Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Bye Autopia?

• Minion

Well, one other benefit of transitioning it to Fantasyland... that part of the layout goes so darn well with the MBC layout.

If they want to keep Autopia beyond 2010, they could really make it something spectacular, the way the shooting gallery aspect turns a C ticket omnimover concept into practically an A ticket with Buzz. Maybe new modern vehicles? Maybe a richly-themed environment to travel through? Maybe a dramatic nightime "transformation" like Rockit Mountain?

I think that's one thing most if not all of us can agree on. Even if you think it's good now, certainly it could be better, right?
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

^ Well said & I guess for the reason that Autopia is no longer standing the test of time, it is time for a case of out with the old & in with the new!

I LOVE the idea of the Autopia concept being scrapped from DL & relocated to DCA. It would not only give the kids one more thing to do there but also add a much needed middle of the road Attraction to that Park. I do not welcome the ride however being re-located in it's current state. I agree that if "California" is to remain the integral Theme of DCA, highways & dare i say it, the upcoming PIXAR movie "Cars" is the ideal tie in. A variety of Theming, show scenes & tunnels etc could be featured. The only problem I see with this is the strong likelyhood of traffic jams in these areas & slower capacity. A newer technology & a complete rebuild of the Attraction would be needed if this was to be carried out.

My suggestion. build an interactive, So Cal highway / Cars Themed Family friendly "D" ticket ride in DCA that is innovative & uses LIM as it's propulsion but still allows you to be in control at certain parts (not within show areas) & get rid of Autopia in DL. I am sure that the sponsorship deal with Chevron is not that valuable to the coffers anyway. Besides, any brand new E or D ticket attraction built at DL will get a sponsor that will be at least as good, if not better for the company. Contracts are about as flimsy as the piece of paper they are printed on & can easily be broken if either or both parties no longer wish to do business.

IMO Autopia has had it's day. This type of ride is found in Theme Parks everywhere & is anything but unique. There are plenty of other wonderful things for kids to enjoy at Disneyland. It is prime real estate in a corner of the Park that will inevitably be the site for something exciting and new. I will not miss it when it does eventually go.

• FastPass n00b

I think we are forgetting that kids don't care if freeway travel isn't exactly new anymore. To them, EVERYTHING is new. Especially if it's something that feels so far away from them, like being able to drive their own car. We take it for granted and most of the time find it to be a hassle to drive nowadays. But for kids, driving is an incredible thrill no matter how outdated the attraction may seem to us.

I remember the first day I started driving, I specifically remember thinking, "Hey, this is just like a bigger, faster version of the Autopia!". It's not going to teach kids how to drive per se, but it really does give them a feel for the real thing. I'd say let the kids have their fun (some adults like it too) and keep the Autopia. We could do without yet another thrill ride with more height restrictions. I agree that it definitely needs updating though. Hopefully when Chevron is out of the picture that can happen. One good thing about the Chevron sponsorship is it keeps Pixar out. They've already taken over half of Tomorrowland, but the PeopleMover is still in its approval stage and it hasn't gotten its Pixar theme yet and the closest Pixar theme is Cars, so unless Matt Ouimett has finally grown tired of seeing Pixar everywhere in his park we'll probably be seeing something Cars related up there.

I find it alarming they haven't upgrade the cars to electrical yet. Not because of environmental concerns, but because in the long term, electricity or hybrid would probably be cheaper. And obviously keeping the gas fleet they have now is cheaper in the short term. So if they haven't been upgraded to something that's going to be cheaper in the long run, it makes me wonder if they are thinking in short term for a reason.
    Last edited by Athlonacon; 06-06-2005 at 08:13 AM.

I don't know about you guys, but I have always thought that cars would fly (or at least hover) in the future. Since they already have a contained track, I think it would be cool if they could make the cars hover. Maybe use the magnetic repulsion technology that some of the bullet trains use and just keep the car tethered to the track with a guide rope so it doesn't crash into the sides. This way you get a futuristic feel and kids still get to drive, but don't ask me how to make them move forward, I'll leave that one to the Imagineers =P Just throwing out ideas here.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Ferris
    I don't know about you guys, but I have always thought that cars would fly (or at least hover) in the future. Since they already have a contained track, I think it would be cool if they could make the cars hover. Maybe use the magnetic repulsion technology that some of the bullet trains use and just keep the car tethered to the track with a guide rope so it doesn't crash into the sides. This way you get a futuristic feel and kids still get to drive, but don't ask me how to make them move forward, I'll leave that one to the Imagineers =P Just throwing out ideas here.
    That would be awesome! The hovercraft would require guiderails and other safety featues, though. Ideas like this should be a part of the direction they should be trying to go with Tomorrowland.

The roomer of the Little Green Men flying saucers comes to mind. However, this attraction, shoud it be added, is supposed to be a flat ride...like it's predecessor. Also, tt is purported to be a bumper car ride, Neumatics or electro-magnetic technology could possibly be utilized to make the vehicles hover. With it being a bumper car attraction. it seems like it would be extremely sophisticated, expensive, and hard to maintain.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 06-07-2005 at 04:26 PM.

• Minion

I agree that the Autopia shoud be moved to DCA. And in it's place, TL should recieve AQUAtopia- somewhat similar to Tokyo Disney Sea's version, but not a clone. Feauturing cars that drive both in and out of water, avoiding leaping founatins, whirlpools, sealife, and more it would be a futuristic upgrade while still keeping the feel and idea of the original. The kids would still get to drive, but it would now be much more futuristic and hold appeal to everybody. It would NOT be a thrill ride, but would be a more exciting version of the Autopia.

• I love my family!

That ride ain't going no where! Long lines = popular attraction, people love the ride. I personally don't like it either but I'm in the minority. Anyway, that land is not a very easy space to use, so close to the berm with the Mono above and the Subs below. When Chevron goes away Retheme to Cars find new sponsor.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdshiftCM
    That ride ain't going no where! Long lines = popular attraction, people love the ride. I personally don't like it either but I'm in the minority. Anyway, that land is not a very easy space to use, so close to the berm with the Mono above and the Subs below. When Chevron goes away Retheme to Cars find new sponsor.
    Well, after reading the lastest Al Lutz, it's safe to say that long lines don't always equal popular attraction. Sometimes, quite the opposite is true.

Personally, as much as I love the original subs, I wouldn't spend the tens of millions it will cost to bring them back so close to the time when Autopia's sponsorship comes to a close. Regardless, with PeopleMover and MBC currently down, and the Monorails set to undergo an extensive upgrade, I'd say the priority is to publicly relaunch Space Mtn, breathe new life into the Magic Eye and Carousel Theaters, put the Rocket Jets back atop the Tower, and work on clearing the clutter from the Tomorrowland entrance. That's more than plenty to do in the next five years.

Then, in 2010 or so, tackle Northern Tomorrowland all at once. If you need to tear out the old PeopleMover infrastructure, correct the MBC layout so it doesn't retrace so much of its path, route Autopia so it goes around a new showbuilding, or whatever... there's no good reason why they can't make a much better use of Northern Tomorrowland, including a massive, much-needed reImagineering of Autopia.

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• Hooterville, USA

Do not lose sight of the fact of having autopia is for KIDS! Everyone is looking at it with an adult insight and making it more complex than necessary.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas
    Do not lose sight of the fact of having autopia is for KIDS! Everyone is looking at it with an adult insight and making it more complex than necessary.
    Should we lose sight of the fact that, at least according to Disney lore, Disney was created so that parents could enjoy the attractions WITH their children? Autopia really goes against this principle in two ways.

1) Autopia really does seem to be designed to separate children from their parents. "Hey Mom, I'm tall enough to drive alone. So get your own car!" So, in that sense, it can get pretty difficult to actually enjoy the ride with a kid. You end up sort of like Walt on the bench, watching your child having fun without you.

2) Disney rides are supposed to be for everyone in the family, not just kids. If you look at, say, the Matterhorn, even thought it is a rollercoaster, it was designed in such a way that anyone over the age of 3 could enjoy it. At the time Autopia was built, there may have been enough to it for the whole family to enjoy, but then again, Autopia was much different when it originally opened. The eventual addition of the guide-rails really turned the whole Autopia system into the Midget Autopia, essentially a Fantasyland dark ride, but without any real show to see.

-- Walt Disney

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas
    Actually, not true. I am too young to drive, yet I still feel the Autopia needs to be redone- and I have felt this way for awhile. And like ModHatter said, Disneyland should be for adults and kids to enjoy together. That's why I think Autopia needs to be redone- keep it so kids can drive, so they will enjoy it, but make it interesting enough for the adults as well.

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries
    If Autopia was gone, My Son would boycott. He starts bugging me from the moment we enter the park, and reminds me every 15 minutes until we go. Between the ages of 4 and 12 every Boy, it seems wants to head straight there.

(If Micheal Jackson gets off, maybe he will open one at his house....Yikes)
    Last edited by PanTheMan; 06-12-2005 at 10:54 AM.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PanTheMan
    If Autopia was gone, My Son would boycott.
    Yes, but if Disneyland built a new and better Autopia, or removed it for a far superior attraction (or considering the amount of land available, atractions , I suspect the move would pay off handsomely.

-- Walt Disney

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234