Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Opus Archives: New Years Eve "Hard Ticket" Events

There have been many threads here in the past questioning if Disneyland has/had "hard ticket" event nights on New Years Eve.

Falling into my lap from a dusty old envelope are my ticket stubs from the 1975 (left) and 1977 (right) "Advance Purchase" tickets:

You had to pay more money if you purchased the tickets on the day of the event (which rarely was possible anyway, as this event usually sold out in advance).

And while unable to yet locate a 1970 ticket stub, I did find the Ticket Agency receipt (you used to actually go to your local Ticket Agency to acquire "Advance Purchase" event tickets to Disneyland in the "old days")...that indicates a 1970 price of $9.00.

FYI...these tickets also had "Free Parking" on the back.

• Mousketeer

Re: Opus Archives: New Years Eve "Hard Ticket" Events

I went to a couple of these also. Great events. Not too crowded. My father kept his free party hat from the event for years. But they didn't have anythiing on them that said "Disney" so they are probably worthless.

• Rock Star Minion

Sounds like a great idea that would work in today's times.
    Since it would be ahard ticket event, and that the park would still be open (as would DCA), AP'ers could not legitimately whine about it.

As there are now three hotels, it would make sense to have guests there get so many tickets (four, for example) for their party. The rest go on sale to the public.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

So, in all these posts you've been posting (thanks, BTW!) they say that all tractions are of unlimited use except shooting galleries... Was there more than one shooting gallery?
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Was the midnight spectacular really a surprise if they mentioned it right there on the ticket?
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Loomis View Post
    Was the midnight spectacular really a surprise if they mentioned it right there on the ticket?
    Even back then, there were lawyers making sure no one was overly surprised by whatever the surprise was.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    So, in all these posts you've been posting (thanks, BTW!) they say that all tractions are of unlimited use except shooting galleries... Was there more than one shooting gallery?
    There were at various times the following Shooting Galleries at Disneyland:

- Frontierland Shooting Gallery
    - Main Street Shooting Gallery
    - Safari Shooting Gallery
    - Davy Crockett Arcade
    - Frontierland Shootin' Exposition

A few of the above changed their names slightly on occasion (like the Adventureland "Safari" one was renamed "Big Game Shooting Gallery" for awhile), but those were the basic ones. There were a few other "arcade" types around the Park, but they were just games and not real shootin' galleries. But the above listed ones were real shooting galleries, and at one time actually shot real projectiles, and the attraction's targets had to be repainted every night!

Here's an old photo of the Adventureland/Safari/Big Game one (which was the largest in Disneyland, BTW).

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Since it would be ahard ticket event, and that the park would still be open (as would DCA), AP'ers could not legitimately whine about it.
    I'm not sure I understand what you're saying there, but just to be clear...the Disneyland hard ticket New Years Eve parties were not "mix-in" of any kind. They completely closed the Park and cleared it of Guests, before re-opening for just the hard ticket crowd. If Annual Passes had existed back then...they would have been invalid at this special ticketed event.
    Last edited by Opus1guy; 02-26-2007 at 07:54 PM.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    I'm not sure I understand what you're saying there, but just to be clear...the Disneyland hard ticket New Years Eve parties were not "mix-in" of any kind. They completely closed the Park and cleared it of Guests, before re-opening for just the hard ticket crowd. If Annual Passes had existed back then...they would have been invalid at this special ticketed event.
    I'll be clear: if there is a hard ticket event for NYE when there hasn't been one in ages, and since some PAP'ers buy PAPs for the bonus of being able to get in on NYE for virtually free, there is likely to be some whining if DL decided to bring back this sorely needed event. (TDL has one, so it's not impossible.)
    I write "sorely," because the crowd has gotten out of hand, IMO, with tourists getting shut out by better-knowledged AP'ers. Some might enjoy it, but I wouldn't. I would enjoy a 30,000 hard-ticket event, though.

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    I'll be clear: if there is a hard ticket event for NYE when there hasn't been one in ages, and since some PAP'ers buy PAPs for the bonus of being able to get in on NYE for virtually free, there is likely to be some whining if DL decided to bring back this sorely needed event. (TDL has one, so it's not impossible.)
    Thanks. Got it now. I agree that there would be some disappointment among Annual Passholders if that night were to become a hard ticket event. But then again they might offer a discount/surcharge to AP's, so that could placate some while totally deterring some others. Don't they do that already on some other hard ticket events?

I admit I've never been an Annual Passholder...so I'm not fully versed in all the idiosyncrasies of the program and participation in it. I can certainly see its many effects on the Parks (both good and bad). But it's hard for me to relate sometimes to AP's and their viewpoints, never having been one.

• Banned User

When I grow up...I want to be Opus!

Very cool tickets!!!

Quote Originally Posted by I Heart Disneyland View Post
    When I grow up...I want to be Opus!
    When Opus grew up, he wanted to be one of the young 20 somethings getting smashed at Cove Bar and not popping a blood vessel in his brain as a result.

You know that Peter Pan dude? I've decided...he was right!!!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Thanks for the shooting gallery info
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

. But the above listed ones were real shooting galleries, and at one time actually shot real projectiles, and the attraction's targets had to be repainted every night!
    That's right. During my CM training in the summer of '84, it was explained that the targets had to be repainted every night, the benches checked for gum underneath every night, the Main Street track grooves scraped out every night, etc.
    It was obvious the park put an overwhelming effort into the "onstage" image of Disneyland.

• Banned User

You know that Peter Pan dude? I've decided...he was right!!!

Yep, I think he's on to something there!

• Rock Star Minion

Thanks. Got it now. I agree that there would be some disappointment among Annual Passholders if that night were to become a hard ticket event. But then again they might offer a discount/surcharge to AP's, so that could placate some while totally deterring some others. Don't they do that already on some other hard ticket events?

I admit I've never been an Annual Passholder...so I'm not fully versed in all the idiosyncrasies of the program and participation in it. I can certainly see its many effects on the Parks (both good and bad). But it's hard for me to relate sometimes to AP's and their viewpoints, never having been one.
    Some events are made expressly for AP'ers. The Halloween events in DCA are, since AP'ers get first shot at tickets. The special, "spend your retirtement money" events are also catered to AP'ers, in order to extract all that lost admission revenue. Other hard-ticket events are usually off-season. NYE, well, as we've seen, that's something special to many AP'ers, as would be an enlongened DL anniversary party -- I'm guessing you have some stubs from those historical events.

For NYE, if I were in charge, I would provide entrance to the hotel guests as part of a package. That's so many tickets, assuming so many guests per room. Then, make them available to good-neighbor motels in the area. Basically, cater it to tourists. Limit those to about 20,000. Then have the last 10,000 or so available for purchase to the public.
    Disclaimer: I'm not in charge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast