Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Are you an Itís a Small World, Advocate or Critic???

Hello fellow micechatters. This is my first post. I am very happy to be a part of this group, as I am among my own kind, as a huge Walt Disney fan.

On that note, I have noticed while reading many of the posts on this site, that many of you absolutely loathe Itís a Small World. I find this hard to believe. How could someone who calls themself a Disney fan hate this classic attraction? I understand that the main reason for this negativity is the title song itself. But to me, this song is wonderful, and I could never get sick of it. Perhaps if todayís World leaders would ride this attraction and have this song stuck in their heads, the world would be far better off, no? Bravo Shermans! But aside from this, the song is an important part of my childhood. It is one of the first songís I can remember hearing. It represents an important message of hope, peace, love and childhood imagination, all the wonderful things that I love so much about the Disney Company. To hate this song is to be no more than a cynical intellectual, and to hate its positive message. Disney most certainly does not welcome cynics to its party. You cannot truly be a Disney fan if you hate this song; after all, it represents the philosophy of not only the entire Disney organization but of Walt Disney himself.

Aside from the songís catchy melody line, and beautiful lyrics, the original 1964 score is a phenomenon. (Bring back the original score to Disneyland!!!!!!!!) It is a brilliant and cleaver musical interlude spanning hundreds of nations and international musical styles. Perhaps you intellectuals can appreciate how difficult it must have been to not only compose this music in its many international forms, but to engineer the sound within the attraction, making all the music blend together so flawlessly from hundreds of multiple tracks, all playing simultaneously from speakers spaced meticulously throughout the building. But what makes this music even more amazing, is how it never looses its sense of childhood fun and pure whimsy. It is sophisticated in its lack of sophistication, which is what I think describes Disneyland in general. ďSophisticated in its lack of Sophistication.Ē Think about that. Get off your high horses you cynics! Relive your childhood, and allow yourself to be touched by the magic of this music!

Another thing I love so much about this ride is its overall design. I am a huge fan of Mary Blair. (Give her a Window!!!!!) The scenic design of Small World is a testament to the genius of Mary Blair and Claude Coats, and as many times as I have ridden this ride, many hundreds I am sure, I always find something new to put a smile on my face. I love its ďSophistication in its lack of Sophistication.Ē It is campy, it is colorful, it is fantastic, it is Disney. Married with its amazing costumes (Designed by Marc Davisís wife trivia fans) and its endearing and adorable cast of simple yet very cleverly animated animatronic figures, the visual splendor of this attraction is among the finest Disney has ever produced. And I dare anyone who considers themself a true Disney fan to argue otherwise.

So have I convinced anyone to take a different look at this ride? I would like to hear from all you Negative Nellies. And if there are any fellow Small World Advocates out there, I would like to hear from you as well. Perhaps we can bring more over to our side. After all, thereís so much that we share thatís its time weíre aware, Itís a Small World After All.
    Last edited by DCLyndon; 02-25-2007 at 04:23 AM. Reason: gramerical mistake

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Re: Are you an Itís a Small World, Advocate or Critic???

A lot of Disneyland wonks amuse themselves by "hating" this attraction, but would march and carry signs if it were ever threatened. Take heart. We all actually love "IASW." It's a Disneyland classic.

The Sherman Bros. song can burrow into one's head to the point of distraction, but there isn't a Disney Wonk alive who doesn't absolutely love it!

Dear Disneyland Wonks,
    Please reassure this "first-poster." (Welcome to the forum!)
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Quote Originally Posted by DCLyndon View Post
    Another thing I love so much about this ride is its overall design. I am a huge fan of Mary Blair. (Give her a Window!!!!!) The scenic design of Small World is a testament to the genius of Mary Blair and Claude Coats, and as many times as I have ridden this ride, many hundreds I am sure, I always find something new to put a smile on my face. I love its ďSophistication in its lack of Sophistication.Ē

I think the term for which you are looking is "faux naif". The visual design is created by professional adult artists to appear as if it has been fashioned by children.

• some imagination huh?

I like this attraction for being a classic. It's like that article of clothing you have that you've worn so many times and complain about but you know you'd pitch a fit if anyone tried to throw it out.

I'd really enjoy it if they'd bring over the concept from I believe Hong Kong Disney[?] of having classic characters show up in the scenes from their native lands [i.e. Peter Pan in England, Belle/Cinderella in France, Mulan in China etc.]

"faux naif" Exactly!!!!!

• Super saucy pixie!

I love this attraction! Sometimes a great time doesn't require a lot of thrills, chills, bells, and whistles. This is just a sweet, happy ride, that always leaves me smiling on the way out, and saying a silent thank you to Walt and Mary Blair. Love it!

Welcome to MiceChat, btw!

• Former Epcot CM

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney View Post
    A lot of Disneyland wonks amuse themselves by "hating" this attraction, but would march and carry signs if it were ever threatened. Take heart. We all actually love "IASW." It's a Disneyland classic.

The Sherman Bros. song can burrow into one's head to the point of distraction, but there isn't a Disney Wonk alive who doesn't absolutely love it!

Dear Disneyland Wonks,
    Please reassure this "first-poster." (Welcome to the forum!)
    Exactly.

We love to hate it, but if there ever a rumour of the attraction closing, there would be unimaginable uproar.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

I'm not a hater, but its not a ride that's on the top of our "must do" list when we visit. Altho it MUST be ridden/seen during the holidays and a MUST see for any first timer to the park or someone who hasn't been there for quite a while, imho.

And welcome to MiceChat!
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• I have returned !!

where it is not high on my list of personal favorite rides I do agree if it were gone it would be sorely missed by many. I agree it is like a piece of clothing you have had for years and can't bear to pack up and discard. It is comfortable and holds memories ( of course my memory of having a lollipop smacked into my hair by a guest a couple of years ago does add to the dislike part of this ride it isnt IASW's fault by any measure)

I think perhaps it could use a little refurb when it comes to illusion tho. My biggest whine about it is being able to see the ride/boat underlying water and chute mechanics. I wonder if there is a way to preserve the rides displays and music yet make the experience more pleasant whilst riding it. I know i shouldnt be looking down there and be looking at the displays... but...yeah i dont want it gone and it is pretty at Christmas. I have other rides i would yank out long before this would even be a consideration for elimination.

( perhaps they have fixed this since i last went...)

Mickey's cool but Johnny Depp Rocks !

Got Tiger? I do !!

LAST DLR Trip ? POTC: AWE PREMIERE !! 5-17~5-24
    next trip?? Dec 2007

• Pirata del Caribe

Itīs a small world is not of my favorites rides.
    And I get tired of the song...

But I can enjoy it anyway.
    We donīt wanna be like you. Donīt you get that King of Fools?
    You're the blind to lead the blind.And I walk the wicked way!
    Uno, dos, ya viene por tŪ
    tres, cuatro, cierra la puerta,
    cinco, seis, mira el crucifijo
    siete, ocho, no duermas aķn
    nueve, diez, nunca dormirŠs...

Aside from the songís catchy melody line, and beautiful lyrics, the original 1964 score is a phenomenon. (Bring back the original score to Disneyland!!!!!!!!)

I thought the did when they repainted it white again?

I love the ride but I love it more in its Holiday version. There is much more to look at. The original seems a little empty to me now. But it is still classic Disney and I'm sure it isn't going anywhere ever.
    "Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." --Carl Sagan

• Minion

Blog Entries

I do hate this ride, however I was stuck on it for 3 hours once before. And for all of those out there wondering, no they did not turn off the music. After that the only time you can drag my happy butt on it is during the holidays. Now then even though I can't stand this ride I totally agree that it is a classic. This is something that Walt had his hands all over. And that is why it will always have a special place in my heart.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCLyndon

Aside from the songís catchy melody line, and beautiful lyrics, the original 1964 score is a phenomenon. (Bring back the original score to Disneyland!!!!!!!!)

I now live on the east coast and cannot visit Disneyland very often anymore. I am glad to hear that they have brough back the original score, if in fact they have.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCLyndon

I now live on the east coast and cannot visit Disneyland very often anymore. I am glad to hear that they have brough back the original score, if in fact they have.
    Yes they did. It reminds me of the 45 I had as a kid that I played for hours. It has this great 1960's quality to it. Something very optimistic about the sound.
    "Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." --Carl Sagan

I am so happy they brought it back, that Euro Disney version was a snooze. I prefer the peppy happy 1964 version. I too had the record, and still do.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast