Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• FastPass n00b

Re: Where can you spot the PeopleMover track?

How did they get that big dome theater on the 2nd level of Innoventions? I always loved the Tron Tunnel, but since I never realized it was a part of the Innoventions building until after it shut down, I never thought to look at where I really was.

It was kind of weird, if you looked straight ahead and concentrated, it really felt as if you were going 200 MPH. I never knew what it was referencing of course (I don't think to this day people know about Tron), but I liked it nevertheless. However, even in the 1980's it was already starting to show signs of dating itself and being cheesy. Tron was just too far ahead of its time, if it had been released 20 years later, it would've been a blockbuster.

• It's all nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by barfownz View Post
    I'm just wondering in what places can the peoplemover track be seen?
    You can see the Peoplemover track in your heart.

• Sock Puppet

Here is the thread with pictures:

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53813

Here is Sadako's photo from that thread, brightened to show the track:

I just got to thinking, if the PM track is still there, that would imply that it was taken down during Space Mountain construction, then added back. If they didn't have any plans with it AT ALL, I would be silly to put it back. Hmmm,, this is an interesting proposition.
    Last edited by UncleTom; 03-05-2007 at 08:40 AM.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I don't think the superspeed tunnels were on the second story of Innoventions. I think they were closer to the current Pizza Port. There are two large walls at angles to each other in the covered outside eating area across from the entrance to the HISTA Theatre. I think the tunnels were in there.

The superspeed tunnel was on the second floor of what is now innoventions. The track used to run through the center of the second story. While innoventions was being built, the original peoplemover track that went around the back of the building was discovered much to the delight of the staff. This section of track was used to view "progress city" from the upper floor windows when carousel of progress was the building's main attraction. The track that ran through the center was removed and the older, original track was reconnected. Before the Tron films were installed, the superspeed tunnel showed various speeding vehicles. They had a lot of track from the world's fair project and so the peoplemover cruised all over the tomorrowland outdoors. The only thing that bothered me was the barrier that was placed on a section of track in the farther reaches of Tomorrowland which blocked your view of backstage.

• The Power To Do More

Does anyone know of a track layout schematic/diagram that shows the path of the peoplemover?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTom View Post
    Here is the thread with pictures:

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53813

Here is Sadako's photo from that thread, brightened to show the track:

I just got to thinking, if the PM track is still there, that would imply that it was taken down during Space Mountain construction, then added back. If they didn't have any plans with it AT ALL, I would be silly to put it back. Hmmm,, this is an interesting proposition.
    The track was never taken out, it was simply left there.

Like how when they built BLAB, the imagineers PURPOSELY left the PeopleMover track there in hopes that one day, a new attraction will run through the show building, showcasing TL once again.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    The track was never taken out, it was simply left there.

Like how when they built BLAB, the imagineers PURPOSELY left the PeopleMover track there in hopes that one day, a new attraction will run through the show building, showcasing TL once again.
    Are you saying they built around it? I can't imagine that at some point, some of it was removed to make room and wedge in the new track. My point being that they took it down temporarily (you know, like the Monorail and Nemo) and put it back for future use.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

In the line of Star Tours that they use when it gets busy.

-Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTom View Post
    Are you saying they built around it? I can't imagine that at some point, some of it was removed to make room and wedge in the new track. My point being that they took it down temporarily (you know, like the Monorail and Nemo) and put it back for future use.
    The track has always gone through Space Mountain since Space opened. When Space Mountain went down for it's several-year refurb, they didn't gut the whole building...all they did was replace the track and add a few elements. If you're saying that they re-built the physical building that holds the roller coaster, you're mistaken.

That PeopleMover section of track has always physically been there since Space Mountain opened...including when Rocket Rods was in service. When the latter attraction was closed for good, it's track, as seen everywhere else in TL, just remained. The track hasn't been touched since (with the exception of painting some of it on the outside, or attempts to block the viewing of the track). Since Space Mountain is so dark, Disney has probably felt little need to "block off" view of the old PeopleMover track inside the building...you can't see it unless you know to look for it.

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by avromark View Post
    Does anyone know of a track layout schematic/diagram that shows the path of the peoplemover?
    VERY roughly it went like this...

But I don't know of an official diagram of it.
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

• The Power To Do More

Thank-you. It's close enough to illustrate how extensive the track is. Does anyone know if the track is complete right now? If it's still structurally sound?

• Banned User

Thank-you. It's close enough to illustrate how extensive the track is. Does anyone know if the track is complete right now? If it's still structurally sound?
    Also, Is the full track there? I know that the track isn't in people mover form. THe metal rod in the center for the Rocket rods is still there? Correct?

• The Useless Prince

Blog Entries

that is the same track they used for PM as rocket rods......one reason why Rocket rods was closed...the turns from th PM track were to sharp....and the turns wore the tires out and caused malfunctions in the vehicles

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

As far as those outside of TDA know, the concrete parts are still structurally sound. Although rumours abound that the RRs were shaking them apart. From what I understand this is an exaggeration of what was actually happening. The track was being shaken loose from its footing by the RR's lateral forces. If they had been banked, as per the original concept, those forces would have been moved closer to 90 degrees to the horizontal. Meaning the tracks wouldn't have suffered from the torque.

I think the RR's closure was more to do with the constant breakdowns and the high cost of worn tires. But only those inside TDA know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by barfownz View Post
    Also, Is the full track there? I know that the track isn't in people mover form. THe metal rod in the center for the Rocket rods is still there? Correct?
    Again, as far as we all know the complete tri-rail system is there still. The most recent satellite imagery is Microsoft VE Flash Earth Rules you all! (Google's is older) around the old loading station you can clearly see the tracks are still there. But the other areas exposed I can't tell if it's there or not. People tell us that the track's still there near the Monorail station, and I can't see any reason why TDA would go to the expense of ripping it all up, so I assume it's still rusting away elsewhere.

I doubt that what remains is useful for any new ride system, no matter what speed. It would been too exposed to the elements and unmaintained for too long.
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12