• Embrace the kitsch!

Question AA's and Polaris missiles

I read somewhere that the technology for Audio Animatronics was developed for the Polaris missile system and Walt snapped it up when it was declassified. For the life of me, I can't see a link. How do you go from missiles to Mr. Lincoln? What exactly was it about the Polaris that made Walt sit up and, "Hey, that would be perfect for..."? Was it something w/ the guidance system?
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

Re: AA's and Polaris missiles

Walt told that pretty young tour guide on the 1965 Wonderful World of Color episode where he introduced the Pirates of the Caribbean that "The same technology that guides rockets to the moon" makes the animatronics in the Tiki Room and upcoming Disneyland attractions work. The tour guide look dutifully impressed for the national TV audience at this statement by Mr. Disney.

So obviously there was a connection there somewhere. It could be something as basic as the PLC's that run the hydraulic valves on the robots were based on the PLC's that monitored the rocket timing and valve operation.

It's actually related to the name, "Audio-Animatronics". The system originally used audio signals on tape to electronically control the mechanical animation, and this technique is the same as that used for firing torpedoes at the time.

The "Audio" in "Audio-Animatronics" is a misnomer because computers are used for all the puppetry, today. But, Disney has registered the term as a trademark since the company did not have the foresight to protect the coined word, "animatronics", itself.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 02-25-2007 at 03:33 AM.

• Rookie

I've got a transcript somewhere of Marty Sklar during a Q&A panel at the opening day of Star Tours in January 1987, and he is talking about how the use of real-world technology (like the aviation flight simulators that were develeoped into Star Tours) was something Walt had been doing back in his day, such as taking the declassified technology that 'opened the hatches' on the Polaris submarines and turning it into the way the animatronics worked. I can locate the exact wording if anyone's interested.

Lex

This lightbulb uses the same technology that guides rockets to the moon.