Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• An Actors Life 4 Me!!

My idea for improving starfield effect in Space Mountain

Hey all, I've had this idea for space mountain for a while..now when it was down for 2 years I always expected the starfield to be something like from Peter Pan (when you're flying around the island) or Tower of Terror (Hallway with floating stars before you drop) Or for those that remember..When Captain EO starts it had the floating star field effect and when the movie started it was just like WHOOOOAAAA!!! so when I did the first two rides during the rehab of SM I expected the stars of SM to be like that when it reopened..when I rode SM for the first time when it was re opened I was impressed at first but then when I looked around and saw projectors I thought it really ruined the effect of being 'in space'

So I thought if somehow the Imagineers were able to create the floating stars the way they do in the previous attractions I think it'd add a whole new dimension to SM. And they oughta create some kind of dome inside of the structure so you can't see the edges of the building which takes away more of the 'in space' feeling. They can also hide more of the track by wrapping some kind of black tubing around them with stars on wires..if I could draw it out I would if this doesn't make sense..and to provide the shooting star effect they could just use fiber optics and make the lights dance in certain directions...

sorry for the long post but i'm a stickler for details wanted to see what you guys think!
    From Family Guy:

When Brian the dog meets Michael Eisner at the car wash...

"Come to Disneyland!!!!! BRING MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Re: My idea for improving starfield effect in Space Mountain

As a concept, the lighting you describe would look fantastic. For it to be really effective, though, it would have to be really dark in there. You know how pitch black it is in Peter Pan's Flight, and it's lit mainly using blacklight.
    I am certainly in favor of a darker SM, but I just don't know if it's possible with all the other lighting effects going on already. Also, movement with the hanging starlight effect you mention could end up looking more like Firefly Mountain (but not the good kind of Firefly Mountain)
    The concept is pretty creative, however...wish I had thought of it.

• An Actors Life 4 Me!!

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    Also, movement with the hanging starlight effect you mention could end up looking more like Firefly Mountain (but not the good kind of Firefly Mountain)
    well when i said movement..I meant just certain rows would have the lights streaking across to give it the shooting star effect..or they could just build cables with lights on the wall and have the light streak on those...
    From Family Guy:

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by tvikorn View Post
    well when i said movement..I meant just certain rows would have the lights streaking across to give it the shooting star effect..or they could just build cables with lights on the wall and have the light streak on those...
    ahhh...gotcha

• I love this place!

Not sure how exactly they'd pull it off, but if it could look anything like the starfield in Peter Pan, that would be fantastic! Good idea!

• An Actors Life 4 Me!!

Quote Originally Posted by 5hr drive View Post
    Not sure how exactly they'd pull it off, but if it could look anything like the starfield in Peter Pan, that would be fantastic! Good idea!

yeah really..but hey it's DISNEY..they're supposed to be able to pull this stuff off!! lol
    From Family Guy:

•   

I think it's a great idea! I actually don't think it would be that hard to pull off either. It would be time consuming in the beginning but once they had it all up it would look great!!
    Only thing that would be a nightmare is having to replace anything that burns out or breaks. There were be millions of lights and it would be sooo hard to find the ones that aren't working. I picture it being something that they would just let go with time and we'd eventually be riding in almost total blackness until they decide to refurb.

yea, I was reallly disappointed in the star effect after the refurb. It still has that disco ball look. Why can't they at least use a projector like they do in planetariums? I was hoping for a fibre-optic like PP too...

• An Actors Life 4 Me!!

Quote Originally Posted by skoolpsyk View Post
    yea, I was reallly disappointed in the star effect after the refurb. It still has that disco ball look. Why can't they at least use a projector like they do in planetariums? I was hoping for a fibre-optic like PP too...
    yea totally!! planetariums are fun because of their starfield effect
    From Family Guy:

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Well, the Griffith Observatory is now using a new Zeiss Projector (I think it's called something like that). Disney should have bought the old one and could have used that.

But I kind of like SM the way it is. It kind of reminds me of the star effects in America Sings when the carousel would move from scene to scene. If you weren't around to see that, it was really cool!

• :)

Arent the ones in Peter Pan on very sharp tips which come up from the ground, I dont think their hanging....But i'm not 100% sure on this one, I heard that they're very sharp needles which have lights on the end (what are those things called again?) but yea....I think the reason they dont add such elaborate effects is because they have to evacuate at the least one time a day, people may hit, hurt, or break the starfields if they we're how you're describing.

• An Actors Life 4 Me!!

well they wouldn't have to use my ideas..i just threw some out to get started..i just think that SM needs an improved starfield effect with some way of giving the illusion that the stars are floating
    From Family Guy:

• Banned User

You know, I completly agree with you and I had the exact same idea, but I think it would be better and more realistic to just have fiber Optics in the surrounding walls(some in clusters foeming Galaxies, etc), then it would really look like space (Also I thought of spheres that are lit from the inside to look like planets) because in reality the effect your talking about wouldn't happen in space, and if Zeus is right, it would be hard to evacuate. Anyways, great idea, hope it happens,...nevermind, I'll make sure it happens!

Fiber optics are great, but they're not all that bright, as Disney found out during their tests to replace the electrical parade. They would require massive fiber optic infrastructure, and who knows how it would look.
    I think it would be cool to have that extra dimension. They could hang from the ceiling, and be affected by the movement of the rockets and the air-conditioning system that howls through the mountain. It might look convincing.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

I actually was thinking along the same lines as yourself, though it was instigated by Rockin' Space Mountain. Because of the special lighting they do for that version, the aspect of "space" is completely destroyed. So if in some way our idea was put within Space Mountain, it would not only be cooler but Rockin' would also work better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast