Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bye Autopia?

• Sock Puppet

Bye Autopia?

Has the Autopia's time come and gone at Disneyland? I know there is a nostalgia factor because it has been in Tomorrowland for 50 years. But is driving a gasoline powered car on a freeway a thing of the future (I hope not....I drive everyday and hope I will have a change of pace in the future). I can't think of a better theme to fit into DCA. Cars ARE California. I know it has only been a couple years since they totally re-did the Autopia (and very well I might add), but maybe it is time to make the move to the park south. This would free up a lot of space to build something really large, unique and special for a Disneyland Tomorrowland (maybe aim for 5 years....55 years after the park opened...which opened in 1955. ‘Tomorrowland Year 55'?.I don't know...the Disneyland Promotion Department can work in anything!). Not to mention that the Autopia is a favorite with kids and you have an automatic popular ride going into DCA, which obviously is still working on finding it's audience. How much does it cost to landscape some space, lay some road and track and drop off some cars? The big money would be needed to build something new in the new space open at Disneyland (space that is above the sub show buildings), not move the Autopia.

And, since I have finished with work for the rest of the week and am having a whiskey and coke.....might I add....

I would like to see a 3rd floor added to the Star Tours building. Make it a nice sit down restaurant with a future theme (ever been to the restaurant at LAX..something like that......it was designed by WDI). It would be nice to have another sit down restaurant and have the side that faces north open with glass windows, which would be a perfect spot for a night time dessert place to watch the fireworks. Maybe enter through the 2nd floor of the Starcade and head up. I always thought that Tomorrowland should be the only ‘land' and The Land that should not follow the small scale design with the rest of the park. I think the future should look bigger and brighter than reality. A third story above Star Tours would not be bad (above Buzz would be closer for fire works but with mess with the scale of the Matterhorn).

Anyway....just some random thoughts from a guy on his way to a whiskey soaked birthday weekend! Cheers!

Justin

Keep the Autopia, it may not be fun and futuristic for you but it is futuristic to every 8 year old who visits Disneyland. The attraction consistantly has high hourly counts (it always meets it's target) and it is a lot of fun for kids to drive their grandmother around.

If anything, after Chevron goes away they can update it to alternative fuel and showcase that aspect of future transportation.

• Animatronic

I agree, if the Autopia was changed to a more futuristic personal electric transportation device with LED headlamps it would be ok. Still not great, but at least it adds motion to tomorrowland, is in a park like setting, and overlaps the sub ride for a decent use of space.

• At the Gym or at DL

Autopia is a very popular attraction, I don't think it will be removed anytime soon. However, as you can read in this article, the Disney lawyers have no love for this attraction and changes might be on the way.

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/mb/artic...le.php?ID=1470

• ºoº Tom ºoº

The Autopia is the single biggest people eater attraction on the East side of the park. It ain't going no where! Try this on for size: Replace the rails in the center with censors and utilize the trackless technology from Winnie the Pooh in Toyko. Then power the cars with reusable energy so the ride promotes the future...

Yeah that will happen when Chevron stops chipping in money to keep there forced commerical project in the tower above the station. Autopia and Chevron aren't going anywhere.

• Minion

ORDDU: My sisters and I have NEVER liked the Autopia, ourselves. We've just never been able to understand a duckling's love for being entrapped within such fiendish, metal contraptions the rest of you call CARS!

ORWEN: Exactly! I mean, what's wrong with flying a broomstick, instead?

ORGOCH: Like as if yer own big fat fanny ever gits lifted very high off the ground while tryin' ta fly one, sister!

ORWEN: I'll deal with you LATER, old biddy!

ORDDU: Anyway, I strongly doubt there's any real danger of the Autopia going away any time soon--considering the fact that Hong Kong Disneyland is determined to have one in THEIR Tomorrowland.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries
    I am looking forward to the attraction, when I come to Disneyland in July.
    Since I do not drive, I think it will be a hoot to drive a car on Autopia.

• Minion

I posted much the same thread a few months ago and took a lot of abuse and nasty PMs for it. I've never been on it, appreciate that many think it is still a great attraction for children who can't get behind the wheel but it takes up a large chunk of space and is no longer relevant to TL.

When it opened, the freeway system in California was the envy of the world. Now that the world has some version of it and California is pretty much gridlocked for large portions of the day, it should be relegated to Fantasyland.

• Hooterville, USA

I learned to drive on that ride and taught my whole family there too!

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Minion

Honestly...I never would have thought that someone could learn to drive a vehicle on city streets and highways by riding the TL Autopia. Chalk one up for Walt!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Autopia needs some kind of update... I find it to be really far too slow and the exhaust from the cars gave me a headache the last time i went on it (which was the first time since I hit double digits in age) .. I don't plan on going on the ride ever again unless they update it.

I like the idea of the trackless technology that Winnie the Pooh uses in Japan that ah_shucks mentioned.

I also like the future-themed restaurant above Star Tours. It would be perfect if they updated Star Tours and added a Star Tours-themed restaurant with performing audio-animatronics in it. It would be really great, and would draw HUGE crowds since Star Wars is such a huge merchandising/attraction/etc property. Lucas and the Imagineers could whip up something really cool now that Eisner is out and Lucas will be more willing to communicate with Disney.

And you idea for the fireworks view is great, but is it logical ... think about the tech walls infront of Buzz - would it get in the way? And what about all the trees? Would those obstruct any views??

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

Keep it! To some ppl Autopia might be tired and played out, but to the young children autopia is as close as it gets to real driving. Kids love the fact that they're driving on their own. Before you scrap it wont somebody please think of the children!

• Banned User

I have seen first hand.. (well second hand) at how powerfull the Autopia/Indy track are at disney parks. My cousin is 4 years old and got to drive his car 2 weeks ago and loved it.

He drove it well infact and didn't try to bump my sister too much.....

What they can do it change the motors to something else... electric or mabey even see if they can invent a hybrid gocart motor.... or even a hydrogrn gocart motor....

(imagine the tax deducations..)

• Iron-Clad Allie

[QUOTE=MasterGracey]Autopia needs some kind of update... I find it to be really far too slow and the exhaust from the cars gave me a headache the last time i went on it (which was the first time since I hit double digits in age) .. I don't plan on going on the ride ever again unless they update it.

I like the idea of the trackless technology that Winnie the Pooh uses in Japan that ah_shucks mentioned.

I agree. Absolutely keep the attraction open! Although, I think Autopia needs a major update. As things stand right now though, Chevron would have to go along with it. Electric/gas powered hybrids are probably the way to go - or the appearance of being such. Chevron should realize that people are going to buy their cars based on how cool and fun their attraction is - not on whether their little fantasy jalopies have internal combustion engines. ah_ shucks' trackless idea would rule! Perhaps a trackless and hibrid concept could work in concert.

There currently are two rides that are intertwined with the sub lagoon: the Monorail, the Autopia. In the not too distant future there will be three, when
    a new ride is either placed on or utilizes the People Move track. In the days of the Skyway, there used to be four. Lot's of motion in the days before Tomorrowland died, primarily at the hands of Pressler and the directives of Eisner.

If the Autopia remains as it is, bored folks will continue to find great joy in ramming into eachother. Just go there anytime and observe (especially the cars out in the distance) and chances are you will witness at least one or two bumper car enthusiasts. It certainly wouldn't hurt to let Guest Services know of that we want them to keep the ridr, yet it could stand a significant update. They do listen - especially under Matt Oimet's leadership..

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries
    Autopia is graet! Every Kid LOVES it! And with Chevrons Sponsorship, it also brings in revenue.

Now, if they want to make it more lifelike or futuristic, call it the GW Bush Expessway, and add 500 cars so it is a non-stop traffic jam from start to finish. That also should make it a 3 hour ride, and turn up the fumes!
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast