Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Disneyland vs. The Big One

The Big One as in Earthquake, that is.

Does anyone know how safe DLR would be in case of an earthquake? Is it all built to code? Would you want to be going over that first drop into the pitch-black grotto of Pirates just as The Big One hits Los Angeles?

I've often wondered about this.
    okerry

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Re: Disneyland vs. The Big One

Well - Disneyland survived the Whittier Earthquake of October 1987 and it survived the Northridge Earthquake of Janu<ry 1994. It also survived the Sylmar Earthquake of February 1971.

In the Northridge quake, an "A" did topple down and cause substantial ($$$) damage to Anaheim <ahem> Angel Stadium. That place is about two miles from Disneyland.

FYI.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by okerry View Post
    The Big One as in Earthquake, that is.

Does anyone know how safe DLR would be in case of an earthquake? Is it all built to code? Would you want to be going over that first drop into the pitch-black grotto of Pirates just as The Big One hits Los Angeles?

I've often wondered about this.
    okerry
    There are no guarantees.

As with every structure in California, the results depend on the strength of the quake, type of fault, distance from epicenter, exactly to what code the construction was done at the time it was built, etc.

Attraction operators have specific procedures to follow in the case of the apparent strength of the earthquake (amount of shaking and external observations). In all cases the ride is to be shut down until it can be evaluated, but of course shutting down varies a lot according to the nature of the ride. Some are obviously more vulnerable and take longer than others to come to a safe state. In case of extreme damage and power failure guests might be left in a difficult position as they would be with any sudden ride shutdown. In such cases, damage might make evacuation more difficult and with widespread effects the availability of emergency personnel would be stretched.

If you want absolute safety, don't live or visit California - or Washington, Oregon ...

• It's all nonsense

Thoughts of the Sun Wheel coming apart and rolling down the pier just enetered my head.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I am totally clueless on this, and I live in California. I have never seen them retrofit any of the buildings like SM or Innoventions. And this is one thing I do worry about as I would like to assume these buildings have been retrofitted, but I can't know for sure. Also, Peter Pan's track is held up by thin wires, so that is one ride I wouldn't want to be on in a quake.

This is one area that DCA is much better than DL with as all the buildings there are built to code. If a quake hits, I hope I am in Tower of Terror!

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
    Thoughts of the Sun Wheel coming apart and rolling down the pier just enetered my head.
    If you had the knowledge that you wouldn't get hurt, that could actually be sort of fun! And a definite "E" ticket.

• Beach Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
    Well - Disneyland survived the Whittier Earthquake of October 1987 and it survived the Northridge Earthquake of Janu<ry 1994. It also survived the Sylmar Earthquake of February 1971.

In the Northridge quake, an "A" did topple down and cause substantial ($$$) damage to Anaheim <ahem> Angel Stadium. That place is about two miles from Disneyland.

FYI.
    Believe it or not, these were actually smaller earthquakes compared to the Big One. I have heard this quake will last for 4-5 minutes!

And I do believe -- I think during the Northridge Quake -- that one of the DLH towers received minor damage. If I recall some of the plaster cracked and fell from one of the towers...

• Hooterville, USA

I would worry more about freeway bridges and less about DL during a quake.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Minion

If you had the knowledge that you wouldn't get hurt, that could actually be sort of fun! And a definite "E" ticket.
    Actually, it's an Eeeeek ticket

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Believe it or not, these were actually smaller earthquakes compared to the Big One. I have heard this quake will last for 4-5 minutes!

And I do believe -- I think during the Northridge Quake -- that one of the DLH towers received minor damage. If I recall some of the plaster cracked and fell from one of the towers...
    During the Big Bear Quake in 1992, the Bonita Tower suffered damage....if memory serves me....

• A guy walks into a bar...

I remember after the Northridge quake in 94 that the Submarine Voyage was closed for 3 or 4 days. Not becuase of any structural damage, but because 30 years of dirt and sediment that settled on the bottom of the lagoon became stirred up. You couldn't see 2 feet out of the porthole!

This internet message board posting does not reflect the thoughts or opinions of either my company, my friends, or my cat; don't quote me on that; don't quote me on anything; all rights reserved; you may distribute this message freely but you may not make a profit from it; terms are subject to change without notice; illustrations are slightly enlarged to show detail; any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is unintentional and purely coincidental; do not remove this disclaimer under penalty of law; hand wash only, tumble dry on low heat; do not bend, fold, mutilate, or spindle; your mileage may vary; no substitutions allowed; for a limited time only; this message is void where prohibited, taxed, or otherwise restricted; Contest ends 12-31-2099.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

During the Big Bear Quake in 1992, the Bonita Tower suffered damage....if memory serves me....
    The reason I remember this is because there were two newlyweds that were down in the parking lot being interviewed wrapped up in blankets.....imagine.........being in your wedding night and thinking the earthquake was 'YOU'. HA

I could be off with the actual quake, but I do recall watching it on the news the day it happened - and I went to work the day of the Northridge quake - so it couldn't have been that one. I do think it was the Big Bear quake - that was early on a Sunday Morning.

• Beach Expert

I remember during the San Francisco quake back in '88 or '89 I was going to college at UC Davis at the time. I was doing my laundry and my clothes were in the dryer when the quake hit. It felt like I was on a boat rocking back and forth. The laundry room was near the pool, and when I went back to get my clothes about 3 feet of water was missing from the pool. It must have sloshed out during the quake...

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Back when the Disney Campground was still there, my girlscout troop was spending the night and there was an earthquake early that morning. If memory serves, they evactuated the hotel but everything wound up ok. Some of the rides (splash mtn and the like) either didnt open that day, or opened later in the day, but the park opened like usual and all was well.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• no flash photography...

I wouldn't want to be stuck an any ride I could nto get out of on my own...like roller coasters...BTHR I could get out of...SM..IDK, but screamin would suck! The sunwheel would suck as well...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast