Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 62

Thread: ASMIO Concerns

  1. #1

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Codename Emily
    Posts
    413

    ASMIO Concerns

    After watching the ASMIO premiere on June 2nd, I had some concerns. The whole time I watched it, I felt uncomfortable rather than inspired by what ASMIO is. The premiere event seemed more like an infomerical than a presentation. Even though ASMIO himself isn't up for sale, the acceptance of him is.

    I found it interesting that the woman representing ASMIO always addressed the kids in the audience. Open ended questions and participation targeted the children. Maybe I am over analyzing this, but I really felt like the reason behind this is because those children in the audience, they are the future. If ASMIO is the start of a future in human replacement robots, then these two generations will grow with each other and early exposure and acceptance makes the transition smoother.

    I wasn't won over by ASMIO. If anything I felt unsettled. When the woman stated that ASMIO could replace Firefighters and people that clean up toxic waste, I didn't find that comforting. I felt like she dropped two dangerous job titles to mask the underlying issue of robots replacing humans, period. Has anyone else seen the ASMIO exhibit? What did you think of it?

  2. #2

    • Stop That!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Remaining Seated
    Posts
    966
    A word of warning: if ASIMO's eyes suddenly glow red and he starts lumbering towards the audience, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD GET OUT OF INNOVENTIONS!!

  3. #3

    • Looking for Love
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Napa, California
    Posts
    538
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherPixie
    After watching the ASMIO premiere on June 2nd, I had some concerns. The whole time I watched it, I felt uncomfortable rather than inspired by what ASMIO is. The premiere event seemed more like an infomerical than a presentation. Even though ASMIO himself isn't up for sale, the acceptance of him is.

    I found it interesting that the woman representing ASMIO always addressed the kids in the audience. Open ended questions and participation targeted the children. Maybe I am over analyzing this, but I really felt like the reason behind this is because those children in the audience, they are the future. If ASMIO is the start of a future in human replacement robots, then these two generations will grow with each other and early exposure and acceptance makes the transition smoother.

    I wasn't won over by ASMIO. If anything I felt unsettled. When the woman stated that ASMIO could replace Firefighters and people that clean up toxic waste, I didn't find that comforting. I felt like she dropped two dangerous job titles to mask the underlying issue of robots replacing humans, period. Has anyone else seen the ASMIO exhibit? What did you think of it?

    I agree, I haven't seen it yet, but I still agree. Thats very sneeky, and like you said, a little creepy. I think we need to take the advise of all those robot killing movies and lay off the advancements. Anything that is made for good can be made for evil, and that more stuff we don't need.....er......you know what I mean.

  4. #4

    • Resident Neuroscientist
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    on a college campus for the rest of my life
    Posts
    1,143
    If there is one thing we should learn from studying history, science will never be stopped (and I don't personally think it should be). I find this interesting, myself. After all, it was Walt who was the first to replace humans on his rides with Audio-Animatronics. This is just taking that further. I think it's pretty neat, myself. I'm not sure why it is disturbing to have robots being fire fighters and cleaning up toxic waste. I know my family would not want me to do either of those things, and if using robots can keep firefighters from dying, I welcome that. There are, of course, scary possibilities involved w/ developing robots, but such is all science.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!


  5. #5

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Codename Emily
    Posts
    413
    Quote Originally Posted by Derekuda
    I agree, I haven't seen it yet, but I still agree. Thats very sneeky, and like you said, a little creepy. I think we need to take the advise of all those robot killing movies and lay off the advancements. Anything that is made for good can be made for evil, and that more stuff we don't need.....er......you know what I mean.
    I just find it ironic that of all the places that ASMIO can have a home at, it's at Disneyland. The one place that children gravitate to the most. It was that and the way the woman presenting him specifically targeted the kids. Even in her gestures and tone of voice, it was like she was speaking to everyone in the address you would use towards a child.

    We should preserve humanity, not try to replace it. Anyone else have concerns?

  6. #6

    • Looking for Love
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Napa, California
    Posts
    538
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrateslife4me84
    If there is one thing we should learn from studying history, science will never be stopped (and I don't personally think it should be). I find this interesting, myself. After all, it was Walt who was the first to replace humans on his rides with Audio-Animatronics. This is just taking that further. I think it's pretty neat, myself. I'm not sure why it is disturbing to have robots being fire fighters and cleaning up toxic waste. I know my family would not want me to do either of those things, and if using robots can keep firefighters from dying, I welcome that. There are, of course, scary possibilities involved w/ developing robots, but such is all science.

    But there is a reason why we have those nasty jobs.....they are for rednecks and minoritys who illegaly sneak into the US and raise taxes. Nothing comes free in life.

  7. #7

    • Looking for Love
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Napa, California
    Posts
    538
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherPixie
    I just find it ironic that of all the places that ASMIO can have a home at, it's at Disneyland. The one place that children gravitate to the most. It was that and the way the woman presenting him specifically targeted the kids. Even in her gestures and tone of voice, it was like she was speaking to everyone in the address you would use towards a child.

    We should preserve humanity, not try to replace it. Anyone else have concerns?
    Well, there are two major motives for targeting children....one which is Disney who is a family company and their target audiance is children, and the other....which is kind of sneaky and creepy, but like you said...it's almost like a kind of brainwashing and trying to get kids to become natural to robots and that sort of thing.
    The objective is trying to figure out which one is the real target.

  8. #8

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Codename Emily
    Posts
    413
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrateslife4me84
    If there is one thing we should learn from studying history, science will never be stopped (and I don't personally think it should be). I find this interesting, myself. After all, it was Walt who was the first to replace humans on his rides with Audio-Animatronics. This is just taking that further. I think it's pretty neat, myself.
    I disagree about Walt replacing humans with Audio-Animatronics. Humans couldn't do the jobs that the Audio-Animatronics in the rides do. Audio-Animatronics and ASMIO are completely different. ASMIO is intended as a human replacement. He is not an attraction, his purpose is not to entertain like the Audio-Animatronics.

    Quote Originally Posted by pyrateslife4me84
    I'm not sure why it is disturbing to have robots being fire fighters and cleaning up toxic waste. I know my family would not want me to do either of those things, and if using robots can keep firefighters from dying, I welcome that. There are, of course, scary possibilities involved w/ developing robots, but such is all science.
    You are right, it's not disturbing to have robots be fire fighters and cleaning up toxic waste. That is the whole reason behind my comment about how ASMIO was presented as replacement for these jobs. The woman dropped two dangerous job occupations that would keep the audience feeling comfortable and safe towards such a change.

    So true about science, it is scary the possibilities. Don't even get me started on cloning.

  9. #9

    • I'm a Muscle Fan!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    WHY do you NEED to KNOW??!
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by BoogaFrito
    A word of warning: if ASIMO's eyes suddenly glow red and he starts lumbering towards the audience, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD GET OUT OF INNOVENTIONS!!
    much-needed silliness for a particularly dismal thread. This is what movies like the Matrix and the Terminator and tamagochis are all about. Robots shouldn't be treated like humans or given human-like functions (all right, so I cribbed this from I, Robot. So sue me...or rather, don't.)

  10. #10

    • Puppy Cuddles
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Probably in my room...
    Posts
    860
    Speaking of I, Robot, Anyone else get the sorta creepy similarity between Asimo and Asimov (as in Isaac, the guy who wrote that book)?

    I figure, progress happens whether we want it to or not. As long as we remain aware of the possible consequences, we should embrace something that has the potential to help so many people.
    The King is back and he's ready to kick some tail. Do not mess with a mouse in black.

  11. #11

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Nor-Cal
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherPixie
    After watching the ASMIO premiere on June 2nd, I had some concerns. The whole time I watched it, I felt uncomfortable rather than inspired by what ASMIO is. The premiere event seemed more like an infomerical than a presentation. Even though ASMIO himself isn't up for sale, the acceptance of him is.

    I found it interesting that the woman representing ASMIO always addressed the kids in the audience. Open ended questions and participation targeted the children. Maybe I am over analyzing this, but I really felt like the reason behind this is because those children in the audience, they are the future. If ASMIO is the start of a future in human replacement robots, then these two generations will grow with each other and early exposure and acceptance makes the transition smoother.

    I wasn't won over by ASMIO. If anything I felt unsettled. When the woman stated that ASMIO could replace Firefighters and people that clean up toxic waste, I didn't find that comforting. I felt like she dropped two dangerous job titles to mask the underlying issue of robots replacing humans, period. Has anyone else seen the ASMIO exhibit? What did you think of it?
    Yes, and aliens are coming from distant galaxies to kill the weak and force the able into slavery. Please. If they can build it, they can destroy it. Youve been watching too many movies. All of you!

  12. #12

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Codename Emily
    Posts
    413
    Quote Originally Posted by Subgoon
    Yes, and aliens are coming from distant galaxies to kill the weak and force the able into slavery. Please. If they can build it, they can destroy it. Youve been watching too many movies. All of you!
    I knew it!!!!

    See? I am not crazy one bit

    Just kidding

  13. #13

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Lakewood, CA
    Posts
    4,539
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherPixie
    After watching the ASMIO premiere on June 2nd, I had some concerns. The whole time I watched it, I felt uncomfortable rather than inspired by what ASMIO is. The premiere event seemed more like an infomerical than a presentation. Even though ASMIO himself isn't up for sale, the acceptance of him is.

    I found it interesting that the woman representing ASMIO always addressed the kids in the audience. Open ended questions and participation targeted the children. Maybe I am over analyzing this, but I really felt like the reason behind this is because those children in the audience, they are the future. If ASMIO is the start of a future in human replacement robots, then these two generations will grow with each other and early exposure and acceptance makes the transition smoother.

    I wasn't won over by ASMIO. If anything I felt unsettled. When the woman stated that ASMIO could replace Firefighters and people that clean up toxic waste, I didn't find that comforting. I felt like she dropped two dangerous job titles to mask the underlying issue of robots replacing humans, period. Has anyone else seen the ASMIO exhibit? What did you think of it?
    I cannot tell if you're being serious or sarcastic... If you're being sarcastic then HAHA... If you're being serious, why are you being serious?

    We've been enjoying POTC for decades and those were all robots. In fact, Disneyland is full of robots. Kids have been introduced to them for generations. Too much science fiction for you

  14. #14

    • The Magics in the details
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    193
    While AISMO does belong in innoventions, we have to relize that he's merely a Honda advertising ploy for Honda technology. It's easy to see that AISMO is preprogrammed for the Innoventions stage and does not have the ability to truly reason/make decisions about where to go. It's cute for the kids, but I hope that Honda brings in some cars and shows new engine technology, etc. I wouldn't mind if they opened a small test-track like (exit queue) display for showcase automobile technology...
    "To All Who Come To This Happy Place, Welcome!
    Disneyland is Your Land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and youth can saver the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will be a source of joy an inspiration to all the world.
    "
    -- Walter Elias Disney, July 17, 1955 approx 4:35PM

  15. #15

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,020
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCM
    While AISMO does belong in innoventions, we have to relize that he's merely a Honda advertising ploy for Honda technology. It's easy to see that AISMO is preprogrammed for the Innoventions stage and does not have the ability to truly reason/make decisions about where to go. It's cute for the kids, but I hope that Honda brings in some cars and shows new engine technology, etc. I wouldn't mind if they opened a small test-track like (exit queue) display for showcase automobile technology...
    Bingo. Until some significant advances can be made in Artificial Intelligence, robots like ASIMO will be mere curiosities. Without these advances, robots will be useful only for repetitive tasks, like on car assembly lines (and tough to program as well). I wouldn't worry about firefighters losing their jobs any time soon.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Heavy concerns
    By NemoVir in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-30-2007, 09:09 AM
  2. Whats coming for ASMIO???
    By aluisi in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-08-2005, 10:42 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •