Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

12 years ago Today

The success of Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular! at Disney-MGM Studios in Orlando, Florida, George Lucas decided to join forces with Disney in creating a new attraction for Disneyland Park in Anaheim, California. Unlike the previous collaboration, this attraction was created with a backstory "set in the Lost Delta of India, circa 1935.

Indiana Jones Adventure is the third collaboration between WDI and Lucasfilm, after the Disneyland attractions Captain EO and Star Tours.

Several early concepts were considered including a walk-through adventure and a high-speed mine car adventure within a temple. To avoid a long queue, Imagineers considered using Jungle Cruise launches to shuttle guest to the loading area.

Groundbreaking began for Forbidden Eye in August of 1993. More than 400 imagineers worked on its design and construction, with a core team of nearly 100.[1] It entailed rerouting the Jungle Cruise attraction, the creation of 0.5 mile of queue area, demolishing an area of the former "Eeyore" parking lot and building a 50,000 square foot structure to house the ride itself.

Forbidden Eye debuted on March 3, 1995. Among the celebrated guests were George Lucas, Michael Eisner, Dan Aykroyd, and Carrie Fisher.

Interestingly enough, the voice of the attraction is not Harrison Ford, but David Temple, a Hollywood voiceover talent, who, at that time, had been relatively undiscovered. But after answering an audition call, his agent submitted him for the role. Temple turned it down at first, saying he wasn't even sure if he could impersonate Ford. After several callbacks, and dozens of Hollywood's finest voices, Temple said he'd give it one more try. "What did it for me was coming to the point where I realized, while watching a video of Mr. Ford's work, was not as much about his voice, as it was about how he moved his mouth while speaking; I mimicked the movement's of his mouth, threw away some of the things I was trying to copy, and voila--I got it." In that moment, David Temple not only snagged the job, but got an agent out of the deal, made a tidy little sum, and went on to pursue his voiceover career, which he enjoys to this day.

To promote the opening of the ride the Disney Channel produced an hour-long TV program entitled Indiana Jones Adventure featuring Karen Allen and John Rhys-Davies reprising their roles from Raiders of the Lost Ark. Artist Drew Struzan produced a one-sheet poster in the same theme as the films.

The attraction was sponsored by AT&T. "It’s great to have AT&T as presenting sponsor," said Disneyland President Paul Pressler. "With Disneyland celebrating its 40th Anniversary and preparing to open its most exciting attraction, we welcome the opportunities this relationship is sure to create.

The Legend

Temple of the Forbidden Eye (Disneyland): According to the storyline given in a newsreel shown before you board the attraction, a new shrine (somewhere in India) has been discovered, full of artifacts and treasures as well as an ancient curse. The curse of Mara, it is told, will offer all who came to the hallowed site one of three magical gifts: Earthly Riches, Eternal Youth or Future Knowledge. Good fortune has come to those who survive, but for those who look into the eye of Mara, a gruesome demise is imminent.
    Temple of the Crystal Skull (Tokyo DisneySea): The attraction is set in the area of the park called Lost River Delta, which represents somewhere in South America. The storyline is similar. This time Indiana Jones is looking for the Fountain of Youth, and the guardian of this temple is the Crystal Skull.

Guests board a dark ride type vehicle, designed to look like a World War II troop transport, running along a single central track. There are three rows of seats, with each row accommodating up to four guests, the left-most seat in the front row having access to a non-operational steering wheel.

Each troop transport is basically a miniature motion simulator known as an enhanced motion vehicle that travels along a track. The transport "shell" sits on top of a chassis that moves along the track at about 12 miles per hour. Hydraulics built into the chassis cause the shell to shudder, bank, and twist, creating a physically intense experience.

This ride system was invented for the Indiana Jones Adventure, and has only been implemented in two other rides—DINOSAUR, located at Disney's Animal Kingdom in Orlando, Florida, and its Tokyo DisneySea counterpart, Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the Crystal Skull.

In addition to dialogue and sound effects, an orchestral soundtrack plays through the speakers built into the troop transports. This medley contains segments of John Williams' original scores for the first two Indiana Jones movies, rescored and re-recorded to sync up with the perils of the ride. The "Raiders's March" and "Ark theme" both feature prominently at various points.

Happy Birthday Indiana Jones Adventure!

Walt's love of Trains!

• Banned User

Re: 12 years ago Today

My life is flashing before my eyes! It's been 12 years already? Good heavens!!!!!!!!!!!!

hey its old school time

Walt's love of Trains!

• Shubisha

Did any ride NOT start out as a walk-through attraction?:P Do they just do it that way as a joke?:P All right so we've planned this new walk-through attraction *knowing chuckles around the table* Or maybe they just like to tell people that these great and detailed rides started out only as a simple walk through and oh goody what they became heh.

/I bet the carousel and teacups even started as a walk through
    //And how was exactly was Michael Eisner a special guest at that time? heh. Special guest, Michael Eisner! We're letting him into the park for free but just this once
    ///oh yeah and the ride itself turned out pretty good too

• Bring Your Own Redemption

Yay! Happy Birthday to Indiana Jones Adventure!

If anyone is interested, from Wikipedia, here's a drawing of the range of motion on the Enhanced-Motion Vehicle(E.M.V.)...

Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Sock Puppet

Nice report.

I wonder... does anyone have construction pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    Did any ride NOT start out as a walk-through attraction?:P Do they just do it that way as a joke?:P All right so we've planned this new walk-through attraction *knowing chuckles around the table* Or maybe they just like to tell people that these great and detailed rides started out only as a simple walk through and oh goody what they became heh.

//I bet the carousel and teacups even started as a walk through
    Well the Disneyland Railroad never started out as a walk through.

Walt's love of Trains!

Walt's love of Trains!

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

Badge given to guests attending the opening of the Indiana Jones Adventure attraction at Disneyland, Feburary 25-28, 1995.

• Bring Your Own Redemption

Two questions...

In the first days of the ride's opening, how long exactly was the wait time, and where did it extend to? As far as Main Street?

Also, is Indiana housed in the building that has that camouflaged side facing Downtown Disney and the tram station?
    Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

I was given this. and The first time I ever went on Indy

Walt's love of Trains!

• Shubisha

Quote Originally Posted by »PW View Post
    Two questions...

In the first days of the ride's opening, how long exactly was the wait time, and where did it extend to? As far as Main Street?

Also, is Indiana housed in the building that has that camouflaged side facing Downtown Disney and the tram station?
    Yes it would go all through the temple inside and out and then go back through adventureland along the Bazaar shops and up into Main Street for a couple weeks after its opening.

And also yes the 'camoflauge' building by downtown disney and where you get off your tram is where the show building is. You can hear the boulder crash every few seconds even. There's another camoflauge building a bit more back that holds Pirates. Previously to them building Indiana Jones the monorail would go along the Pirates one instead and the Pinocchio section of the parking lot filled the area(hence the Eeyore signs in the attraction etc).

Quote Originally Posted by »PW View Post
    Two questions...

When the ride open the line was 4hrs and went all the way down to the main gates.

The Green building is Indy and yes the sound effect of the rock crashing is going off every 18 seconds

Walt's love of Trains!

• Head Postmaster of Random

In a lay-z boy licking stamps and slaping minions...

man i was there on opening night...and i thought i was young i feel old now...poor me...lol
    "Permane Ser Sentados Por Favor"
    "Watch out for anything that ssssslliittherzzz"
    "Launch control, LV....Go ahead....All video recorders off."

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    I'm glad that you have an interest concerning postal delivery, mousephreak. We've needed better mail service for some time now. Therefore, with the power vested in me it is of great delight that I dub thee, Head Post Office Dude of Random. Arrise and start licking those stamps! We're backed up, and time is money.
    If you won the lottery what would you do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Buy a bunch of monkeys and have them re-enact the Civil War for my amusement.

• The Picture Guy

This ride still remains as my favorite ride in the whole wide world !!

I think one of the reasons why it feels so magical is its location inside Adventureland, where it is tucked between jungle cruise and the tree house. This entrance to Indiana Jones is so ingeniously designed, it cannot possibly look any better anywhere else.

To be honest, I think the CA version is in a better location than the Tokyo Version. In the CA version, many people wondered how you can walk for miles and experience such a big attraction that is all squeezed into a building that looks no bigger than a small 2-story temple on the outside. And that's a big part of the Disney Magic !!

I am the picture guy---A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast