Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• former that is....

Follow the Flashlights

I know alot of you visit the park regularly, and I just want to thank all of you wonderful people who actually follow the park rules and do as we cast members ask. Not only does it make our jobs easier, but it makes us want to make your day as magical as possible.

By the way, here's a few things not to do:
    1. Don't go against the flow of traffic during the fireworks or Fantasmic. Everyone is trying to go somewhere, and you are not gonna get there any faster by going the wrong way.

1a. If you are upset by a CM who wont let you go where you want, PLEASE do not throw your icecream cone at him. This will just earn you an unpleasant trip backstage.

2. If you are daring enough to utilize a stroller in heavy crowds, PLEASE do not use it like a snowplow, it hurts when you get hit with one of those darn things.

3. FOR THE LOVE OF WALT, don't stop moving if you are in a walkway!

4. Finally....Follow the Flashlights! Stay to your right! And please, take every opportunity to stand next to me and mock me as you waive your "light saber" in the air. And no Mr. Jedi, I will not battle you with my mini saber.

Im sure most of you have experienced the madness that ensues after the fireworks finish. Any ideas or suggestions on improving this?

• CM for 4 years!

No way to improve. Some people want to leave the park, some want to go back into the park. And by this time of day, many full-day guests are grumpy for some reason or another. There isn't a happy medium unfortunately. Tonight, our group knew we wanted to go back into the park, so we watched from Main Street station, and at the end of the show, caught the train to Tomorrowland... easier than battling the crowds all the way up Main Street.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries
    Just a thank you for all you guys do. Crowd Control does an incredible job of keeping everyone moving. And, I must say, you guys do a MUCH better job than your counterparts at the Magic Kingdom in Florida. (Had to watch Wishes for the first time last year with traffic flowing next to me the entire show.)
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by dizneyslave
    I know alot of you visit the park regularly, and I just want to thank all of you wonderful people who actually follow the park rules and do as we cast members ask. Not only does it make our jobs easier, but it makes us want to make your day as magical as possible.

By the way, here's a few things not to do:
    1. Don't go against the flow of traffic during the fireworks or Fantasmic. Everyone is trying to go somewhere, and you are not gonna get there any faster by going the wrong way.

1a. If you are upset by a CM who wont let you go where you want, PLEASE do not throw your icecream cone at him. This will just earn you an unpleasant trip backstage.

2. If you are daring enough to utilize a stroller in heavy crowds, PLEASE do not use it like a snowplow, it hurts when you get hit with one of those darn things.

3. FOR THE LOVE OF WALT, don't stop moving if you are in a walkway!

4. Finally....Follow the Flashlights! Stay to your right! And please, take every opportunity to stand next to me and mock me as you waive your "light saber" in the air. And no Mr. Jedi, I will not battle you with my mini saber.

Im sure most of you have experienced the madness that ensues after the fireworks finish. Any ideas or suggestions on improving this?
    I wanted to add one thing you didn't mention. You added that strollers should not be used at snowplows however what about the guests that think its a hurdle and assume they can jump over it. I don't want to stir up the stroller debate again however I don't tolerate those that think they can just push my stroller aside or step in front of it or jump over it. I just want to remind everyone that I have children in the stroller and that they have gotten hurt because of insensitive guests who push them aside or jump over them and end up tripping on them. My sons have gotten hurt or scratched and these guests think its my fault that I did NOT move my stroller out of the way while I was walking with the cow herd as well.

• Who's your DaddyB?

Here's something Disney could do to help crowd control after the fireworks...

OPEN THE ALTERNATE (backstage) EXITS!
    My theory is that Disney only uses this in extreme, and I mean extreme, situations because they want everyone to walk down Main Street so they get a little more cash from people doing some last minute spending. If Disney really cared about the whole crowding situation, the alternate exits would be used on most every weekend night.

Oh, and you know what else would help? Open more exit gates, including the wide main gate after the fireworks. Yes, some nights there's still 45 minutes left or more before the park is closed by the time the fireworks end, but there is still a large crush of people trying to leave, and herding us all through those little exit turnstyles is ridiculous and unnecessary. We don't need handstamps at this point of the evening, and even if we did, there could be many gates opened for an exit that could be left unmanned. Instead the number is like 1 unmanned turnstyle for 3 manned ones to 3 or 4 closed off ones that can't be used. All it would take is 2 or three security guards at the double-door style exit gate to keep folks from coming in through them.

If you know the majority of your crowd is leaving all at once, you should do them the service of allowing them to leave... and understand that people get cranky when they are not allowed to leave because Disney is greedy for those last few bucks or just generally doesn't want to pay to staff the exits properly.

The real problem lies with your bosses, my friend.
    ---------------------------------------------

a walk around the park... Star Tours, Nemo, Fantasyland, Frontierland, DCA... and more!

• Nice Guy

Blog Entries
    I have two rules I follow when I go to the park.

1. Treat the CMs like they are my best friend.
    2. Pick up trash that is laying around.
    >>Alan<<
    Member 216

• Best Buds

Quote Originally Posted by dizneyslave
    I find this is true. We always try to be on our best behavior in the parks (well, as good as we can be when we're all excited about being at Disneyland) and the CMs do seem to appreciate it. We're all in this together, so let's make the most of it and have some fun!
    ------------------
    DLR '84, 85, 96, 02, 05, 06x2, 07x2, 08x2, 09, 10, 11; WDW '92, 98, 00, 06, 08, 10; DLP '02; TDR '07

Hey, check out my podcast!
    http://www.comedy4cast.com

• Do You Wanna Get Rocked?

Blog Entries
    Here is a small suggestion!! A walking path in front of the castle for the people who want to pass before the fireworks start! I noticed that they let people "mark Off" their spots atleast an hour before the show starts! They spread out and get comfy then yells at those of us who would like to get by!! I really don't want to walk 10 minutes out of my way to get to my destination that is only two minutes away!

You CM's rock my world. I Love You guys and girls. Thank You for keeping the magic in Disneyland alive. I hope one day i can be just like you guys. After a long days work you guys don't seem to be tired or grumpy. I love the way you guys keep the peace.

• Lovin' Life!

I, too, appreciate all the CMs do to make our days magical. We avoided the stroller-thing by putting our son in a baby backpack (OK...so I'm married to Hoss Cartright...he offered to handle the load!)...and, I have to say, my son loved being up where he could see and hear all that was going on around him!

Fast forward to now (nearly 19 years...)...the reason most people get cranky (in my estimation) is because they are tired (they've been there a long time, some with kids that want everything they see...) and probably low on protein...most of the ones we encounter are those who are not APs and therefore, don't know the tricks of surviving 12+ hours in the park.

We are not in a hurry to leave after the fireworks ... in fact, we like to hang out and watche the multitudes blaze on down main street. We so appreciate the CMs...it takes a special person to handle the plethora of repeat questions, problems and frankly, insensitive guests who don't have a clue about anyone else besides themselves.

There should be a hall of fame for those CMs who, after a long, challenging day, return for yet more of the same. My hat goes off to all of you!
    ....it all began with a Mouse...

• Queen of Sarcasm

That is basically a good list that you have. Yesterday I worked parades and pyro and I only had 2 confrontations I guess you can say.

I was at the exit of an exit only pathway and had to tell people it was an exit only. Everyone was understanding of it except this family of 4. They took the time to tell me I was racist because I would not let them into the walkway and then the lady had the nerve to try to spit at me and then called me an explicitive. Then she got mad when we called security on her saying it was Disney's fault for doing some exit only paths.

The second one was this father with his young son who tried to do the same thing, go up the exit only path. I told them it was an exit only and then got distracted by another guest wanting to know where the bathrooms were. While I was answering the question the dad picked up his son and started RUNNING through the pathway. Fortunately my fellow CM at the other end saw what happened and made the dad turn around and go back to where he came from.

• I found my Prince!

i definitly see the importance in keeping guests moving and in order, and seeing as i go so often i don't mind the detours that pop up during parades, fireworks, or fantasmic however...i sometimes feel that the crowd control CMs are a little too rude with their directing guests. We already feel like cattle being herded because of the amount of people, but does that really call for the way we are yelled at? i can only guess how difficult this job must be, but there must be a way to get your point across nicer?

Wishful thinking?

Oh yeah, does anyone know do they always search the areas around the castle with a security dog before the fireworks, I was there the other day and they brought out a family of four they found hiding in Snow Whites Grotto

• Queen of Sarcasm

We try to be nice in the beginning with "please" and "thank you" but it gets to the point where if you are too nice that is where the guests take control and we are not supposed to let the guest be in control in situations like that. That is how we lose walkways and things. Towards the start of a parade or show is when it gets to the point of yelling but that is really the only way to be heard and it has been proven when you yell people listen to you.

• I found my Prince!

I understand. I just try to "go with the flow" and not let cranky guests get to me.(I never take the CM yelling personally cause of course I'm not the problem And you are very right PirateChick when yelled at people will listen.

Gosh..you cm's are so cool. You guys no how to keep it real. I look up to you all

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast