Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Banned User

What Is Your First Disneyland Memory? Who? When?

I remember visiting the "Happiest Place On Earth" when I was 6 years old. It was 1967 and I have such a vivid memory of specific things. IASW is one of them. To this day, when I ride IASW, I think of her next to me. It's one of my favorite rides!!!

My mother had terminal cancer at the time, and took me as one of our last memories together. Of course, I didn't know that then, but, now that I am the age that she was when she died...I know this was the case.

This doesn't take away from the wonder of visiting DL the first time!

What's your tale? When did you go? Who with?

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: What Is Your First Disneyland Memory? Who? When?

My first visit was in either 1959 or 1960, so I would have been 3 or 4 years old. My grandparents and my mother took me. My memories include having pancakes at Aunt Jemima's Pancake House, being scared by the indians at the Indian Village, and seeing Jimmie Dodd and the original Mousketeers put on a show at the old Mickey Mouse clubhouse.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    My first visit was in either 1959 or 1960, so I would have been 3 or 4 years old. My grandparents and my mother took me. My memories include having pancakes at Aunt Jemima's Pancake House, being scared by the indians at the Indian Village, and seeing Jimmie Dodd and the original Mousketeers put on a show at the old Mickey Mouse clubhouse.
    My first visit was in 1959 at the age of two. I only remember bits and pieces of the Jungle Cruise, Carousel, Midget Autopia, the Mine Train, and the DL Hotel. Seems like a strange disjointed dream now.
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• Peeps :Do

I went in 2000 my memory was when I asked the Green Army Man to sign my book and he did but he took it and made me jump up and down for it

AS WE GO ON, WE REMEMBER

all the [ t i m e s ] we had together . && as
    our lives change, from // whatever. we will
    still be - - - - >> friends forever

• Minion

I didn't go to DL until I was 16 (1984). Even though I was already an teenager I was so excited to meet Mickey! I was waiting on Main Street to get my pic with him and little kids kept running in front of me. I would always just stop and let the kids go, then start towards Mickey and have to wait again. Mickey finally put his hand up to stop the next kid and waved me over! I was so excited. Man, I have always been a geek

• Hiding in the shadows

I went to Disneyland a lot as a child and for some reason most of those trips all blend together into visits in Tomorrowland, probably around 1982 version or so. If I think back to the most vivid memory I have of Disneyland it would have been during the 30th anniversary I think. They either had car giveaways or just sponsors that had cars lined up on the walkway form the tram dropoff to the park and you could go inside them like at the autoshow. I remember sitting in Ford Bronco for like 15 minutes, because that was the car I wanted when I was old enough (I was 13 at the time).

Its weird but even today that is the memory I remmber more than any others. Probably sad really...

• Ohhh baboo :(

10 miles from the DLR. AP Holder for 9 years.

Talking Re: What Is Your First Disneyland Memory? Who? When?

Quote Originally Posted by tbspeepsintheknow View Post
    I went in 2000 my memory was when I asked the Green Army Man to sign my book and he did but he took it and made me jump up and down for it
    ahahaha that's awesome.

Hmmmm...my first memory was probably when I was around 10 (1989). I remember my dad taking me and my best friend at the time to the park for the day. We were so excited. He let us run around while he followed behind, taking his time and strolling along. I remember he gave us each $5 dollars and told us to go have fun for a few hours and then meet him back on the benches on Main Street. I remember the Electrical Parade being fairly new around that time. We stood on Main Street to wait for it and my best friend couldn't see anything so my dad put her up on his shoulders so she could see. I stood right in front of him and I remember one of the little snails in the parade came right up to me and bowed his head.

My husband and I took my parents to Disneyland for Christmas the year before last. My dad is close to 75 now and he has to use a wheelchair to get around. He still talks about what a great time he had and how special it was. Of course I got teary eyed because I remember him being so big and strong and lifting us up to see the fireworks after the parade. And now the roles are switched! I was pushing him around and helping his stand up to get on the rides!

• Inhospitable about happy

Oldest memories? Vague memories of the treehouse being built, and being jazzed that there was a new Monorail, the yellow one, which had joined the red and blue ones since an earlier visit.

Also, being too scared to go on Peter Pan, since there was a skeleton head in the sail and it would be looking down at me in the dark, so fuggeddaboutit.

• Let's get dangerous!

My first trip was in 1991 when I was 2, but I don't remember it. My mom has pictures of the Disney Afternoon area, though.

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

I was approx 3 (maybe a year or so older but lets go w/ 3) and we were standing outside of the Snow White ride. My mom had picked me up and I was facing Peter Pan. My dad was standing behind my mom and she turned around to say something to my dad so I was then facing Snow White. I looked up and saw the evil queen in the window and freaked right the heck out. I couldnt go on the ride till I was 12.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• It's all nonsense

~1988, I was 7. It was my first trip to DL and Star Tours was one of the new big attractions so we headed straight to that first thing in the morning. The queue freaked me out and my Grandma had to take me outside.

I also have a vivid memory of being on Alice and the Mad Hatter scene had this big bang. It made me jump it was so loud. Can anyone verify this? Because now the ride doesn't make a big noise.

• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries

I don't remember what my earliest memory of DL is. I have been going ever since I was conceived. Things I do remember:

-riding the Matterhorn Bobsleds before the abominable Snowman was installed with the multicolored bobsleds
    -I remember seeing Big thunder being built.
    -I can recall going on Space Mountain when it opened. I was four years old and my dad carried me through the queue because I was a little too short to ride. He kept telling me that It was like Star Wars inside and that kept me from throwing a total fit and begging to leave. I went on and have never looked back.
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals.
    Homer Jay Simpson

• I've got the Disney fever

My first memory isn't my first trip, I've been going since I was born. My first memory is riding Peter Pan with my sister when I was 3 or 4 and she was 7 or 8. And our L.A. Gears were glowing from the black lights. I remember we thought it was the coolest thing ever. I also remember riding IASW and touching the water and my mom slapping me in the back of the head . Those are my first memories.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

There are 2 things that stick out in my mind seeing that I was probably 3. First was the Motorboat cruise. I really thought I was racing the other boats! The other thing was the train on Mr. Toad. Good God! Seeing a train coming at you when you think it's real will get you scrambling!

Tons of great memories when I was young. America Sings, Adventure though inner space, Mission to Mars will always hold a special place in my heart.

Chad

• Senior Minion

I'm not sure if this counts, but as a child, I was taken to the New York World's Fair, where I got to see (and was amazed by) IASW and Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast