Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• It's all nonsense

Edison Square and International Street

I've searched for information on Edison Square and International Street that were supposed to be built. But information seems to be somewhat sparse.
    These concepts intrigue me and I had a few questions...

-Where these two 'lands' proposed for the same area next to main street? I mean would they be kind of intertwined with each other?

-Does anyone have any links to concept art? I read that at one point there was a preview set up at DL, but I can't seem to find photos of the preview.

-I'm assuming these lands will never come to fruition, but is there still space to do something in the area next to main street?

Thanks.

• aka the scorpion eater!

Re: Edison Square and International Street

I have that book about Imagineering that I got on my last trip to Disneyland... it was one of those concepts that was proposed but never went off the shelf... The closest youll get to Edison Square is Liberty Square at the Magic Kingdom... from what I heard its the same basic concept. I dont have links to to concept art, but both International street and Edison Square were mentioned in the 2 books that I bought on my last trips... the coffeetable size book on Imagineers and Imagineering had concept art for both of them and The Disneyland Here now and Today (that one book for the 50th) had quite a bit of concept art... there were even drawings of something called Lilliputian land in the area above autopia... And in one of my books it mentions that Pirates of the carribbbean was planned as a walkthrough wax museum type of attraction... I always love the concept art for attractions and things in the disney universe... its always great to see how the finished product differs from the concept art!

• Huh?

Actually, Liberty Square was what became of the third proposed "land" that the poster didn't mention, Liberty Street. That version was discarded because the AA tech that Walt wanted wasn't in place yet (it would've been still figures of the presidents in the big attraction if he did it in the early 50s).

International Street eventually became World Showcase.

Edison Square was my favorite, though. It would've been quite a show....
    -Tim

• It's all nonsense

So Edison Square was a completely different idea at a different time than International Street? Or would they have been in the same 'land'?

• Huh?

Edison Square, International Street, and Liberty Street were three different concepts on what to do with the same area behind the big wall on Main Street. The ideas were changed almost yearly and at one point, you could look through holes in the wall and see a diorama of what was coming to that space very soon.
    -Tim

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum View Post
    Edison Square, International Street, and Liberty Street were three different concepts on what to do with the same area behind the big wall on Main Street
    Liberty Street and Edison Square were actually planned for different areas East of Main Street. Don't have access to the "big map" that featured them right now, but from a quick Google someone describes their 1963 map as having:

On it at the lower end of Main Street Liberty Street is shown, with featuers such as the US Capitol In Miniature, Declaration Of Independence Diorama, Hall Of Presidents (at that time they were still thinking of it as a diorama of waxworks presidents) and of course Colonial Shoppes, Glass Shoppe, Blacksmith, Paul Reveres Silver Shoppe, and the Boston Observer Print Shoppe. Up at the other end of Main Street is Edison Square the begining of the idea for the Carousel of Progress. In this early version the stages sat in the buildings around the square and the audience would walk from theatre to theater.
    But you're right about International Street and Liberty Street being planned at different times for the same area. They were planned separately at different times for the Town Square gate by the hat shop. International Street came first as a concept for that spot, and later Liberty Street took over the concept for the same real estate.

Here's a July 17, 1955 Opening Day shot that shows International Street as "coming soon"....

(you might also note the KABC camera at the bottom, reflectors on the roof, and antenna sticking up into the air...all from the Town Square dedication that had taken place earlier that day)

...and here's that same spot a couple of years later when Liberty Street was the new "coming soon."

• Fastest Man Alive

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
    I've searched for information on Edison Square and International Street that were supposed to be built. But information seems to be somewhat sparse.
    These concepts intrigue me and I had a few questions...

-Where these two 'lands' proposed for the same area next to main street? I mean would they be kind of intertwined with each other?

-Does anyone have any links to concept art? I read that at one point there was a preview set up at DL, but I can't seem to find photos of the preview.

-I'm assuming these lands will never come to fruition, but is there still space to do something in the area next to main street?

Thanks.
    Check out the 1958 Souvnenior Map, it's also in the inside cover to 'Art of Disneyland' book that is currently for sale. The map showed the entrance to International Street would take place in Town Square at the gate where the parade enters and exits. The entrance to Edison Square would be further down Mainstreet and take place approximately where the lockers are now. Both lands would be 'dead ends' and due to their proximity their stores and attractions most certainly shared show buildings, the were not connected so that a guest could travel from one to another.

Much has changed in the last 50 years, pretty much all space that once was available is gone. Disneyland needs that backstage area to function, it is not a section of the park that can be expanded without MASSIVE renovation.

• It's all nonsense

Wow! Great pics. I bet people were confused back then when the concept kept changing.
    Now I heard a story regarding the Edison Square concept somewhat leading to the making of the Carousel of Progress. Is there any truth to that?

• A Suitcase & A Dream

Here is some information and concept art http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hi...03/31/571.aspx

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Walt had also wanted a little Chinatown with an animatronic dinner theater. Don't know how popular that would have been to be honest.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Basking in birthday love

If you look at concepts for Edison Square, you'll see that the plot of the main show was remarkably similar to what eventually became the Carousel of Progress. The Edison Square sketch in the Main Street display at the Opera House illustrates this pretty well. I believe Yesterland also has a page on International Street.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

• Fastest Man Alive

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Walt had also wanted a little Chinatown with an animatronic dinner theater. Don't know how popular that would have been to be honest.
    Yeah, with Confuscious (sp?) who would have been the first full humanlike AA.

• Former Cast Member

Awesome photos!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    Liberty Street and Edison Square were actually planned for different areas East of Main Street. Don't have access to the "big map" that featured them right now, but from a quick Google someone describes their 1963 map as having:

But you're right about International Street and Liberty Street being planned at different times for the same area. They were planned separately at different times for the Town Square gate by the hat shop. International Street came first as a concept for that spot, and later Liberty Street took over the concept for the same real estate.

Here's a July 17, 1955 Opening Day shot that shows International Street as "coming soon"....

(you might also note the KABC camera at the bottom, reflectors on the roof, and antenna sticking up into the air...all from the Town Square dedication that had taken place earlier that day)

...and here's that same spot a couple of years later when Liberty Street was the new "coming soon."

• Basking in birthday love

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    The host of that show was intended to be the first Audio-Animatronic human figure, and Wally Boag wrote several jokes for the proposed show. However, when Walt was approached about contributing to the New York World's Fair, he scrapped that idea and proceeded with the development of the Mr. Lincoln figure and show.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

• been away for a while

Carson City Nevada , no it's not near Vegas

My Disneyland Forever book has a big section on it...

found this also

My Maleficent tattoo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast