Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thumbs up Re: 25 Hour Disneyland 25th Tickets Now On Sale!

and from midnite to 8am, it was NOT curb-to-curb Guests! the private party was sold out indeed, but, they had a limit on tickets sold and it was VERY comfortable ... that is until 8am the next morning and the gates were opened to the Guests coming in for the day.

it was so cool!

at midnight, in the cover of darkness, a helicopter hovered HIGH up in the air with its lights darkened. we could hear it, but could not see it. the Kids of the Kingdom were on a beautiful blue and silver reflective float the encircled the hub and spelled out D i s n e y l a n d. the music stopped and a countdown began. Mickey and Minnie appEARed on the balcony of Sleeping Beaty Castle and joined in singing Happy Birthday to Disneyland and for the duration of that sonf, a giant blue and silver PYRO 25th anniversary logo ignited as it was suspended from that secret helicopter.

later that day, Town Square was the place to be as, precisely at 3pm, the Opening Day dedication was re-created along with a release of beautiful white doves, blue and silver balloons and the playing of Walt's famous speech. soon, the Marine Corps Honor Guard and Band led the fabulous 25th anniversary celebration parade down Main Street. among the memorable units was the lead float with the fab five, 8 HUGE black Percherons pulling the most massive REAL blue and silver circus caliopy, and units representing each of the lands of that era.

i also have saved all of that amazing memorabilia and am so grateful for those happy lifetime memories -- and for the dedication of Ron Domiguez, Jack Lundquist, Dick Nunis and thousands of other Cast Members during that incredible homecoming celebration.

Re: 25 Hour Disneyland 25th Tickets Now On Sale!

Quote Originally Posted by Kath2188 View Post
    Back then the Park was close to extinction (pre the 80's when the Bass family tried to do a nostile buy out of Disney and pre Eisner salvation). I think they felt fortunate to get the performers and the people to buy the tickets.
    I'm sorry, but all of that is totally false. Better re-check your history and facts.

• Banned User

it was pre eisner that's why it was such a big deal. He would never have spent that kind of money. funny thing is, disney has a cable channel as well as abc and neither of them did anything for the 50th. Now that's sad.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by MinionLumbo View Post
    and from midnite to 8am, it was NOT curb-to-curb Guests! the private party was sold out indeed, but, they had a limit on tickets sold and it was VERY comfortable ... that is until 8am the next morning and the gates were opened to the Guests coming in for the day.

it was so cool!

at midnight, in the cover of darkness, a helicopter hovered HIGH up in the air with its lights darkened. we could hear it, but could not see it. the Kids of the Kingdom were on a beautiful blue and silver reflective float the encircled the hub and spelled out D i s n e y l a n d. the music stopped and a countdown began. Mickey and Minnie appEARed on the balcony of Sleeping Beaty Castle and joined in singing Happy Birthday to Disneyland and for the duration of that sonf, a giant blue and silver PYRO 25th anniversary logo ignited as it was suspended from that secret helicopter.

later that day, Town Square was the place to be as, precisely at 3pm, the Opening Day dedication was re-created along with a release of beautiful white doves, blue and silver balloons and the playing of Walt's famous speech. soon, the Marine Corps Honor Guard and Band led the fabulous 25th anniversary celebration parade down Main Street. among the memorable units was the lead float with the fab five, 8 HUGE black Percherons pulling the most massive REAL blue and silver circus caliopy, and units representing each of the lands of that era.

i also have saved all of that amazing memorabilia and am so grateful for those happy lifetime memories -- and for the dedication of Ron Domiguez, Jack Lundquist, Dick Nunis and thousands of other Cast Members during that incredible homecoming celebration.
    Sounds like a night to remember. As much fun as the 50th was, its a shame that it couldn't be as incredible as these events were!

Quote Originally Posted by Uzmati View Post
    WHO in the World were Skiles and Henderson?
    You've already read some of who they were at that web site. But they were also two of the very first Disneyland Tour Guides. This was before there was a formal Tour Guide program and the guides were sort of just winging it. Skiles and Henderson would always dress up funny and also plan on having each one's group pass each other several times during their tours, and when both groups came together they'd launch into hysterical routines before splitting up and continuing on with their tours. The Guests loved it but someone at Disneyland didn't, and they only lasted as Guides about 2 weeks.

Perhaps they were just too "far out" for Disneyland?

From that they went on to perform as comedians at various locations throughout the Park. They were really funny guys and they did poke a lot of fun at Disneyland and their employer...but Walt loved every minute of it and so did the Guests.

They later became rather famous on various TV Variety Shows, and during the peak of their fame they made several guest appearances back at Disneyland...to delighted crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by Uzmati
    Anyone remember what the 25th Anniversary Meal was?

The Opus Archives remembers what the free birthday meals were and where they were served:

Quote Originally Posted by MinionLumbo
    it was so cool!
    Indeed it was:

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Sounds like a night to remember. As much fun as the 50th was, its a shame that it couldn't be as incredible as these events were!
    Back then things like this were done more for genuine celebration and more for the Guests...than the national Press Event things they've turned into today. There was no doubt back then that these events were for The Guests!
    Last edited by Opus1guy; 02-24-2007 at 02:52 AM.

• Mousketeer

I was there also. Skiles and Henderson performed at the tomorrowland terrace. I remember watching them. It was a great night.

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

I remember that Billy Preston and Syreeta show. It was where Honey I Shrunk the Audience is now. I think. Pre-Eo days. I think they played more than once, though, 'cause in 1980, there's no way I was there between 12:30 am and 5:30 am.
    Fight On! Beat the Utes!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
    The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Quote Originally Posted by Circarama View Post
    I don't know why I can't see your links Sir Opus1guy. I really wanted to see those pics of your warehouse (in another thread)and all I get is little boxes with x's in them.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaa
    Um... never mind.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Defying gravity

I was there for the 50th...does that count?

Seriously...I think an event like this would be even more popular now. Do I hear 60 hours for the 60th?!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12