Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Is anybody else bothered by the non-random nature of Year of a Million Dreams?

One of the things that I've been bothered by with the "Year Of A Million Dreams" promotion currently being pushed at Disneyland is the way the promotion is being offered, i.e. the "Dream Team" approaches some guest "randomly" and showers them with different prizes.

For some reason, there is a little voice in me asking, "Why did they get picked and not someone else?"

It seems to me that once you ad the human element into a process that includes giving out gifts, that the potential for personal prejudices can creep into the decision making process, thereby potentially tainting the entire promotion.

Are you comfortable with the current process, or would you like to see it offered in a more "truly random" way such as automatically winning via computer at the gate when entering the Park?
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Me and Tommy Kirk

Re: Is anybody else bothered by the non-random nature of Year of a Million Dreams?

Hi Charlie,

I have a friend who is a long time Tour Guide at the park. I asked him about that recently and he said that it's totally random, but each dream team member gets a list of places and times where the winner should be picked. For instance, when the park opens, the CM will be told to look for a person sitting on the left end of the bench facing City Hall, or choose the person standing third in line at the popcorn cart at 10:00am. They're very specific about settings, but not the actual people themselves.

He also told me that most of the prizes are given by the middle of the day, and if you get there at "rope drop" they hand out a certain amount of fastpasses until they run out.

I like your gate idea though. I won more prizes at the 30th anniversary!

• It's all nonsense

Re: Is anybody else bothered by the non-random nature of Year of a Million Dreams?

So you think that even though the Master Control Program tells the Dream Squad where to go/who to pick that there is still some sort of bias?

All I know is that when I'm there just by myself, I'm not likely to get anything.

• white and nerdy

I won some fastpasses, and it was just me, my brother and our friend, looking like a bunch of punks in home made t-shirts that said "Fruedland: Where all your dreams come true." and a somewhat phallic castle tower.

If they have biases about who gets prizes, I don't think I would have gotten one that day.

I, for one, love the year of a million dreams. I've won twice so far (and I don't go as often as some of you southern California folk).

The swan things I am squarely neutral over, but the giving random little perks to guests, I love.

I remember the 30th party. My brother won a VHS of Alice in Wonderland. But the gate prize idea is sort of... I don't know... Door-prizeish. Like a church bingo night or something... I don't know. I've never been to a church bingo night, but it seems that door prizes would be part of it.

Also... if there is a cast member who just hates... oh, I don't know.... Gay Italian Geriatrics, and they one day don't follow their instructions to give this person a free hat... it's unfortunate, especially if this fella likes free hats. but not a blight on the entire celebration... is it?
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Former Epcot CM

Meh. Its the way it goes.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

Things are not fair at Disneyland nor do they have to be. The gifts are theirs to give out as they see fit. If you were going to give away something at your house, would you like someone coming to you and saying you are not fair to give that gift to anyone but me? You get to choose “who” the gift goes to and “how” you give it out. It's yours. You are in control of what you own and it is not my divine right to demand you to be fair! Does that make you right? As far as I’m concerned, no. As far as the giver is concerned everything is fair. You own what’s being given away so what is fair is up to you. Sorry, but it's the same way for Disney. They can choose to gift the most photogenic and beautiful person in the park everyday of the week. They own it, they can give out as they see fit. What is the best answer for you and I? We don’t have to go to the park if we can’t live with it!

• white and nerdy

Quote Originally Posted by shadylanestudio View Post
    Things are not fair at Disneyland nor do they have to be. The gifts are theirs to give out as they see fit. If you were going to give away something at your house, would you like someone coming to you and saying you are not fair to give that gift to anyone but me? You get to choose “who” the gift goes to and “how” you give it out. It's yours. You are in control of what you own and it is not my divine right to demand you to be fair! Does that make you right? As far as I’m concerned, no. As far as the giver is concerned everything is fair. You own what’s being given away so what is fair is up to you. Sorry, but it's the same way for Disney. They can choose to gift the most photogenic and beautiful person in the park everyday of the week. They own it, they can give out as they see fit. What is the best answer for you and I? We don’t have to go to the park if we can’t live with it!
    Well, I don't think I'd go so far as to say that.... I don't want them just to give it to who they want... at Disneyland, which is way different than my house, they want to create a fantasy that you could win something great. Keep it random... I guess I think it is random enough already.

Besides, there is something about winning and having a large group of people congratulate you with big smiles on their faces. It's fun.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Rock Star Minion

I thought we've all been bothered by it since its inception.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Hiding in the shadows

I guess I wouldnt be bothered as much if the first two families winning stays in the suites weren't so "Disney Average American Family". I realize there are many families that visit both parks (DL and WDW) that have a boy a girl and are form the midwest. I have yet to win anything at the parks, but it does seem even though things are random because of the choosen times, location, etc there is still the factor that many guests dont understand the promotion and those that do take advantage (i.e. running when they see the dream team to try to get whatever it is they are giving out). Being that I am quite shy, I doubt I would run up to them to try to get a prize.

I think awarding at the gate would be better and truely more random. Since right now the computer picks, if I dont go on a ride or location that is picked that day I may have no chance of winning. Everyone comes through the gate so its more of a equal chance.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
    So you think that even though the Master Control Program tells the Dream Squad where to go/who to pick that there is still some sort of bias?
    "**IO error**MCP bias questioned**default334%asp.err144** Your puny flesh will now be shutdown"
    "Sark!!!"

• n/a

Quote Originally Posted by thejoshualee View Post

Also... if there is a cast member who just hates... oh, I don't know.... Gay Italian Geriatrics
    hey hey hey! Leave GIGs out of this!
    “Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die.” ~ Mel Brooks

Wink Re: Is anybody else bothered by the non-random nature of Year of a Million Dreams?

Quote Originally Posted by thejoshualee View Post
    Well, I don't think I'd go so far as to say that.... I don't want them just to give it to who they want... at Disneyland, which is way different than my house, they want to create a fantasy that you could win something great. Keep it random... I guess I think it is random enough already.

Besides, there is something about winning and having a large group of people congratulate you with big smiles on their faces. It's fun.
    You are correct, your house is different than Disneyland, otherwise we would go to your house and ride the rollercoaster. But, this was not my point. My position is that Disney can do whatever they want with what they own. We can choose not to go if we disagree. This is the wonders of America!

• Minion

So if there is bias agains GIGs then is there also bias against CMs (confused middle-aged) ?
    “Any sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, that’s when the magic really happens": Modern Family

• Hiding from the Sheeple

Quote Originally Posted by shadylanestudio View Post
    Actually, your interpretation is a bit off. Regardless of who owns the prizes and the property, there are extensive state and federal laws regarding promotions that include some form of giveaway, sweepstakes, lottery, game of chance, etc.

The current system to award said prizes has been put into place in order to satisfy Disney's requirements under law and is an attempt to thwart possible future litigation from those who feel the prize was awarded in an unfair or unbalanced manner. Under this current public promotion and sweepstakes, Disney does NOT have the right to award prizes to the most "beautiful person" in the park as you allege.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast