Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bye Autopia?

•   
    • debating what to put here

Quote Originally Posted by SanSooJustin
    I would like to see a 3rd floor added to the Star Tours building. Make it a nice sit down restaurant with a future theme (ever been to the restaurant at LAX..something like that......it was designed by WDI). It would be nice to have another sit down restaurant and have the side that faces north open with glass windows, which would be a perfect spot for a night time dessert place to watch the fireworks.
    I like the idea but I do see an issue being the height of a third floor. I wonder if outside of the berm would be visible. To me, that would take something away from the place. I very much enjoy that (for the most part), I can't see past the berm inside the park. I don't want to think about the outside world when I am at Disneyland and I think it would be a drag to be in Tomorrowland having dinner and watching Harbor Blvd.

If the restaurant could be positioned in such a way that you could only see the inside of Disneyland, yet still have a great overhead view of the park, then I think it would be very popular. One of the things I miss most about the Skyway cars, for example, is the wonderful view that they provided. Same to a lesser extent with the Peoplemover. There aren't enough places to get cool views of the park anymore. Maybe a restaurant up above would be a nice addition.
    "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"
    - Satchel Paige

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    The Autopia is the single biggest people eater attraction on the East side of the park
    Actually the capacity is quite low, lower than star tours, buzz lightyear, space mountain, and its a small world and when you factor in the incredibly high labor needs (about 20 cast members) compared to something like buzz lightyear which only requires like 5 cast members there isnt anything economical about it.

• keep moving forward...

they can always give it a "cars" theme and move it to pixar land er i mean californial adventure

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.
    Autopia isn't very futuristic, and a lot of it uses gold paint, which looks out of place in the fresh Tomorrowland. At the least, they'll need to redo the paint job, which would be a good time to give it a more electric edge. Just add something to give it a futuristic spark. ANYTHING.

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries
    Let's just bring back the hovering thingies so that way, it is actually partially futuristic! lolol

• My cuties!

One of my fondest memories of DL was when I was finally tall enough to drive my own car (somewhere I have a picture of me in front of the height sign)! I hope they never get rid of it!

• Boozer, User, and Loser

Autopia is a great attraction for kids, but I must say it would fit into the theme of DCA if they ever needed more space in DL.

I respecfully disagree Dreams Come True.
    My thought. Autopia is nothing of the future. so y is it in TL. but anywayz people mover takes up a rediculus amount of land which can make 1 to 2 lands! I think since our sister park is in distress we should remove it from DL and into DCA. that way we can make a whole new land. a land that can have the matterhorn and subs in the themeing

What do u think

• Rock Star Minion

Some day in the future (the world of tomorrow), those kids will be driving. There. It's fits the theme.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    Some day in the future (the world of tomorrow), those kids will be driving. There. It's fits the theme.
    Good point. For the little kids that get to drive the cars, they are experiencing their future.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by SanSooJustin
    Has the Autopia's time come and gone at Disneyland? I know there is a nostalgia factor because it has been in Tomorrowland for 50 years. But is driving a gasoline powered car on a freeway a thing of the future (I hope not....I drive everyday and hope I will have a change of pace in the future). I can't think of a better theme to fit into DCA. Cars ARE California. I know it has only been a couple years since they totally re-did the Autopia (and very well I might add), but maybe it is time to make the move to the park south. This would free up a lot of space to build something really large, unique and special for a Disneyland Tomorrowland (maybe aim for 5 years....55 years after the park opened...which opened in 1955. ‘Tomorrowland Year 55'?.I don't know...the Disneyland Promotion Department can work in anything!). Not to mention that the Autopia is a favorite with kids and you have an automatic popular ride going into DCA, which obviously is still working on finding it's audience. How much does it cost to landscape some space, lay some road and track and drop off some cars? The big money would be needed to build something new in the new space open at Disneyland (space that is above the sub show buildings), not move the Autopia.

And, since I have finished with work for the rest of the week and am having a whiskey and coke.....might I add....

I would like to see a 3rd floor added to the Star Tours building. Make it a nice sit down restaurant with a future theme (ever been to the restaurant at LAX..something like that......it was designed by WDI). It would be nice to have another sit down restaurant and have the side that faces north open with glass windows, which would be a perfect spot for a night time dessert place to watch the fireworks. Maybe enter through the 2nd floor of the Starcade and head up. I always thought that Tomorrowland should be the only ‘land' and The Land that should not follow the small scale design with the rest of the park. I think the future should look bigger and brighter than reality. A third story above Star Tours would not be bad (above Buzz would be closer for fire works but with mess with the scale of the Matterhorn).

Anyway....just some random thoughts from a guy on his way to a whiskey soaked birthday weekend! Cheers!

Justin
    I really like your idea and I'd like to point out to everyone that original poster is not saying totally scarp the Autopia, just move it to DCA where it would fit in better. And also to add that KIDS LOVE AUTOPIA and the feeling of driving their own car and if I am right DCA does need ride that attracts the 10 and under demographic. Moving it to DCA wouldn't be that bad of an idea from a bussiness stand point. And during the move improvements on the cars can be made once more, maybe a better looking track, maybe Disney Afternoon characters? Maybe even more Buzz Light Year (because Disney doesn't use that character alot)? Who knows? But yeah, I like your idea of moving it in favor of a new E-ticket or dark ride. But that also begs the question, doesn't DCA need more E-tickets at this moment?

• Merry 2014!

keep the autopia! it is the only car i can safely drive while drunk! cheers!
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• Lost in Wonderland

Autopia is fun since you can bump cars in front of you, or have someone rear-end you. On the freeways you can't exactly do that and have fun. And I do like the sound of gas motors. I'd rather hear the constant 'put-put' of a gas motor than have the quietness of an electric cart.

As for a restaurant above Star Tours... well, the rooftops of the neighboring buildings are not exactly the prettiest things to look at. And when watching fireworks, people want to hear the loud 'bang' from the fireworks, and not be stuck behind a glass wall. The view of the fireworks wouldn't be that great from that area, as you can't have them looking backstage behind Mainstreet... meaning they wouldn't be able to see all of the hub from up there.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries
    Am I the only adult who loves Autopia? I like the scenery, which would be lost if it was moved.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Queen of Sarcasm

I don't think Autopia is going anywhere anytime soon. Our sponsorship with Chevron lasts until 2010. That means it has another 5 years under the current contract from what I am told. Also as prviously stated, kid's faces light up when I tell them they are finally able to drive their own car. Sure, it may not be a very futuristic thing for you as an adult but to a child being able to drive a "real car" is their future in a way.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast