Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: No love for the awesome Alice in Wonderland redo?!

Does anyone know if there are plans to improve the other dark rides in similar ways. Aside from Peter Pan,(PERFECT AS IS) they could all use a little tweeking, especailly the fireplace inside toad. I remember when the new Toad opened in 83, and how awesome that fireplace was, but over time it has worn down , and no longer is as affective as it once was. Needs to be redone. Also, the Blue Fairy in the final Pinochio scene has seen better days.

• Banned User

you know i have been to disneyland three times and never rode alice. but this next trip it will be on top of my list. sounds cool!

I remember riding Alice on my trip three years ago and I thought it was rather crude by modern standards. I didn't know it was renovated, but when I rode it last month I was amazed at how fresh it looked. Disney did an awesome job in making something old look new and vibrant again.

i've always thought it's the most underrated 'exclusive-to-Disneyland' attraction.....

Quote Originally Posted by kayoss View Post
    i've always thought it's the most underrated 'exclusive-to-Disneyland' attraction.....
    absolutely!!!!

the down-the-rabbit-hole sequence in the start (with the talking doorknob) is particularly satisfying. Anyone know why in the world this ride was never duplicated? Seems a bit.... well..... mad

Well, the reason for its strange second story design is that it was built to fill in unoccupied space above mr toad, that lay empty for a few years after the park first opened, because Peter Pan required two stories, to fly over London, and toad only needed one story for its show elements. The building was built two stories tall all around, hense the extra space. Maybe part of the reason why Alice was never duplicated is beacuse Disney did not repeat the empty space "happy accident" when it built future parks. Or maybe not, who knows

Quote Originally Posted by DCLyndon View Post
    Does anyone know if there are plans to improve the other dark rides in similar ways. Aside from Peter Pan,(PERFECT AS IS) they could all use a little tweeking, especailly the fireplace inside toad. I remember when the new Toad opened in 83, and how awesome that fireplace was, but over time it has worn down , and no longer is as affective as it once was. Needs to be redone. Also, the Blue Fairy in the final Pinochio scene has seen better days.
    I am happy about the changes in the Alice ride and hope all the attractions in fantasyland get some TLC.

I like that they can use actual animation from the movies on the rides through digital projections/screens. Also the effects like the fireplace on toad and the waterfall in peter pan could be upgraded to great effect.

I have noticed that some of the dark rides being built around the world by companies like Sally Corp and Halloween Productions use new style vehicles (http://www.etf.nl/ride/ride.htm) that are track less and move along wire embedded in the ground and the vehicles can stop, rotate and change speed. I think these vehicles would give some more life to rides like Snow White and Pinocchio. The vehicles can also have paths that cross over each other so the direction they take can also go in more random seeming ways. Imagine as you pass the cottage of the seven dwarfs you quickly swing around and the witch tries hands you an apple then your vehicle speeds away into the darkness. It would be very cool.

• DLR...

Thanks for the videos, I can't wait to see the updates on the ride

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Ah, yet another reason to go back next year! Alice in Wonderland is one of those funny rides that, as a relative newcomer, you don't naturally gravitate towards. Like many of the Fantasyland dark rides, it is very easy to walk past it and that is a shame. We rode it relatively late in our stay (Day 3 or 4 I believe), but I'll definitely give it another spin when we return next year. Between POTC, HM, Monsters Inc, the Subs and the other minor changes, there will be so much new stuff for me it will be virtually like going to another park!
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Rode this last night... loved the upgrades! It looked very sharp and clear and fun... and the cards were marching again!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• FastPass n00b

I don't want to jump to conclusions, but this (and the rest of the small, but meaningful, upgrades) seems like it's the work of Greg Emmer. John Lasseter is far too busy with animation and the long-term success of DCA, and I don't think Ed and his boss could even care less about upgrades like this. This just has Greg Emmer's fingerprints all over it I think. I know he probably didn't design it, but he probably spearheaded it in another department. Whoever is doing these minor upgrades to the park needs to be commended, because it's these little surprises that you don't hear about in advertisements that hit you the most since they are completely unexpected.

Rode it today, and I think it really is my favorite dark ride. Even the door to the rose garden was working.

• Older Than Dirt

That's great news that they've done these upgrades and maintenance to this ride. Peter Pan is my favorite in Fantasyland with Alice in Wonderland a very close second. Who knows, with the upgrades, maybe it will overtake PP! Looking forward to riding it next trip to Disneyland!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

If there are any upgrades to PPF I think it will be mostly concentrated on the ride vehicles. They can't take too much weight so any upgrades I think will be focused on improving this. Maybe they will do some upgrades to the show elements, but I don't think it will be too much.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast