Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Re: Is anybody else bothered by the non-random nature of Year of a Million Dreams?

from what i see it is that, many of the dream fastpasses i saw went out to families with tiny kids. the question came up in my mind thinking" hmm these kids are way too small for any of the big rides so what is the reason for teh fastpasses?" maybe i should bring my little cousisn with me so maybei can get somthing.

• Minion

Re: Is anybody else bothered by the non-random nature of Year of a Million Dreams?

Quote Originally Posted by thejoshualee View Post
    heh...

Seems a lot like sour grapes to me.

"I didn't win anything so it must be rigged"

Just sayin....
    Yep... I didn't win during our 13 days in Dec... I saw the dream team passing out prizes in DTD though. I just wasn't in the right spot at the right time. I'm in the middle aged group. I don't get to the park til afternoon usually, take our time going where we want to go, and even if I did see the dream team passing out something over by the castle, I'm not racing over there. I guess I just get tired of the "I didn't win, so it must be rigged!" mentality. The odds are still pretty huge, even for fastpasses, which there are the most of. There are about 800 prizes awarded each day. On a LIGHT day of 20,000 visiting BOTH parks and downtown disney, you stand a 4% chance of winning ANYTHING. So, of course, someone didn't win, so it's rigged.... Go to a capacity day like during the holidays, your chances drop to less than 1%.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by barfownz View Post
    I cant with you anymore than this, Charlie. I've been annoyed and bothered by this since i heard about the promotion. I even walk past the dreamers 5 times just for them to notice me.
    Next time try walking by 5 times in a multi-colored day-glo jumpsuit and a metallic wig on. You'll get their attention then, for sure. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Disneynut View Post
    Actually, your interpretation is a bit off. Regardless of who owns the prizes and the property, there are extensive state and federal laws regarding promotions that include some form of giveaway, sweepstakes, lottery, game of chance, etc.

The current system to award said prizes has been put into place in order to satisfy Disney's requirements under law and is an attempt to thwart possible future litigation from those who feel the prize was awarded in an unfair or unbalanced manner. Under this current public promotion and sweepstakes, Disney does NOT have the right to award prizes to the most "beautiful person" in the park as you allege.
    Having now read the extensive state laws that you graciously passed on to me it is in truth as I expected. Disney can indeed award the prizes to the most “beautiful person” in the park as long as they post the official rules and criteria for winning. They DO have the right to award the prizes to whomever they find to be the winner as long as it is according to their criteria for the sweepstakes.

Quote Originally Posted by thejoshualee View Post
    heh...

Seems a lot like sour grapes to me.

"I didn't win anything so it must be rigged"

Just sayin....
    This does seem to be the heart of the matter!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

Quote Originally Posted by barfownz View Post
    I cant with you anymore than this, Charlie. I've been annoyed and bothered by this since i heard about the promotion. I even walk past the dreamers 5 times just for them to notice me.
    Shaun, don't I remember you saying that you won three different prizes in one day?
    Mike

• Minion

As of today, we are at 4 lanyards and 5 sets of ears here. I think we are well above the 1.5% chance of winning. BTW - I am a single mom of 4 teens/young adults, far from your typical family and I am an APer.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by shadylanestudio View Post
    Having now read the extensive state laws that you graciously passed on to me it is in truth as I expected. Disney can indeed award the prizes to the most “beautiful person” in the park as long as they post the official rules and criteria for winning. They DO have the right to award the prizes to whomever they find to be the winner as long as it is according to their criteria for the sweepstakes.
    Have you read the criteria for this contest? Do you remember the McDonalds fiasco?

• Hiding from the Sheeple

Quote Originally Posted by shadylanestudio View Post
    First, the official rules and regulations make no such allowance for your criteria, so under the current rules, they can't make any such award. Beyond this, I would still argue against your claim above.

Would the contest rule out those who are deemed "ugly" or would it simply allow Disney to give the prize(s) to the person who is the most "beautiful". Who would qualify under these rules as beauty is clearly subject to interpretation? As this contest, under law, would also require mail in entries, would the entrant be required to submit a photograph?

As you will note that the law requires a disclosure of odds -- How would you propose to determine those odds? What about the poor soul who has been told by her mother all her life she is "beautiful" but does not meet the standard of such by those who are running this contest?

I understand the basics of your argument, but your analogy is a bit off. Yes, in basic terms, Disney does have the power to create the rules of any contest or promotion. In the end, the rules created must be able to withstand scrutiny during litigation. Assuming that some are already making a valid argument against the fairness of the current scheme, imagine the nightmare associated with your proposed scheme.

• Minion

This thread boils down to two types of people. The winners and the losers.

People who have won will never see eye to eye with the losers because they have already won something. They are content that they have won their hats or lanyards or fastpasses or whatever. They won't think it's rigged and will think the rest of us complaining about the "giveaway" are just "sour grapes" as thejoshualee stated.

Those of us who have yet to win will continue to complain about this "giveaway" untill we win something. We will continue to loathe the winners who walk around the park in their special hats and lanyards. We will continue to complain about it on Micechat. We can't see what it feels like to be winners because we are not. At least not yet.

It's human nature to be jealous. I wouldn't be so leaous if I won something, but since I haven't and probably never will, I will continue to be jealous and think badly of this "giveaway" as will others I'm sure.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ExJungleSkipper95 View Post
    This thread boils down to two types of people. The winners and the losers.

People who have won will never see eye to eye with the losers because they have already won something. They are content that they have won their hats or lanyards or fastpasses or whatever. They won't think it's rigged and will think the rest of us complaining about the "giveaway" are just "sour grapes" as thejoshualee stated.

Those of us who have yet to win will continue to complain about this "giveaway" untill we win something. We will continue to loathe the winners who walk around the park in their special hats and lanyards. We will continue to complain about it on Micechat. We can't see what it feels like to be winners because we are not. At least not yet.

It's human nature to be jealous. I wouldn't be so leaous if I won something, but since I haven't and probably never will, I will continue to be jealous and think badly of this "giveaway" as will others I'm sure.
    Have you tried the mail in contest? They can't see what you look like, and the odds appear to be slightly better than the average of 1.5% at the park.

BTW - My not feeling this is rigged to only the good looking, "Disney Family Type" goes back before I won anything. Even though I didnt win while at Disneyland, I knew the odds were way out of favor.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ExJungleSkipper95 View Post
    As far as I can see, here are the requirements for winning any prize:

1.) ticket purchasing guest (no annual passholders)

2.) english speaking american

3.) large prizes, such as the Mickey suite must be awarded to white, middle class families that are required to have a mother, father, son and daughter ( cute puppy golden retreiver optional).

4.) All prized must be given out before noon. Anyone entering the park after 12:00 PM does not qualify.

5) Winning guest must be attractive

6) Dream parking spaces are to be given out to random guests in the park. If the guest has already parked their vehicle, which they probably already have, then the prize is void.
    Thats how i see the happening.

• Winter in Oceanside...

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    As of today, we are at 4 lanyards and 5 sets of ears here. I think we are well above the 1.5% chance of winning.
    Wow! You must be extremely lucky! What is your secret? Maybe you should head to Vegas and win something worth winning!

• no flash photography...

all I know is I have never gotten anything ...except a pin by a regular CM...and I have never even seen the dream team. Personally I do not like the promotion, but I love hearing how people who do not go all the time win...like my co-worker. that was pretty cool.

I am an APer and fortunate to win a Dream Fastpass.

In fact, on a recent visit, I sat next to a couple who were on their 60th wedding anniversary and they won the Fastpasses. They asked me what they were for and I explained that they could just walk on Big Thunder. Since they were in their 80s they decided that Pirates would be more their speed. All they had to do is to walk through the Frontierland gate.

Here is my issue with this promotion. Does it drive attendance? Probably not. Does it raise expectations from some of the park's most intense guests (APers and those who pay attention to these things). Probably so. The more you know, the more you will feel frustrated. Is this a good thing? Not really. But my biggest issue is that the little things that used to make Disneyland so special are now part of a MBA staffer's spreadsheet and the truly random acts of kindness must be processed, forms filled out, and the legal boxes checked. Once this promotion ends, the idea of giving anything away will be shelved so they don't "burn out the promotion".

I get the idea of viral marketing. This is just a dumb way to do it that may have long term negative consequences. Of course, anything beyond the next quarter is long term and does anybody really care anymore?

Just a thought.

Sam

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast