I've seen discussions about Freedomland on the east coast and that Nara Dreamland place in Japan but does anyone remember the early days of Astroworld (now owned by 6 Flags) in Houston, TX?
The parallels were extreme. Examples:
1. Enter DL, soon you're on Mainstreet USA. Entered Astroworld and found yourself in 'Americana Square'.
2. Right side of DL (Tomorrowland) has Autopia - Astroworld had gas powered cars on a track called 'Spin Out'
3. Matterhorn vs. Alpine Sleigh (had a mountain and everything - now part of Batman Queue)
4. Frontierland vs. Western Junction
5. Jungle Cruise vs. River of No Return (this one had virtually cloned the DL boats - it's gone now. XLR-8 coaster passes over some of the abandonned river)
6. Skyway vs. Sky Ride
7. Fantasyland vs. European Village
8. DL Railroad circles Disneyland as does/did the 610 Limited at Astroworld.
Funny. Not HA-HA funny, but 'chuckle-giggle' funny, y'know?