Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

LA Times T.J. Simers on his recent visit to Disneyland

The main LA Times Sports Columnist, T.J. Simers visited Disneyland recently and wrote about it in today's column. FYI, his daughter is one of the folks on the XTRA 570 Sports Radio morning show.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...adlines-sports

I SHOULD have taken the hint when Peyton Manning made no mention of going to Disneyland after winning the Super Bowl.

Last week the whole family went. We arrived in separate cars, of course, because after the summer's RV trip, we know what it's like to be together.

Now I don't like rides. Haven't been on one since I was a youngster and I screamed to my grandfather to hold onto me because I was about to fall out while riding the Bobs, a killer rollercoaster at Chicago's Riverview Park. I'll never forget grandpa's response: "Kid, it's every man for himself."

Twenty-some years ago I took Miss Radio Personality to Disneyland — long before she had developed a mouth. We walked from one end of the park to the other and looked at all the rides. It's what any parent would do for their kid.

She now talks about being deprived as a child, visiting Disneyland but never going on a ride. I wouldn't be surprised one day to see her on Dr. Phil.

Anyway, we got to Disneyland and right away Miss Radio is telling the granddaughter that G.P. won't go on a ride with her. And she wonders why she's not married.

Anything for the granddaughter, of course, so I went. And let me just say I was not the only one who went kicking and screaming onto It's a Small World.

Scariest ride they've probably got at Disneyland, and halfway through the tunnel lined with pygmies, our boat hit rock bottom because we had too many fat people aboard.

Two of our friends from Wisconsin had joined us.

Just imagine sitting there, minute after minute, and hearing that terrifying refrain, "It's a small, small world." And again, "It's a small, small world." And again.

No telling how long we were stuck, boat after boat pulling up behind us, and when we finally did get moving, around every corner there were more pygmies. Biggest darn world I've ever seen.

I'm the grandkid's G.P., of course, so I had to remain brave through the ordeal, although knowing I was probably undergoing the same treatment designed to crack war-time prisoners: "It's a small, small world." "It's a small, small world."

The granddaughter, fortunately, was preoccupied, asking over and over again for "Mow, Mow, Mow." I told her we'd find the furry little critter, and as they continued to play that song, I was thinking of the glue traps I had set in the garage.

We finally made it to safety, and Miss Radio Personality immediately wanted everyone to go on Pirates of the Caribbean. "Daughters Who Want To Get Back At Their Fathers," on the next Dr. Phil.

I went, I was not prepared for the initial dip into the abyss, the water we took on or the wet butt for the rest of the day. The happiest place on earth my … well, we eventually did find the Mow, the granddaughter cried and I think I understand now why Manning called an audible and broke the Super Bowl tradition.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Hiding in the shadows

Re: LA Times T.J. Simers on his recent visit to Disneyland

Thanks for the article, IASW is always bad when you get stuck, poor guy. But with small children its a give and take, at least if you get stuck for a bit it gets you out of "can we go again"?

• Minion

Wow....and this guy writes for the LA Times? I could have written a better article in my sleep!

• Bring Me Two Piña Coladas

Simers is a moron. JA Adande is a much better sports journalist.
    Three-time MVP Larry Bird, noting that Bryant has been the NBA's premier player for years, told Sports Illustrated's Dan Patrick before this week's announcement, "When someone told me the other day that Kobe hadn't won an MVP trophy, it sort of made me feel like I wanted to throw mine away."

• Neep meep beep

Uh, interesting. To the extent that it actually makes sense, that is.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Pointless journalism.

• Lost in Wonderland

^ I agree. It was hard to follow. Besides IASW isn't that bad because it was so boring for my Dad he fell asleep on it when I was a kid. It was a way for him to relax, lol.

I know some people are afraid of rides, but why didn't he take his daughter as a kid on any of the rides at Disneyland? That just seems well, weird!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by adormouse View Post
    ^ I agree. It was hard to follow. Besides IASW isn't that bad because it was so boring for my Dad he fell asleep on it when I was a kid. It was a way for him to relax, lol.

I know some people are afraid of rides, but why didn't he take his daughter as a kid on any of the rides at Disneyland? That just seems well, weird!
    Child abuse!

• Lost in Wonderland

Quote Originally Posted by ExJungleSkipper95 View Post
    Child abuse!
    I would probably go on Dr. Phil too if my parents took me to Disneyland but didn't take me on any rides! XD

• Let's all go . . .

649.8 miles from the Happiest Place on Earth!

I would definitely call that being deprived if you went to Disneyland without riding on the rides. That's like taking your kids to the pool and not letting them swim.

• Tom Chaney R.I. P.

Now I don't like rides.
    I just love it when someone who does not like rides writes a review of rides. I don't live in LA so I don't know anything about this guy but he sounds like a real nut case. If he hates rides why go on them.
    THIS SPACE FOR SALE OR LEASE

PRESIDENT OF THE DISNEYLAND LOOP LOVERS ASSOCIATION

• Cretan

A grade school grammar teacher would have run out of red ink in her pen after marking up that dribble.
    Stop being greedy.

"The fact is, squire, the moment a man takes to a pipe, he becomes a philosopher. It's the poor man's friend; it calms the mind, soothes the temper, and makes a man patient under difficulties. It has made more good men, good husbands, kind masters, indulgent fathers, than any other blessed thing on this universal earth."
    -"Sam Slick, the clockmaker"

• Rock Star Minion

A lot of what he writes is about the image he's trying to project. Reading only one column will not give you the proper image.
    So, this column is likely to be perceived out of context.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Pointless journalism.
    Agreed. Written like a 7th grader for a class project.

• Tom Chaney R.I. P.

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    A lot of what he writes is about the image he's trying to project. Reading only one column will not give you the proper image.
    So, this column is likely to be perceived out of context.
    So what is the image he is trying to project?
    If you can not make a statement in one artical, then what good is it.
    THIS SPACE FOR SALE OR LEASE

PRESIDENT OF THE DISNEYLAND LOOP LOVERS ASSOCIATION

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast