Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ASMIO Concerns

• Who's your DaddyB?

Quote Originally Posted by pyrateslife4me84
    Um...Disney has clearly stated that ASIMO was pre-programmed in this show for obvious reasons--they don't want him screwing up, as I'm sure would happen at times with him giving shows all day, every day. It did seem a little too scripted to me, and the Cast Member who does the show was kind of over-acting. I'm sure that will improve as time goes on, though, and the CMs become more comfortable w/ the script.
    I guess I'm just not on Disney's email list, or I guess I got skipped over for that message. I did read that over on Mouseplanet this morning, though. They certainly don't state that anywhere in the show, so the somepeople are going to be put off by the canned interaction.

I still think that I'd only be really impressed with this gizmo if it were truly interactive. Having it set up like this ("preprogrammed") makes it about as awe-inspring as a clockwork toy... or as Mr. Lincoln (Don't get me wrong, I like the original Lincoln show, but more for it's history and patriotism than it's wonderment of animatronics).

Perhaps they ought to play Pinocchio's "little wooden head" for it's theme music instead of "It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow".

Over at Epcot's American Showcase doesn't Benjamin Franklin walk up stairs?
    ok, ok, it's a simulation of walking up stairs...
    ---------------------------------------------

a walk around the park... Star Tours, Nemo, Fantasyland, Frontierland, DCA... and more!

• FastPass n00b

Quote Originally Posted by BoogaFrito
    A word of warning: if ASIMO's eyes suddenly glow red and he starts lumbering towards the audience, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD GET OUT OF INNOVENTIONS!!

LOL, there have been so many sci-fi movies made about this, I'm sure that's on everyone's mind when it comes to human robots. But in reality, the implications of a humanoid robot are very useful. These are not Terminators or Hal or anything like that, imagine how they could help blind people or people who can't walk or someone with some other disability. It never sleeps so at 2:00 AM if someone has a problem, they always have someone by their side to help them.

I do think Disneyland's exhibit feels more like an infomercial. I wish they would've integrated more imagination or story into it kind of like Carousel of Progress. They could've done SO MUCH more with the show and I'm hoping they'll rethink it and tweak it as time goes on. I think Walt Disney would be please with the idea of the new exhibit, but they are going to need to go a lot further than a Home & Garden Convention style of presentation to fit with the quality of Disneyland attractions.

• Senior Minion

I saw it on June 3rd. When I saw the show at 4, there wasn't as many people. The show had a campy side to it yes. But I was fascinated by the technology that was before me, and in no way did I feel that it was targeted towards children.
    Even if they did I feel this would be a positive, because these days most kids by the time the are in college don't actually know what they want to do.

So why not give them something to shoot for?

I realize it would only be good for household help, or elderly care.

I would say that this is first of all good for Innoventions, because it is something about the future for once!
    Secondly, who needs video games in an attraction? Innoventions should be about new and future plans for tommorrow.
    Welcome ASIMO!!!
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherPixie
    The premiere event seemed more like an infomerical than a presentation.
    I thought that was what the whole building was about.... one big informerical.

• Who's your DaddyB?

I know this is getting off topic, but I agree with TicTocDragon that there are WAY too many video games in Innoventions. It's all about Disney's video games because it seems like every other corporate sponsor has pulled out of that Turkey. How can it be about innovative inventions that we'll see in our future when no one has anything innovative or inventive other than video games? Asimo and a Segway neither of which you can actually interact with... wow.

Frankly, Asimo has about zero return value to it, so I bet within a couple of months that theater is empty again.

By the way, in my weekly update at www.visionsfantastic.com you can see a whole bunch of pictures I took of the demonstration in the theater, and a short video I took of Asimo walking (the link to my update is at the top of the main visionsfantastic page), as well as close-ups to the homages to the Carousel Of Progress.
    Last edited by daddyb; 06-06-2005 at 09:02 AM.

a walk around the park... Star Tours, Nemo, Fantasyland, Frontierland, DCA... and more!

• Still lost in Neverland

Lest yee all forget, and I know Al hasn't as we talked about on Sunday at the meet, Tomorrowland has always had sponsers and has always advertised those sponser during the show. Carousel of Progress was one big commercial for General Electicic. Monsanto's Inner Space was one big commercial for Monsanto plastics and chemicals, as was the House Of The Future! One big commercial. Even Star Tours was sponsered by M&M's when it first opened. So why all of sudden all the negativity about a Honda Sponsered commercial as a show that, quite frankly, showcases an amazing technological achievement. The Mice Chat group that met on Sunday all saw it at 4pm show and were quite amazed by Asimo.

There is nothing "Scary" or "Freightening" about a four foot tall robot who walks on its own, climbs and descends stairs, and really is quite an amazing thing to watch. I don't think a lot of posters to this thread, especially those who haven't even seen the show yet, realize what an amazing peice of engineering Asimo is. See the show and learn just how technologicaly advanced Asimo is.

And I also see no problem with a robot doing toxic waste cleanup and rescuing people from burning buildings at all. Why risk a human life doing something like that? After all, it was a stupid human who caused these disasters. And, Asimo was developed in the first place to be an assistant to Handicapped people, that's why its only four feet tall. If you are in a wheelchair it's the perfect height for "eye to camera" line of sight. A lot of other things too.

I do think the show could be tweaked, I did not notice any part of the show that played down to children, and this exhibt even plays the old Carrousel of Progress music and almost all of the photos haning on the "Family's" walls are shots from that old show, which again was nothing more than a big fancy commercial for the General Electic brand of products. Talk about "Brand Placement" every contraption in that family's house was some kind of GE product. At least in Asimo's show they aren't trying to sell you a car or a robot.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Who's your DaddyB?

I agree that it seemed more like an infomercial than a product demonstration.

I just think the slickness of the set and canned dialogue of the human "feels" more like an informercial than a product display that you would see at a trade show. Granted Honda isn't trying to sell you something (other than their altruistic goodwill) that they want you to go right out and purchase today, but I couldn't help but feel it was the guy from RonCo products (Ron Popeil) over there just behind the curtain making Asimo move and giving him his voice.

I did find the many nods to the old Carousel of Progress refreshing. I wish they had the animatronic dog laying beside the desk. I miss the old fella. But then again, Disney's animatronics would probably have shown up Asimo's performance.

This shows you what a dork I am...

Instead of being excited for ASIMO and the exhibit, I was more thrilled that I got that showtime ticket to add to my Fastpass collection

Will Innoventions ever get a break?

• At the Gym or at DL

I'm wondering what the OP found so unsettling about the "underlying issue" of robots replacing humans. A robot is nothing more than a machine shaped (sort of) like a human and making human movements.

Ever since the dawn of the industrial revolution (and probably before) man has been using machines to replace human tasks. Especially tasks which are menial, boring and require little human skill. It makes sense to me to add dangerous to that list.

The US military is working right now on robot soldiers. I'll bet the families of our young men and women in uniform won't find that too unsettleing.

^^I agree

If you know people who are in the military, police force, bomb squad or work with dangerous chemicals, this is a necessary step in technology. and no this is not Robo-cop, I robot, or Short Circuit. stop beleiving scifi movies. Artificial Intelligence is science fiction. Machines are programmed to do various tasks and follow a procedure. Asimo would do everything he did on that stage even if the host was not there, because it is all pre-programmed.

someday you may have a robot in your home that can open doors, fold your laundry, and take out the trash, but its not gonna sleep with your husband or steal your money.

I was worried during the presentation when she kept talking about needing a babysitter for the kids. My Fear is that people of the future will be stupid enough to think that these machines CAN think on their own, and might try to leave small children in their care.

Quote Originally Posted by daddyb
    I saw the Asimo presentation. (Asimov / Asimo... anyone else notice the similarities, or am I just slow?)

While I didn't notice that the presentation being directed at children, I thought the whole presentation was extremely canned. There's nothing in the presentation that isn't scripted and timed out to the second. I mean, if an "animator" can "talk" to "Mushu" over at DCA's Animation building (by use of timing in their script) than what's to stop the whole Asimo presentation of being the same way. The whole show left me wondering if they just didn't program the little robot to
    • "move x number of steps this direction, turn x degrees and wave both hands. pause 32 seconds and move y direction 5 steps and pause"
    I would have like to seen Asimo interact with the audience to prove that there wasn't a "man behind the curtain" so to speak, or that the whole thing wasn't preprogrammed.

Was the soft, child-like voice even his? It came over the speakers as opposed to out of his body, so we have no way of telling.

I felt like the whole thing was one step above a lot of Hokum that you could find at any County Fair.

The going up and down stairs, the walking backwards, and the turning were impressive. It's just a matter of how interactive this robot really is.
    the robot isn't really ready to be interactive

voice commands still take too much work to pull off effectivly the robot can't take commands from just any old person

the face recognition gesture recogntion and voice recognition are all still under work which is why these products arn't seen in your regular home market just yet (and of course battery life is another issue that keeps these kinds of robots away from your house)

the whole point of Asimo is that we've finaly got walking down which is amazing for anybody who has ever researched mechanical engineering or just really thought about the process of walking

I think your expecting a little too much out of Asimo there is always a man behind the curtain telling the robot were to stand and what to do, heck even with the product intentions honda has said that it will assist the disssabled

by that they mean that dissabled people would direct and control this robot in doing things that they normaly can't do but the robot would in no way anticipate your needs and it's function as a seeing eye dog is just way off

it may be another ten years before the other technologies associated with a real interactive robot develope

Asimo is just a giant leap in one facet of the technology

• Animatronic

The robots are here are there's no way to stop them! If you can't beat them, join them and become a cyborg!

If by chance your name is Sarah Connor, stay away!!!

Thanks to everyone who replied. It was great to get different responses and views about ASIMO.

• CM for 4 years!

I saw the presentation, and honestly, I was a little scared myself. It's just eerie. The set up just felt like a horror movie. The first day that the robot is home, the parents are going out, the grandparents are coming over to watch the kids, and the kids told everyone at school... Late that night, while everyone was asleep... the robot slowly stands from his pseudo-"hibernation" ....

It creeps me out.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast