Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

For all castmembers or people that really know Disneyland

I am thinking about applying for a job as a castmember at disneyland for the summer?

I was wondering if being a castmember essential kills your enthusiasm for Disneyland when you go for a visit? My worry is that although im very passionate about disneyland..working their everyday for long periods of time will give me disneyland overkill? Do most of the castmembers passionate care for disneyland in general or are they just their to get a job?

Finally does anybody know the typical work schedule for a summer job hours and days etc.?

Thanks

Re: For all castmembers or people that really know Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by Titanfreak46 View Post
    I am thinking about applying for a job as a castmember at disneyland for the summer?

I was wondering if being a castmember essential kills your enthusiasm for Disneyland when you go for a visit? My worry is that although im very passionate about disneyland..working their everyday for long periods of time will give me disneyland overkill? Do most of the castmembers passionate care for disneyland in general or are they just their to get a job?

Finally does anybody know the typical work schedule for a summer job hours and days etc.?

Thanks
    If you ever work for The Walt Disney Company in a capacity that allows you to see backstage and see the way Disneyland actually operates, you'll never be able to look at The Magic Kingdom the same way again.

If you are concerned about preserving the way you currently feel about Disneyland, then you might want to consider employment elsewhere. Being on the inside of the Parks and Resorts business segment gives a person a completely different way of thinking that is neither entirely better nor entirely worse than that a guest experiences. But, I have heard a number of people inside the company say that, knowing what they know now, a part of them definitely wishes they could have just remained blissfully-ignorant guests.

There is, indeed, a sacrifice involved.

• Sock Puppet

Disney hires slaves, not Cast Members. You will be busy beyond anything you say...Prepare to have no life.

Near enough to disneyland to love the fireworks...

Oh please. Working for disney isn't that terrible. As long as you doin't let yourself get caught up in the stupid drama and bureaucracy bs.

Work schedules, and loss of magic is all penchant on what you want to do. Find a job that lets you help make magic all day and you'll be fine.

Good luck!

Near enough to disneyland to love the fireworks...

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTom View Post
    Disney hires slaves, not Cast Members. You will be busy beyond anything you say...Prepare to have no life.
    I'm no slave to a five-foot tall mouse thank you. I have plenty of a life.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Titanfreak46 View Post

Thanks
    I have a job posting for a "firer" (fireman) position on the Disneyland Railroad from a couple years ago. The hours listed are, quote, "Between 0 and 40 hours per week."

That should narrow it down for you!

• former CM

I'm very glad I worked there.
    Just be clear about what jobs you would like
    and don't do anything else.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    If you ever work for The Walt Disney Company in a capacity that allows you to see backstage and see the way Disneyland actually operates, you'll never be able to look at The Magic Kingdom the same way again.
    That's painting with a pretty broad, seemingly negative brush, Pragmatic. It sounds like you may have "issues" with your time there. But I suppose "never looking at the Magic Kingdom in the same way again" could also be construed positively. I certainly don't look at the park in the same light.

As someone who has spent a fair amount of time backstage (albeit not employed by Disney), I came away from those experiences even more greatly awed by what the company accomplishes. Knowing some of what happens backstage allowed me to appreciate the on-stage magic all the more.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

You can choose how to go to work and how you conduct yourself. If you think it's going to be terrible, it will be a self fullfilling prophecy. Having a good attitude will help you 10 fold later in life. Remember how you like to be treated and make sure you try and return that compassion.

Plus, if it isn't what you thought it would be, it won't be difficult to find a similar paying job. Give it a go!

Chad

•   

I wish I could get a job there at Disney to fix all that behind the seens "stuff" that nobody likes.............

• Dont make me unfriend you

I'm not sure how to answer your question. I worked there for two years. There are things that I loved about about working there and things that I hated. (Like most jobs)

I have seen and been to places that most guests never see. I learned much about Walt Disney and DL while employeed there. (But that was before the internet and so many sites like Micechat)

I have seen some (but not all) hard core Disney fans become disillusioned and burn out. One thing to remember is that working for the Mouse is still a job. Management doesn't treat CM's nicer or better because, "It's Disneyland, everybody is nicer at Disneyland!" Leads and Managers can still be mean SoB's at times. Also, the company is so large that sometimes working there CM's feel like "just a number" that the company doesn't care for them as individuals. That happens at other jobs too.

During slow times, you may have a hard time getting the hours you need or want. But during peak season, you may be getting more hours then you want. The hours I worked was pretty steady, but my days off changed each week. So there were a few days when I would have to work 7, 8 or even 10 days in a row without a day off, but then other times I would work two or three days then be given my "weekend" off. I rarely if ever got a Friday or Saturday night off.

So, like I said, it depends on you what happens. There were times I loved working there and times I hated it. It's hard to paint with a broad brush about people's experiences. Just realize that not all of the CM's have the hard core Disney passion that you might have. Their non-passion may or may not show up onstage, but you may hear it in backstage areas. I don't know if that will bother you or not.

• Eeyore smiling

Perhaps the answer is to get a job elsewhere, and to get an AP and enjoy the park as much as you can. Thereby you would be getting your Disney Fix without the danger of DL loosing its magic.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

My best advice: Cherish this experience if you get the job. Don't become bitter at how bad its become. You will eventually walk away from this job saying "that was such an easy job... I could have done it better."

Have the best attitude you can have, even if you're bored to tears. You are there to WORK so that the guests can PLAY. But understand that WORK doesn't mean you can't have fun.

You can have a life while working there but sometimes scheduling will make it hard on you. Suck it up and do it because if you do, you will get further much quicker and walk away with a much better experience than most.

Go to Disneyland a lot. Study the cast members while you're a guest. Look at the ones that are good and emulate that. Look at the ones that are horrible and vow never to be like that.

I look back at my stay at Disneyland with fond memories. There was a lot of bad while I was there, and I can tell you what they were but I have to sit and think about them. My overall experience was a good one and I STILL love Disneyland... maybe even MORE than I ever did... now that I know it inside and out.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

I work over at disneyland and before that i did the college program at disney world. I have to say that working for disney didn't destroy the magic for me, but gave me a deeper respect for it now i know how many things are done. I mean for example, i still get really excited when i still see mickey or any other characters, especailly if they come ride my attraction, i just simply forget about the reality of it. and yes during the busy seasons, you will be worked alot! and during the slow times you wish you could get more hours. but also pick something that you wouldn't mind doing. If you would like to create magic and have guest interactions, go into attractions, or maybe even stores. Heck go try out for a character host, i would love to do that but they put me in attractions instead but i don't plan on staying there to much longer, i hope to get into the entertainment department as a character host or something that will let me do what i love to do perform!

• Banned User

For me I haven't lost the Disney magic, I try to avoid backstage after parades or shows though because of the flood of characters that go back there and.. I won't finish that sentence. I still manage to go to Disneyland twice a month to ride a few rides and have fun. The only thing that killed my enthusiam at the park is living next to it, I hate the fireworks now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast