Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• 28:06:42:12

Lightbulb Current and former CMs...a question

...even if you haven't worn the Disneyland name tag for several months/years now, do you ever find yourself helping strangers while in the Park (if you're a current CM, do you do it while playing in the Park)?

I worked at DL in summer 1995, and also DL and DCA summer 2003, and even now, when I haven't worn a Disney costume/nametag for 2 years, I find myself helping strangers trying to puzzle out where to find certain attractions are, or where a certain restaurant/show is. I'll even do the "Disney Point" (two fingers or open hand rather than one finger) to point out directions. I'll let them in on little Disney secrets, like Hidden Mickeys (I once pointed out the Hidden Eeyore in Indy to a roomful of gawking tourists with the help of a CM)...for instance, I'll point out the one on POTC and then encourage them to find the hidden Mickeys elsewhere in the Park(s).

I can't help myself. I love the Park, I loved my time there, and I know it's frustrating to be a newbie to the Parks and not know where anything is. Yeah, I find Stupid Guest Tricks as amusing as the next CM, but I try to be helpful when I can (and when people seem genuinely puzzled/overwhelmed and not just stupid).

Am I alone in this?

• Newbie.

That just shows that Disney hires the best. You're awesome.
    As nice as the other parks are, we must always remember that it all began at Disneyland. Disneyland should be the crown jewel in the Disney crown.

• Videographer

Heck, I've never officially worn a DLR badge and I help people out every trip I make to the Parks.

RU

• Hooterville, USA

Quote Originally Posted by RU42
    Heck, I've never officially worn a DLR badge and I help people out every trip I make to the Parks.

RU
    Same here.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Looking for Love

Quote Originally Posted by Marie
    .... I'll even do the "Disney Point" (two fingers or open hand rather than one finger) to point out directions.
    Is this a Disney trade secret that is taught to CM's at Disney School?

• Lovin' Life!

Isn't that funny...we (those of us who LOVE DL) seem to make ourselves available ...when we were there on May 5th, several people approached my husband and me (we were sporting the gold name badges), asking us various questions. We just acted like this was normal and helped where we could.

I guess you could say, since DL is like home to many of us, we tend to be the best Host/Hostess we can be to our "guests".
    ....it all began with a Mouse...

• Minion

Yes I still do help out others and believe it or not, people still come up to me wherever I am to ask for help. I remember specifically being at Universal Citywalk and a group of Japanese tourist came up to me and my friend asking for help. I have even one friend who never worked at Disneyland who constantly has people coming up to him asking him for help. He gladly helps them as that is his nature but then he turns to me and says "What? Do I have Disney written all over me?"

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries
    Yes, I have helped every time I go, even helping with crowd control after the fireworks (directing folks around the castle instead of waiting for it to reopen) If I overhear someone with a question I can answer, I usually but in and offer help, as well as offering to take pictures sometimes. I can't help it- it makes my day better if I am able to help others enjoy their day.

My biggest thing is picking up trash while I am waiting in line. My husband HATES THIS! I can't help it- getting to that stuff in the corners is a pain in the *** and it is ingrained in me now to keep my park clean (sweeper for life!)
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• Minion

Honestly, every AP considers themself a "cast member". It's just to bad they seem to love giving out wrong information!

• 28:06:42:12

Quote Originally Posted by Derekuda
    Is this a Disney trade secret that is taught to CM's at Disney School?
    I'm not sure it's a "trade secret," exactly, but at "Disney University," we were taught to point with two fingers or an open hand rather than one finger, because in some cultures the one-finger point is considered an extremely rude gesture. And, since we dealt with Guests from all over the world and from many different cultures, we were taught the two-finger or open-hand point.

I still use it to this day, whether I'm at the Parks or not.

• Videographer

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    Honestly, every AP considers themself a "cast member". It's just to bad they seem to love giving out wrong information!
    Hey, be careful not to lump all APs into the same category. Just as it would be wrong to lump all CMs into a single category. I am sure some APs give out wrong info but I have corrected plenty of CMs over the years.

Sure, some APs are schmucks - but not all of us. Some of us are very respecful and helpful.

RU

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by RU42
    Hey, be careful not to lump all APs into the same category. Just as it would be wrong to lump all CMs into a single category. I am sure some APs give out wrong info but I have corrected plenty of CMs over the years.

Sure, some APs are schmucks - but not all of us. Some of us are very respecful and helpful.

RU
    I'm an AP too, but man... ALOT of us don't know WHAT we're talking about!

• Hey, that's not Rose!

Never been a CM either, but last year I couldn't help but overhear a mom on her walkie talkie with her kids saying to meet at space mountain. I had to interupt and tell them, and boy were they surprised it was closed. That puzzled me, I thought everyone knew!!
    It's Robin Hood I want!

Disneyworld 1987

•   
    • debating what to put here

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    I'm an AP too, but man... ALOT of us don't know WHAT we're talking about!
    I'm an AP as well. I will usually help when I hear someone with a question but not if I have some doubt about my info. I'll point them to a bathroom or tell them how fastpass works but I'm not going to say "The parade is at 5" if I don't have a clue. I would hope that most people, AP holders or not, are like that. I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions though.
    "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"
    - Satchel Paige

• Me and Tommy Kirk

After I left the Disney Stores, when I'd go in for a visit I would still be drawn to, and straighten up "Plush Mountain", or offer to help guests. (When the stores first opened, we did Disneyland type training for several days and took tests before we got to go onstage) Then anytime I'm at DL, I volunteer to take pictures for people or give directions, or answer trivia. It's so second nature, it really gets into your blood!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast