Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no-fly zone?

• Prefect

Blog Entries

Question no-fly zone?

i was at DL today & roughly 20 minutes before the fireworks were to start, 2 helicopters (at least one obviously military) flew over the castle. it freaked me out as i thought there was a no-fly zone over the entire DLR area. anyone have any info? i'm not sure if this was a big deal or not, but i sure felt my stomach drop when i saw them!

• CM for 4 years!

Helicopters are very different from jets. I'd say that you oughta feel nervous if a jet gets too close. One morning/afternoon (about noonish) I was in the park and definitely saw a plane fly overhead, around Main Street/The Hub... and that bothered me. But a heli could be any number of things, from filming a problem to a news program, to aerial shots of the fireworks for promo tapes.

And I'm pretty sure if a police copter has to cross to pursue some kind of suspect, they will.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• Fireworks Finatic!

I always noticed helicopters flying around while waiting for the fireworks. A lot of them appear to be Police helicopters because they have the light beam shining down from them. I have wondered do they all know to keep away from Disneyland by a certain time each night? It would be interesting to know if anyone out there has information about this. Also, one time I overheard someone say Disneyland has their own plane they fly around each night before the fireworks begin to make sure the air space is clear. Wonder if there is any truth to this?

• Skipping on Main Street

Under the stairs at Main St. train station
    Disneyland is no longer considered a no fly zone
    Well Secluded, I see all!!!

Disney Paranormal Society

• Looking for Love

Quote Originally Posted by Old_School_Goofy
    Disneyland is no longer considered a no fly zone
    You can't be serious!... Hes not serious....... Is he serious? :confused:

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Derekuda
    You can't be serious!... Hes not serious....... Is he serious? :confused:
    Yup, Disneyland is no longer a no-fly zone. This has been like that for over 10 years I believe. The FAA has to be contacted prior to a fireworks/laser display and they will divert planes accordingly. I'm sure DL and the FAA have some plan in order since Remember will be on everynight weather permitting.

• Looking for Love

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Newseditor44
    Yup, Disneyland is no longer a no-fly zone. This has been like that for over 10 years I believe. The FAA has to be contacted prior to a fireworks/laser display and they will divert planes accordingly. I'm sure DL and the FAA have some plan in order since Remember will be on everynight weather permitting.
    What a shame.....Thats just one more thing to pull you out of the Disneyland Magic and back into reality.

• That's Hawt

I remember for a while, after 9/11 they made it a no-fly zone again ... but now it's back to a fly-ok zone.
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

• Again! Again! Again!

I, too, was under the impression that DL was a no-fly zone after 9-11. This is the first I've heard that it wasn't. Hmmmm. Lots of helicopters fly over. UCI Medical is only a few miles away and there could be LifeFlight taking that direct route.
    Founding member of the B.A. I LOVE US!!
    FratSor Sister-Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ
    I bring the magic!!!
    "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend DMother
    Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MiceMan
    I remember for a while, after 9/11 they made it a no-fly zone again ... but now it's back to a fly-ok zone.
    You know, I don't know. I do know that military or police are exempt from that. There have been a couple of times where military jets fly by. As for news helicopters- I have no idea...guess I have to ask my husband. But I'm sure its ok for KABC as they are all owned by Disney.

I used to work in a building that was on the Homeland Security List- I believe it was #1 on the LA/OC list. Planes ocassionally flew by but the area was on the LAX flightpath so nothing really could be done otherwise. I do know that each Dodger opening game they would have a couple of military planes do a fly by. Well one day they practiced and it was a year after 9-11 and everyone in the building FREAKED out...they changed the flightpath of the fly-bys now.

• -Going Retro-

According to FAA's website: "Because it is considered a potential terrorist target, Disneyland is protected by a security TFR issued under section 99.7"

More info

• Who's your DaddyB?

99.7? I used to listen to that station! I had no idea they were involved with National Security!
    ---------------------------------------------

a walk around the park... Star Tours, Nemo, Fantasyland, Frontierland, DCA... and more!

• Hooterville, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Disguy
    According to FAA's website: "Because it is considered a potential terrorist target, Disneyland is protected by a security TFR issued under section 99.7"

More info
    Good post. As far as military helicopters go, I think they are using the freeway as a guide. We did back in the 70's.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Senior Minion

I suspect that you have to get clearance in order to transit the space unless you're military or law enforcement. It's probably closed to general aviation other than anything Disney Corporate that's going in or out of the TDA building.

I am with everyone else, I thought Disneyland was a no fly zone. Another thing that they could use for checked whick planes/helicopters are over head is rader.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast