch of exotic plants and a truck placed in one of the key scenes. It really was quite a disappointing ride, especially considering how short it was. And adding to the fact that nothing really attractions your attention like AA's or detailed show scenes, the period of time spent on the actual rapids seems kind of boring. Personally, I don't want to see any more of these rides unless Disney is doing something new to expand the concept.

Actually, GRR did feature something new, and that's the pinwheel drop. Instead of just going over the falls in whatever direction the raft went in, the raft would be spun down the falls so you didn't know who was gonna get the wettest at the bottom.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

It's not that it's a bad ride. I haven't been on it in a year or two. Last time I rode it, it was 90-100 degrees outside -- I got soaked to the bone -- thought for sure I would dry out, and then didn't. I had to spend $$$ and buy new clothes. If I ever brave it again, it will be when I have a locker stuffed with a change of clothes.

• Zero Blockout Dates

Love it but we seem to get so wet that we usually ride it in the summer
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345