Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Re: Is anybody else bothered by the non-random nature of Year of a Million Dreams?

I cannot speak to Big prizes because I did not win any, but I would say for the three times that I did win it was very fair and not biased (this was at WDW). All three were Dream Fastpasses. The first time was at AK on Dinosaur. As we were watching the briefing two dream teamers came in from the exit door. When the briefing was over they held us there and gave everyone in the room a pass (mixture of all types of families and people). Second time was at EPCOT and they were counting people getting off of Spaceship Earth and gave the fastpasses to the first X number (looked to be about 50) to get off from the time they arrived. Third time was at MGM and my whole Star Tours compartment got them. This was all during a 6 day trip in January.

• Minion

Re: Is anybody else bothered by the non-random nature of Year of a Million Dreams?

Quote Originally Posted by ExJungleSkipper95 View Post
    As far as I can see, here are the requirements for winning any prize:

1.) ticket purchasing guest (no annual passholders)

2.) english speaking american

3.) large prizes, such as the Mickey suite must be awarded to white, middle class families that are required to have a mother, father, son and daughter ( cute puppy golden retreiver optional).

4.) All prized must be given out before noon. Anyone entering the park after 12:00 PM does not qualify.

5) Winning guest must be attractive

6) Dream parking spaces are to be given out to random guests in the park. If the guest has already parked their vehicle, which they probably already have, then the prize is void.
    1. So it's true that when we buy an AP we get a big stamp that says "AP - Avoid" that can only be seen by CMs?

2. How did the lady win the cruise then?

3. Again, how did the single mom with 2 grown daughters, win the Mediterrean Cruise?

4. Again, how did the single mom with 2 grown daughters, win the Mediterrean Cruise after being in the correct seat of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, in the afternoon ?

5. How did I win?

6. The parking spots are not part of the promotion, but a seperate "Magical Memories" which is not random, but awarded at the parking booth, and an AP has won.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Zero Blockout Dates

It's rigged. The only random way to award prizes would have been if it happened numerically as folks crossed the turnstyles at the front gates. Other than that it's a promotional gimmic aimed at finding photogenic familys to use in marketing campaigns free of charge. Anyone seen the latest issue of BackStage?

We make our own year of a million dreams and if we get there early enough who really needs a golden fastpass. Just more DisneyLies from the great marketing minds at TDA/TDO/Burbank/Lake Bueno Nacho

IMHO Of Course
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

• It's all nonsense

I'm passing out foil hats for anyone who wants one.

• Basking in birthday love

First of all, there is no way to simulate true randomness. None. Any programmer will tell you that computers simply cannot do it. You can get close, but there will always, always be some formula behind it. I think the MCP does the best it can. (I'm so calling it that from now on, by the by.)

I've seen Dream Squad around a great deal, but I've only run into ones on prize duty three times. Twice, they were giving away their supply of hats to everyone who entered the Opera House (this was relatively early in the day). The other time was at WDW, when we JUST BARELY missed getting Dream Fastpasses, which were being given out to everyone exiting Living with the Land. (They ran out on the boat before us.) This was also pretty early in the day, right around noon.

From everything I've heard, the MCP seems to be sending the prize duty CMs to attractions more than anything else, and, as Darkbeer has stated several times on this subject, the vast majority of the prizes are given away before 5pm so the winners can get the most use out of them. People who get to the park late and don't ride stuff are less likely to win, which probably rules out a lot of MCers.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

• It's all nonsense

How did they choose the contestants for that Honda giveaway a little while back?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

Quote Originally Posted by Circarama View Post
    One of the things that I've been bothered by with the "Year Of A Million Dreams" promotion currently being pushed at Disneyland is the way the promotion is being offered, i.e. the "Dream Team" approaches some guest "randomly" and showers them with different prizes.

For some reason, there is a little voice in me asking, "Why did they get picked and not someone else?"

It seems to me that once you ad the human element into a process that includes giving out gifts, that the potential for personal prejudices can creep into the decision making process, thereby potentially tainting the entire promotion.

Are you comfortable with the current process, or would you like to see it offered in a more "truly random" way such as automatically winning via computer at the gate when entering the Park?
    I agree, it's not random enough and it should be done at the gate by the computer. Personally, I believe there is an age bias where except for group prizes like fast passes etc... the prizes will go to the younger than middle age crowd preferably, I'm sure, someone who looks like the Disney model citizen. There should be no way some people win multiple times when others never even get a glimpse of the Prize Team. But, apparently it happens often.
    Mike

• Hiding in the shadows

Quote Originally Posted by aerinpegadrak View Post
    .From everything I've heard, the MCP seems to be sending the prize duty CMs to attractions more than anything else, and, as Darkbeer has stated several times on this subject, the vast majority of the prizes are given away before 5pm so the winners can get the most use out of them. People who get to the park late and don't ride stuff are less likely to win, which probably rules out a lot of MCers.
    This is why awarding at the gate makes more sense, even if its choosing the first people through turnstyle four at 3:07pm get lanyards, or the 834th person in the park gets the suite, at least every person goes through one of the gates, and making it a numbered guest at a certain time or whatever gives everyone who visits that day a fair shot.

Whether the time or number choice is only as random as a computer can be, it doesnt matter as much then, because there is no way to profile who that person will be. In some sense, choosing a particular ride / attraction may have a stereotypical visitor (i.e. small children on Dumbo). And for those that visit a lot and dont do a lot of ride or attractions, well those chances right now are lower to win than a random visitor who only visits for a couple days but is trying to do everything.

I usually go by myself, with a few friends or with my DD, in Oct we will go as a family (Me, hubby, DD who will be 4 and DS who will be 2) and that will be a typical tourist visit (it will be the boys first time unless hubby talks me into taking him by myself first...he is a handful) so maybe we'll fit the profile then and win something good.

In the meantime, anyone want to borrow my kids to up their chances, they are pretty cute and one is potty trained...(ok just kidding )

• white and nerdy

heh...

Seems a lot like sour grapes to me.

"I didn't win anything so it must be rigged"

Just sayin....
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Basking in birthday love

But awarding at the gate has been done, and done again, and done some more. I think it's kind of cool that they're doing something new with it.

It should also be noted that prizes have been awarded on rides with height restrictions (I've heard Matterhorn and Soarin' cited, and the Castle Suite in Florida was given out on Star Tours), which kind of puts a damper on the whole "you have to have a rugrat to win" theory.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

Quote Originally Posted by Disneynut View Post
    Business and Professions Code sections 17539-17539.3, 17539.35, 17539.5, 17539.15, 17539.55, 17539.55

Would you also like the applicable federal law?
    That would be helpful.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

I call shenanigans!!!!!!
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Circarama View Post
    One of the things that I've been bothered by with the "Year Of A Million Dreams" promotion currently being pushed at Disneyland is the way the promotion is being offered, i.e. the "Dream Team" approaches some guest "randomly" and showers them with different prizes.

For some reason, there is a little voice in me asking, "Why did they get picked and not someone else?"

It seems to me that once you ad the human element into a process that includes giving out gifts, that the potential for personal prejudices can creep into the decision making process, thereby potentially tainting the entire promotion.

Are you comfortable with the current process, or would you like to see it offered in a more "truly random" way such as automatically winning via computer at the gate when entering the Park?
    I cant with you anymore than this, Charlie. I've been annoyed and bothered by this since i heard about the promotion. I even walk past the dreamers 5 times just for them to notice me.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Neverlandtink View Post
    Hi Charlie,

I have a friend who is a long time Tour Guide at the park. I asked him about that recently and he said that it's totally random, but each dream team member gets a list of places and times where the winner should be picked. For instance, when the park opens, the CM will be told to look for a person sitting on the left end of the bench facing City Hall, or choose the person standing third in line at the popcorn cart at 10:00am. They're very specific about settings, but not the actual people themselves.
    I understand now. Thats a good way of explaining it.

• Lost in Wonderland

Quote Originally Posted by DLandFansAZ View Post
    I call shenanigans!!!!!!
    *giggles* That so reminds me of the South Park boys waiting in line to ride "The Waiting in Line Ride"...haha!

I know its supposed to be random, but if and when I go this year I hope to win something even if it's small. There is still a small grain of hope...even though it sounds like my chances are small since it's just me and my husband-to-be.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast