Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Barbossa on the Wicked Wench

Ok.
    First of all...I have not yet experienced the ride with the movie additions.
    In fact, we visited Disneyland last year purposefully to ride Pirates BEFORE the refurb and additions so that my son could experience it as it was...
    I have no problem with the additions unlike so many...and I actually think they are great and wonderful adds to the ride that will resonate with a whole new movie-going generation.

BUT...

What's up with Barbossa? Every single picture I've seen of the NEW Captain of the Wicked Wench looks (frankly) terrible. His hair is too light ...almost light blond...and the face just doesn't look like Rush at all.
    I understand the complexities in bringing a audio-animatronic to life, and believe me...the Disney Imagineers are TOP NOTCH and I'd never pretend to second guess them.

In fact, I'm sure that the hair on the Barbossa figure is an exact match in color, texture and style to the hair that was used on Rush in the films....it's THAT level of detail.

They would not make a mistake.

So why then does it look so...different?
    My only conclusion is that it looks better (and darker) in person. I hope. I'll be able to see for myself this June (our next planned trip) but I can't shake the feeling that I'll be thinking...cool...but who is that on the Wicked Wench?

I wouldn't care so much...but Barbossa is my favorite Pirate from the films. I just want to see him done right.
    (even the new paintings in the entrance to the attraction has DARKER hair than what appears on the ride) Sorry, but this really bugs me.
    -Prof. Griffin

• It's all nonsense

Re: Barbossa on the Wicked Wench

Yeah he doesn't look great. The AA looks like Barbossa as a senior citizen IMO.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ProfGriffin View Post
    My only conclusion is that it looks better (and darker) in person. I hope. I'll be able to see for myself this June (our next planned trip) but I can't shake the feeling that I'll be thinking...cool...but who is that on the Wicked Wench?
    It doesn't look any better in person.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
    Yeah he doesn't look great. The AA looks like Barbossa as a senior citizen IMO.
    I agree. Barbossa was a disappointment to me as well. I was hoping to have my favorite character well-represented.
    Maybe they accidentally used the AA from the new Indy 4 movie enhancements to The Temple of the Forbidden Eye (again, another bad joke on my part--apologies all around, especially those who now believe there are going to be ride enhancements to Indy)??

• Indy's Faithful Friend

Thumbs down Re: Barbossa on the Wicked Wench

The Geoffrey Rush (or "Cassanova Frankenstien" if you prefer) figure is the "enhancement" I've found the hardest to accept. It doesn't really look like him even with the regular attraction lighting. And, worst of all, they took out one of the most iconic animatronics to do it. The original "Blackbeard" figure is the real captain of the Wicked Wench in my book. I hope he forms a mutiny to re-take the ship

Ok, I was afraid of this.

But I don't understand...I mean, it's a simple fix (in my opinion). Just darken his hair and beard...I'm sure the face was modeled after Rush (and in the DMC DVD extra, he was shown his sculpt and seemed pleased. In fact, the sculpt looked fine.

The hair and paint department seems to be the ones to look at and ask..."uh...why?"

Seriously, what's with the light colored hair?

• Me and Tommy Kirk

On the DVD special feature, he really does resemble Geoffrey Rush, but once they added hair, beard, costume,etc. It completely changed. Really, it would be easy to fix, and I think I'm wishing they would've hired the make-up people from the movie to dress him up.

That last Jack on the way out of the attraction could use some help as well. His face is so flat!

Quote Originally Posted by Sallah View Post
    The Geoffrey Rush (or "Cassanova Frankenstien" if you prefer) figure is the "enhancement" I've found the hardest to accept. It doesn't really look like him even with the regular attraction lighting. And, worst of all, they took out one of the most iconic animatronics to do it. The original "Blackbeard" figure is the real captain of the Wicked Wench in my book. I hope he forms a mutiny to re-take the ship

LOL. I Loved his Cassanova Frankenstein...very funny stuff.

Yeah, I felt for the old Captain of the Wench. So much so, that I wrote an essay from HIS point of view. It's posted deep on these forums somewhere...I'd be glad to repost it if it isn't.

• The Ghost Poster.

Totally agree. Barbossa was a real let down. When I was in the ride and it stopped because there were so many boats that day, I kept wondering who it was. It wasn't until I got out the ride that I smacked my head and knew.

I'm hoping someday they'll just put Blackbeard back. He looked and sounded a lot better.. Well, Better than " Arrr! Where is Captain Jack Sparrow!!?? ".

" Doombuggies: The scariest transportation around! "

• Pirata del Caribe

Well, I have to see the new ride.
    But I have seen some pictures of the new addings, Jack, Barbosa, Davy Jones , and it looked OK, for an ainmatronics, I canīt say Barbosa is or heīs not like Geoffrey.

Certainly I wonder why they never can make the darker hair.
    So in the movies, black-hair charecter are always blonde XDD

But anyway, itīs Barbosa after all, and Barbosa is Geoffrey Rush no one else, the model represent him.

• Indy's Faithful Friend

Talking Re: Barbossa on the Wicked Wench

Strong essay. The real captain would be proud.

Good to see you picked on the Mystery Men reference too!

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

We want the Blackbeard! We want the Blackbeard!

• Fight On for ol' SC!

Ok.
    First of all...I have not yet experienced the ride with the movie additions.
    In fact, we visited Disneyland last year purposefully to ride Pirates BEFORE the refurb and additions so that my son could experience it as it was...
    I have no problem with the additions unlike so many...and I actually think they are great and wonderful adds to the ride that will resonate with a whole new movie-going generation.

BUT...

What's up with Barbossa? Every single picture I've seen of the NEW Captain of the Wicked Wench looks (frankly) terrible. His hair is too light ...almost light blond...and the face just doesn't look like Rush at all.
    I understand the complexities in bringing a audio-animatronic to life, and believe me...the Disney Imagineers are TOP NOTCH and I'd never pretend to second guess them.

In fact, I'm sure that the hair on the Barbossa figure is an exact match in color, texture and style to the hair that was used on Rush in the films....it's THAT level of detail.

They would not make a mistake.

So why then does it look so...different?

I wouldn't care so much...but Barbossa is my favorite Pirate from the films. I just want to see him done right.
    (even the new paintings in the entrance to the attraction has DARKER hair than what appears on the ride) Sorry, but this really bugs me.
    -Prof. Griffin

Well it's kinda funny but these are all the reasons I like the new captain barbossa. I think he was the best done AA in the new ride. He blends in well and doesn't make you think you are in a Hollywood Ride. As many of you may know my distaste for the new ride I can't help but think Barbossa was the most well done new AA in the ride. Cap Jack is horrible, he is placed in so many wierd places. Now one AA in the distance under a purple sheet would be nice but no they put him looking like a chicken hiding from other piratres like the pirates hate him as much as I do. Well you got me off on a tangent so I'll end it here and say bring the old ride back and put the "Yo Ho Yo Ho" song back into the first drop corridor.

Wait a minute...

The first ghostly strains of Yo Ho are not head after the first drop anymore?
    What the...?

Has anything taken it's place or is it just gone? I wonder what that's all about?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast