Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ASMIO Concerns

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    I cannot tell if you're being serious or sarcastic... If you're being sarcastic then HAHA... If you're being serious, why are you being serious?

We've been enjoying POTC for decades and those were all robots. In fact, Disneyland is full of robots. Kids have been introduced to them for generations. Too much science fiction for you
    I don't think I was clear enough in what I said, or at least I could have worded it better. My concern isn't that ASMIO is a robot, my concern was that it is a human replacement. It's the type of human replacement that this robot is that I didn't like. Robots have already replaced many human jobs, especially in assembly lines, production and packaging. That wasn't my issue. My concern was that this robot is engineered to be as human as possible. To create a robot for a delegated task is one thing, to engineer a robot to be human in replacement is quite another.

I find it interesting that I've gotten comments about how I watch too much Science Fiction or too many movies. I am not a science fiction fan and I did not reference nor include any film in my points. Thanks for replying!

Where is exactly this new "theatre", and is it enclosed, or does it simply have a roof like the old Anacomical Theatre at Wonders of Life in Epcot? Oh, and how much does it seat? I've heard it includes many tributes to CoP, but one of those I've heard that it's in the same spot where Act 4 (the future in CoP, the 50's/60's in America Sings) was, is that true?...

Edit: Sorry, I mean the set includes tributes to CoP...

• Beyond Your Experience

I couldn't help but state its spelled ASIMO. Too many spelling errors in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Small Panda After All
    Speaking of I, Robot, Anyone else get the sorta creepy similarity between Asimo and Asimov (as in Isaac, the guy who wrote that book)?

I figure, progress happens whether we want it to or not. As long as we remain aware of the possible consequences, we should embrace something that has the potential to help so many people.
    you realize of course that Asimov didn't write I robot the film only says "inspired by books written by Isaac Asimov" technicaly Asimov wasn't big on the huge theory that robots will replace humans but he did like to go into the ramifications of humans creating life (which Asimo isn't even close too)

also if I'm not mistaken Honda is a japanese company :P this matters because in japan right now there is somewhat of a rush to create robotic technology that is capable of taking care of their elderly

Japan I believe is in an even worse situation then America is in, their young just arn't having that many kids at all and are isolating more or using protection and whatnot and thus there is no way that they will have enough people to handle the massive amounts of elderly AND run the country

Japan is big on screaning in who actualy becomes a citizen of their country as well so this complicates things more

rather then import labor from china (which would be heavily ironic because of waht Japan has done to china in the past) they are seriously looking at creating ways for robots to assist the elderly as much as possible

hence why bipedal robots like Asimio are being created, in the american market we are still very much into automating singular processes to be done by robots but in japan they feel the need for a robot that can accomplish a wider range of tasks

it should also be noted that Asmio has zero deductive reasoning skills and his object recognition has to be pathetic at best and presently we arn't at the point were we'd see any huge breakthroughs in that technology just yet

Asmio isn't going to be replacing any farmers working out on the crops and if anything he will be put in charge of tasks humans can't perform until it reaches the point were Asmio can be trusted with other tasks

even then robots will NEVER replace humans and it's just a bit paraniod to believe they will

robots don't desire anything and they can't it's fundamentaly impossible at least with the way we create the computers these days (how do you mathematicaly derive a formula for selfish and erratic behavior that is demonstrated in humans?)

I'm sure some sort of robot virus terrorism might take place in the far flung future or whatnot but honestly we're not endanger of anything from robots and they arn't going to destroy our lives anymore then every other bit of technology ever has

humans will never run out of work or things to do, if that were the case then we really should all be sitting around with massive amounts of free time, however instead everytime we develope a time saving device we use that as an excuse to work ten times more then before

so if history is the guide humans will be refusing sleep completly and racing like maniacs once robots can do everything for them

I don't care what anybody says. Asmio is nothing more than a fancy toy. It's not the end of the world.

• CM for 4 years!

It's ok, it shouldn't be a problem. Nobody goes into Innoventions anyway, except weird tourists from Utah and the Midwest. And no one's swaying them on anything.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• Feel the breeze!

ASIMO was pretty very impressive to see. From an engineering standpoint what Honda has done is an amazing feat which could have reprercussions across a number of industries in the future.

Will man eventually create a machine which will replace humans? Possibly. But I do not doubt he will eventually create a machine which could replace humans. We have developed many things over the years which could have (and still can have) potentially disasterous consequences to the human race, as well as could make profound changes in our daily lives.

As has been said earlier - science will go forward, whether we want it to or not. As long as someone sees a profit potential in following a specific path, they will follow it. How to make sure that these technologies have the least negative impact on human society is the responsibility of everyone and is something that must be discussed in a ration, non-technophobic, non-technoenthusiastic way.

• out & about

It slike watching the movie "I, Robot" come to life!

Has anyone ever heard of the "uncanny valley"?
    "There's no off position on the genius switch"

WplusK.com
    http://twitter.com/WRDinc

• Time Traveler

*shivers* Don't let me near it.
    I hate robots...

One Annual Pass-$365 379
    Gas For Car- $60
    Meeting Billy Goat Bob- Priceless

Well at least it was a topic for a different discussion

• Resident Fantasmic Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BoogaFrito
    A word of warning: if ASIMO's eyes suddenly glow red and he starts lumbering towards the audience, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD GET OUT OF INNOVENTIONS!!
    Deadly Robot or no, I still say....GET OUT OF INNOVENTIONS!!!

FF
    "A Journey Beyond Your Wildest Imagination..."

• Who's your DaddyB?

I saw the Asimo presentation. (Asimov / Asimo... anyone else notice the similarities, or am I just slow?)

While I didn't notice that the presentation being directed at children, I thought the whole presentation was extremely canned. There's nothing in the presentation that isn't scripted and timed out to the second. I mean, if an "animator" can "talk" to "Mushu" over at DCA's Animation building (by use of timing in their script) than what's to stop the whole Asimo presentation of being the same way. The whole show left me wondering if they just didn't program the little robot to
    • "move x number of steps this direction, turn x degrees and wave both hands. pause 32 seconds and move y direction 5 steps and pause"
    I would have like to seen Asimo interact with the audience to prove that there wasn't a "man behind the curtain" so to speak, or that the whole thing wasn't preprogrammed.

Was the soft, child-like voice even his? It came over the speakers as opposed to out of his body, so we have no way of telling.

I felt like the whole thing was one step above a lot of Hokum that you could find at any County Fair.

The going up and down stairs, the walking backwards, and the turning were impressive. It's just a matter of how interactive this robot really is.
    ---------------------------------------------

a walk around the park... Star Tours, Nemo, Fantasyland, Frontierland, DCA... and more!

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries
    Someday...they will become "Aware"... and then they will use your skin for a sofa.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyb
    I saw the Asimo presentation. (Asimov / Asimo... anyone else notice the similarities, or am I just slow?)

While I didn't notice that the presentation being directed at children, I thought the whole presentation was extremely canned. There's nothing in the presentation that isn't scripted and timed out to the second. I mean, if an "animator" can "talk" to "Mushu" over at DCA's Animation building (by use of timing in their script) than what's to stop the whole Asimo presentation of being the same way. The whole show left me wondering if they just didn't program the little robot to
    • "move x number of steps this direction, turn x degrees and wave both hands. pause 32 seconds and move y direction 5 steps and pause"
    I would have like to seen Asimo interact with the audience to prove that there wasn't a "man behind the curtain" so to speak, or that the whole thing wasn't preprogrammed.

Was the soft, child-like voice even his? It came over the speakers as opposed to out of his body, so we have no way of telling.

I felt like the whole thing was one step above a lot of Hokum that you could find at any County Fair.

The going up and down stairs, the walking backwards, and the turning were impressive. It's just a matter of how interactive this robot really is.
    Um...Disney has clearly stated that ASIMO was pre-programmed in this show for obvious reasons--they don't want him screwing up, as I'm sure would happen at times with him giving shows all day, every day. It did seem a little too scripted to me, and the Cast Member who does the show was kind of over-acting. I'm sure that will improve as time goes on, though, and the CMs become more comfortable w/ the script.

The voice is "its", yes...it doesn't have a gender...it's a robot. The day robots start procreating will be the day I say science has gone too far (though it will likely happen, since it would, in the long run, reduce production costs).

ASIMO is fully interactive, though.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries
    two comments-

Although I haven't seen the presentation yet, I doubt that ASIMO is being unusally marketed towards the children in the audience- most of the other presentations I have seen at Innoventions are done the same way, notice how they always pick kids out of the audience to answer questions and to participate in demonstrations? Children seem to be more easily amazed by things like this, plus it is entertaining for the rest of the audience to see a child's reactions and hear what they have to say. I doubt that it is a sinister marketing plot by Honda to indoctrinate our children and make them all want to give up their liberties to their robot overlords someday.

Also, I kind of resent the comment about wierd tourists from the midwest being the only ones that go there- I am from the midwest and I am not wierd, but I do go to Innoventions from time to time, if anything just to check my email or play video games- lets stay away from generalizations such as these, shall we
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast