Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

• Shubisha

Not so happy look at "Disney Dream Jobs"

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...home-headlines

An LAtimes article today that focuses on housing problems for Disneyland resort CMs, in light of Disney striking down the housing projects planned for Anaheim.

A few blocks away, directly across the street from the housing development that's been scuttled, Antonio lives with his wife and 19-year-old son in a $900 one-bedroom. After 15 years working banquets at the Disneyland Hotel, he makes $11.27 an hour and fears he'll lose this apartment if and when Disney builds its third theme park.

• Lost in Wonderland

Re: Not so happy look at "Disney Dream Jobs"

My brother lives in Anaheim and is in the process of trying to move out here in AZ. I knew it was bad when he lived in a $1,500 a month studio he said was as small as a closet. Really if Disney is so opposed to the housing so close, why don't they help find somewhere else to build it (but still pretty close to the park)?
    Last edited by adormouse; 03-03-2007 at 04:06 PM.

This article is the most ridiculous thing I've ever read.

To Summarize: Disney workers who make $7.00 an hour...don't live in mansions.

And this is news?

Bank Tellers, who work at Bank of America, don't make much more, at $10.00 an hour, and they don't live in mansions either. And, they work for a bank !!

Retail workers who work at the luxurious South Coast Plaza...which keeps buying up land to expand (but not for employee housing).....don't make much more than minimum wage. They can't afford to buy the items they sell.

These are hardly startling revelations.......the idea that workers who make minimum wage aren't (gasp) millionaires.

Newsflash: Many salaried professionals aren't millionaires either, and also, don't live in mansions.

But for some reason, this idea prevails and pervades....that Disneyland needs to provide mansions and shower its largess on the poor put-upon minimum wage workers.

The overwhelming sense of entitlement everyone has nowadays.

More and more, this idea that it's the responsibility of Big Business to make its Labor millionaires, with the fancy housing to go with it.

My opinion is that the only responsibility Big Business has is to provide jobs.

But, apparently that's not enough for some people.

• no flash photography...

an employer does not have the responsibility to provide housing to it's employees. That is absurd.

They took the job knowing the pay in advance. Nobody is forcing them to work there. It's a choice. If they do mot like their quality of life based on their choices then they also have the choice to change that as well.

• 88 mph

Quote Originally Posted by Pisces View Post

And this is news?

Bank Tellers, who work at Bank of America, don't make much more, at $10.00 an hour, and they don't live in mansions either. And, they work for a bank !!

Retail workers who work at the luxurious South Coast Plaza...which keeps buying up land to expand (but not for employee housing).....don't make much more than minimum wage. They can't afford to buy the items they sell.

These are hardly startling revelations.......the idea that workers who make minimum wage aren't (gasp) millionaires.

Newsflash: Many salaried professionals aren't millionaires either, and also, don't live in mansions.

But for some reason, this idea prevails and pervades....that Disneyland needs to provide mansions and shower its largess on the poor put-upon minimum wage workers.

More and more, this idea that it's the responsibility of Big Business to make its Labor millionaires, with the fancy housing to go with it.

This is true, but also consider the fact that it IS Disney and they have to be different from other companies.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary... Impossible is nothing."
    -Adidas
    Quote Originally Posted by KISSman View Post
    In the grand scope of life, there's nothing actually cool about being knowledgeable about an amusement park.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeronius View Post
    This is true, but also consider the fact that it IS Disney and they have to be different from other companies.
    no ...they don't....

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Pisces View Post

And this is news?

A rather absurd reaction.

Whatever your social-economic-political philosophy might be, there's a vast difference between paying workers a survival wage and making them millionaires,which no one is proposing. Or providing 'mansions' vs subsidizing - or at least supporting - affordable housing within reasonable commuting distance of the resort.

Why don't you defend your point of view without resorting to straw-man arguments.

• 88 mph

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    no ...they don't....
    Disney runs things differently. Why do you think they're at the top?

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary... Impossible is nothing."
    -Adidas
    In the grand scope of life, there's nothing actually cool about being knowledgeable about an amusement park.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeronius View Post
    Disney runs things differently. Why do you think they're at the top?
    they don't stay at the top (I'm guessing you mean the top of the amusement park world) by paying employees $25.00 an hour and providing housing. That is silly to expect any company to do this. Especially when the employees have no prior training or experience and no education. It;s an entry level job and you want them to have more benefits than people who have master degrees...insane...

• 88 mph

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    they don't stay at the top (I'm guessing you mean the top of the amusement park world) by paying employees $25.00 an hour and providing housing. That is silly to expect any company to do this. Especially when the employees have no prior training or experience and no education. It;s an entry level job and you want them to have more benefits than people who have master degrees...insane...
    I'm not quite sure we understand each other. I was agreeing with Pisces.

-Adidas

• Shubisha

There's a difference. If I work in the valley making Disney wages I can find somewhere cheap enough to pay rent for. But in Anaheim there's practically nothing. So you've got the typical low paying jobs but nowhere to live nearby to do it. It leaves many CMs with few choices such as not working there, horrible commutes, all their wages going into their rent, etc... And when the city tried to build more housing availibility, Disney shot it down. That's the issue, not people being unable to live in mansions.

After reading the article, I have to say that I think Disney is wrong in this case. OMG! What did I just say!

Wait, uh, okay, back on thought... True, no company needs to provide housing to it's employees, and also true, no company needs to raise wages to allow for housing. But in this case, a company went out of it's way to stop a housing development that could have really helped it's employees. People are really under the wrong impression as to what affordable housing means. This isn't really a blame issue, it's more of a lack of education issue. Affordable housing just means that a family can live without having to give up the necessities of life. No one should have to worry about paying for their medicine over feeding their family. This just isn't right. Housing is a big issue in heavily urbanized areas like Southern California. It's even a big issue in not so urbanized areas like Minnesota. People need places to live, it's a fundamental requirement of life. Every person has the right to a warm bed and a non-leaking roof over their heads, it's not a matter open to debate. If these people work hard, live honestly, and care for themselves and others, then they should have the opportunity to live in a place they deserve. No one deserves a four hour commute to work, no one deserves to live in a one bedroom hotel room with seven other people. This isn't right. We as Americans are supposed to be the beacon of hope to the world. I'm sorry, I will defend Disney until my dying day, but in this case, they are wrong, they should be better then this, as should we all.

BTW: Disney provides housing for 5,000 students in Central Florida each year with very little complaint, how hard could it be to do it for some of their full time employees in Anaheim?
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

• I'm baaaaccckkk!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYardDog View Post
    A rather absurd reaction.

Whatever your social-economic-political philosophy might be, there's a vast difference between paying workers a survival wage and making them millionaires,which no one is proposing. Or providing 'mansions' vs subsidizing - or at least supporting - affordable housing within reasonable commuting distance of the resort.

Why don't you defend your point of view without resorting to straw-man arguments.

I second that.....
    While Big Businesses do provide jobs, the goal of big business is profits.
    Most big businesses make their CEO's and Board of Directors millionares, sometimes billionares, while they stiff their workers. IMHO, the ethical thing to do would be to pay a living wage, and lower the compensation for the CEO's and Board of Directors... They'll STILL be rich, and their workers will be a little more comfortable.
    <3 Chloe

• Goofy

This is a sad story to hear, And as much I like disney, I agree with Doppelv. Why can't they do the same thing as florida.

Quote Originally Posted by DoppelV View Post
    BTW: Disney provides housing for 5,000 students in Central Florida each year with very little complaint, how hard could it be to do it for some of their full time employees in Anaheim?
    Because the amount of people sharing space in the Disney World College Program dorms provide even less square feet per person than a Hotel Banquet Server living in an 800 square foot apartment with his wife and 19 year old son.

Walt Disney World is not giving each College Program CM their own one bedroom condo with sunny breakfast nook. They are stacking college kids two to a room, four to a unit, in dorm-like apartments that have few amenities aside from a communal laundry room and a volleyball court. The kids living there are not permanent, they are usually there for just one semester, or six months at the most. This is not permanent living facilities where CM's make their long term homes, it's temporary dorms for kids trying to live it up before their Senior year. I'm sure there are some great keg parties on weekends, but aside from that it's not exactly a desireable place to live for anyone over the age of 25. And Disney takes a giant chunk out of those kids meager weekly paychecks for the privilege of living in the WDW College Program dorms. It ain't free to live in College Program housing, and Daddy sends extra money every month to help buy the pizzas and beer.

Meanwhile, back at Disneyland, name one other employer in Southern California who provides subsidized housing for its hourly employees. Name one.

Starbucks is a big succesful company, so how come the 12 dollar an hour baristas at the Starbucks on Katella don't get subsidized housing? McDonalds is a big succesful companry, so how come the 9 dollar an hour fry cooks at the McD's on Harbor Blvd. don't get subsidized housing? Howard Johnson's is a big succesful company, so how come the 11 dollar an hour front desk clerks at the HoJo's across from Disneyland don't get subsidized housing? Chevron Oil rakes in billions of profits per year, so how come the 10 dollar an hour cashier at the Chevron mini-mart on Ball Road doesn't get subsidized housing?

Name one employer in Southern California who provides subsidized housing for its entry level hourly employees, and then maybe we've got a case to build against Disneyland. But you won't find one to name, and so this is just more Disney bashing by the political left in the media. Disneyland is a huge single-site employer, and so they make an easy target for the papers.

Until then, this is an embarassing PR gaffe on the part of Disneyland. It was a mistake for them to sue the city of Anaheim over this silly condo development, they should have gone about it in a far less public way. Ed Grier's executive team just made one of the biggest publicity mistakes in Disneyland's history.
    Last edited by TP2000; 03-03-2007 at 07:12 PM.

Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast